1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC video card (one for Gordon I think)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by simon69, Jan 24, 2002.

1. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

Before I start I would like to say that this is not a convergence problem.

I have an NEC 9PG+ there is a blue ringing aroung objects etc. when the projector is connected to my DVD player by an s-vhs lead. When connected by a composite lead the ringing disappears.

I have a friend with a 9PG who is experiencing the same problems. Even when a using an extremely expensive s-vhs lead the ringing is still there.

HOWEVER, when the projector is connected to his HTPC (I think its VGA to 5BNC) the ringing vanishes. I have read on a post somewhere that there may be a problem with the NEC video card but I cannot find the post anymore.

Can anyone help with this problem, some may say but a HTPC or scaler but is there any solution that will remove the ringing until I can afford a scaler or HTPC.

We eagerly await your responses.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I must confess to never using the composite or s-video inputs on any of the NEC's I've had. In fact, most didn't actually have video boards installed.

This sounds to me like a Y/C delay problem believe it or not. Folk appear to have a halo around them as the colour is shifted over a bit compared to where the black and white image is. It's usually noticed most on folks faces.

If you email me I can give you a contact email and phone number for a company that do NEC CRT repairs in this country. They are in Bedford. Their guy might help you on the phone but more likely they'll want some cash.....If the picture is acceptable through composite then just use that as I'd think the repair cost may be more than you would wish to pay..Not sure if there is apot that can be twiddled on the vdeo board....I have a NEC switcher in my loft. It has the same video board. If I get a chance I'llpull it out and have a look on theboard.

An alteranative may be to get a scart switcher and send Sky and DVD to the thing in RGBcomposite sync. Or put the sync on green by putting a 50ohm resister between pin 19 and the Green signal pin on the scart to the Porjector.

Having said that these devices will look MUCH better if you feed them AT LEAST a line doubled signal. Try and find an Iscan or Quadscan from somewhere. With a great projector like those you'll be astounded, as you probably already are with the HTPC...

Gordon

3. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Gordon

It does seem strange that it is happening on two seperate projectors, I think I will go down the HTPC/scaler path.

Thanks again.