NEC VR5: 1280x720@50 works fine

cj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well fed up with all the recent negativity on this screen I pulled in my Crystalio from my projector room, hooked it up to my NEC VM5, switched the output resolution from 1280x720@60 to 1280x720@50 and got a picture right away. It was initally offset compared to the 60hz signal, but after about 30 seconds playing with the settings we have a great picture, with no FRC.

In fact we're all currently watching the Arsenal vs. Man United game at 1280x720@50hz, and no one's complaining one bit :) I even used the Sky+ box via S-Video (and not SDI) and the picture looks fine.

Bear in mind I own both a Panasonic PW7 and a NEC VM5, so am not trying to validate my purchase - I like them both :)

The VR5/VM5 DOES accept 1280x720@50hz via DVI, and the PW7 currently does not.

P.S. Cracking game - now 2-3 to Man United.

Well IMO the VM5/VR5 is a cracking screen and doesn't deserve the negative press it's been getting here in the last few days. It's cheaper, comes with far more connection options than the PW7 - you can even connect it via RGB SCART according to the manual (with the right cable) - and has a far better chance of being compatible with Sky HD at the moment than the PW7 (which currently has NO chance via DVI unless you shell out nearly £1000 on an external scaler).

Yes the PW7 is a great screen also, and people might prefer the picture to the NEC, but there are just so many factors involved in getting a "better picture" and I think having a level playing field when comparing them is nigh on impossible.

Yes I've had the PW7 (and PW4 before that) in MY living room, fed with MY sources, setup by ME. I'm a long way off from being an expert, but my family and I have over 5000 hours "normal" viewing on the Pannys, and we're just as happy with the VM5 currently on the wall, and equally my parents' are enjoying my PW7 on their wall.

Excuse my ignorance CJ, but what is the "Crystalio" ? and what does it do to enable the NEC to display 720p/50 ?

Cheers

Taz

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
it's a scaler. It takes in one resolution and sticks out another...CJ has set his to stick out 720@50.

Gordon

Cheers m8, does that mean to display 720p/50 on the NEC, I would have to buy a scaler like the PW7 needs, making it another grand on top or ?

Taz

Here we go again :)

No it doesn't - I was just using my Crystalio to output a 1280x720/50 signal as I don't have any other device that is capable.

The PW7 currently cannot accept a 1280x720/50 signal via DVI and you would have to buy a scaler to convert the 1280x720/50 signal to a 1280x720/60 signal that the PW7 does accept.

We still can't conclude that the NEC will 100% be able to display the output directly from the SKy HD box via DVI - we won't know until it makes an appearance and someone tries it. But the PW7 currently has no chance, unless you buy a scaler.

Not necessarly. CJ did this test as there has been some speculation that NEC are falsely advertising the 720P@50 compatablity of this panel. The reality is that 720P@50 can take many forms......and those testing so far have not been able get the panel to sync with their sources. We'll have to wait for HD 720@50 to find out definatively about compatablity with SKY HD but for now we know it's more than capable of working....given a little time and patience.

Gordon

Cool, thanks Cj and Gordon, I know its been played to the death about this HD compliant etc, but at least it sounds promising

Thanks for your replies guys

Taz

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
Not necessarly. CJ did this test as there has been some speculation that NEC are falsely advertising the 720P@50 compatablity of this panel. The reality is that 720P@50 can take many forms......and those testing so far have not been able get the panel to sync with their sources. We'll have to wait for HD 720@50 to find out definatively about compatablity with SKY HD but for now we know it's more than capable of working....given a little time and patience.

Gordon

Gordon, NEC do not advertise that the VR/VM will work at 720@50Hz, just thought I'd point that out.

Regards
Andy

just to put onw thing to bed it was the XR3 that i tried to view 720p@50 (more important that the HD panel accepted HD signls to my mind) and it would work at 50Hz ran out of time to test the VR5 unfortunately..... If people actually read the test results (long i now i wrote them) instead of scanning the text and picking on small bits and misquoating we wouldn't have half this mess.....

Onto another point, even though it does'nt concern me personally as I doubt I'll be getting sky anytime soon.
I'm no expert so could someone explain?
Even if the VR/VM did'nt accept 720@50Hz properly, could you not send it to the panel and let the panel convert it to 60Hz as it does on std settings? or is there more to it than that?

Andy.

hornydragon said:
just to put onw thing to bed it was the XR3 that i tried to view 720p@50 (more important that the HD panel accepted HD signls to my mind) and it would work at 50Hz ran out of time to test the VR5 unfortunately..... If people actually read the test results (long i now i wrote them) instead of scanning the text and picking on small bits and misquoating we wouldn't have half this mess.....

Well I guess the "confusion" might come from posts like this from the "PW7 vs. VR5" thread: -

hornydragon said:
OK guys the NEC manual has NO support for 720p @ 50Hz FACT.
If it works bonus, but it will not be plug and play........I tried that it didnt work.

This is from the "PW7 vs. VR5" thread (and not the "PW7 vs. XR3" thread). When you say "I tried that it didnt work." I assumed you'd actually tried it and it didn't work. My mistake :)

Anyway - mostly all cleared up now :laugh:

hornydragon, you NEVER give up - do you? :suicide:

cj, thanks a lot for clarifying this - yet again - and making it a clear thread title helps too. :thumbsup:

NOTE TO MODS

Please insert a NEW Rule in CJ's profile -

Rule 01. I must NEVER post the result (or mid game score) from any big matches that Joe is recording to SKY+ to watch later in the evening :)

Best regards

Joe

OMG sorry Joe - forgot some people might be recording it :blush:

Morning CJ

Luckily enough it was still well worth watching the match!!!

Its always the 'sources' you least expect that catch you out when your time shifting the footie I find.

Best regards

Joe

To be fair, HD, it was MAW's initial write-up that implied both NEC panels had problems - although it was actually talking about the XR3. I think one of the good things coming out of the mega-test is how the VR5 has risen, phoenix-like, from the ashes of the XR3 testing and has generated a lot of discussion, much of it positive and will perhaps attract a following (in much the same way as the LG PX11 has) due to its overall features and price - competition is a good thing for the UK plasma market in general - it means better (and cheaper) screens for us all.

Mornin'

Due to time constraints,as Hornydragon stated, we couldn't test the VR5 with 720P @ 50Hz. I have since played with it and can confirm that the VR5 will take 720P @ 50Hz on the DVI input.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom