NEC VR5: 1280x720@50 works fine

YEs well as i said my testing was done on the XR3 MAW's was done on the XM3 I think i could have been clearer in the descriptions of XR3 and VR5 and what comments applied to what....I dont doubt that it is possible to get either NEC to display some kind of picture using 720p@50Hz over DVi with HDCP I think the quality does leave a lot to be desired on the XR3 and XM3 screens...... and whether it will work with a set top box from sky is another issue..... its seems to take quite a lot of fiddling with an Iscan HD output to get it working, all I am going to say is that there is no gaurantee it will work with Sky HD until the STB's are available........and generating debate and discussion is very worthwhile.......especially when it gets members who own the kit to start playing around and trying stuff out..... Well done cj just hope you can put it all back mate......without issue

hornydragon said:
Well done cj just hope you can put it all back mate......without issue

No worries - all in and out in a few minutes. Did give me a chance to do some dusting though :)

Does anyone know where these 2 SDI cables are supposed to go???

hornydragon said:
all I am going to say is that there is no gaurantee it will work with Sky HD until the STB's are available........

Surely this applies to ALL screens. There is no guarantee that any of them will work until we plug the STB into them? Not just the NEC.

Blu Ray said:
Surely this applies to ALL screens. There is no guarantee that any of them will work until we plug the STB into them? Not just the NEC.

Absolutely, but we know here are some screens that 100% definitely will NOT work via direct connnection DVI (unless Panasonic decide to do something about it of course).

Right, I had the same interrogation... Gotta be extra careful with these statements... I guess one could also say "We can't be sure that the Pioneer 435/505 series will work with SkyHD's STB when it becomes available" for the same reasons, really not a NEC-specific issue.

OTOH I'd be more than interested to see a detailed technical explanation as to why 1280x720p@50Hz via HDMi would work with today's DVD players and not with SkyHD's future STB (HDMi, and 1280x720p@50Hz too)... Anyone? :confused:

EDIT: Horny, funny how you posted yr comment on the Pio's being more future proof'ed than the NECs (and why would that be, beside the fact that you don't fancy NEC plasmas? :confused: ) while I was typing the above... what a coincidence! :D

UPscaling DVD players are not native 720p@50Hz and the scaling can be causing interesting things....... Pioneer are the only compay who publish 720p@50Hz HDCP support as far as i know....HENCE if it doesnt work you have recourse with them. NEC do not publish 720p@50Hz HDCP support so if it doesnt work tough luck not their problem...........BUT until the STB is available there is no Guarantee but thats the same for everything.....Sagem DLP support 720p@50Hz DVi but HDCP......so it is a minefield at the moment.......

Guess you have a point, although look at how Panasonic says "HDMi 1.1 compliant" in their specs and we all know by now what it is in reality (read: *not* fully compliant) ... :mad:

Oh well, I guess time will tell... too bad we have to make a decision _today_! :rolleyes:

Panny royally screwed that one up mate.......and you can wait longer............you jsut dont want to and you dont want to "waste" your money......but what will you do with all the time you save not worrying about this, when you have bought one???

peezee said:
OTOH I'd be more than interested to see a detailed technical explanation as to why 1280x720p@50Hz via HDMi would work with today's DVD players and not with SkyHD's future STB (HDMi, and 1280x720p@50Hz too)... Anyone? :confused:

Better leave that one to Gordon - as he said not all 720P@50 is the same. I guess this is because there are more variables in the signal than just number of pixels and vertical refresh rate.

perhaps gordon can answer something that has been puzzling me of late with all these issues over vertical refresh,why doesnt the same happen with horizontal? The JS RGB>VGA strips a 15.25kHz is it? horizotal refresh out of the composite line on an RGB scart signal...... this is not compatible with all plasmas some of which have scarts...Hitachi for example..............is it just that the Standard for VGA is 30kHz Horizontal refresh so it just isnt included????

HD - that's a slightly different issue if I understand your post correctly. Some plasmas via VGA do not accept a signal of less than 30Khz, interlaced video runs at 15.625khz. Even if the RGB scart can accept the 15.625Khz RGB signal it doesn't mean that with or without the JS box inline the VGA will do so. This is exactly the same as the Panasonic accepting 50Hz 720p into it's component sockets, but being completely confused if that very same signal (albeit digitally) is sent to the DVI or HDMi ports. In other words its all complete and utter madness!!!!

what is was reffering to is WHY does vertical cause so much hassle never seen a real issue horizontal sync on a plasma except via the JS box............which use the 15.625kHz interlaced video sync which is outside VESA parameters

Ah gotcha. TBH I don't know why it works with some signals and isn't allowed on others. The vertical refresh rate relates to the amount of refreshes a second the image undergoes. Much older hardware (and some current/not-so-old such as DLPs with fixed speed colour wheels) can only do one refresh rate, usually 60Hz. I imagine over the years as the hardware has moved out of being fixed at a 60Hz refresh the programmers who build the processors never bothered to add other timings. Otherwise I really don't know but I am willing to bet is the laziness of someone somewhere who was sat at his terminal late one night working on the 720p @ 50Hz algorithm. Got frustrated at not getting it right, or had a party to go to or something so decided to just drop it off the spec instead! Seriously though, without an understanding of the mathematics behind video processor I fear if someone explained it to me I still wouldn't know!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom