nec v panny

john R1

Ex Member
Reaction score
is anybody using either a nec pv4 or panny pw6, could you pass on your comments, had a demo this week on both and the pv4 is just edging it in imho, am going to have one more demo on monday before i make my mind up anyone had problems with the panasonic warranty as have some feedback from dealers which did not sound to clever,

Well I'll vote for the NEC as I have one ;) Personally think it's great - excellent connectivity as standard inc DVI, good picture (better than a 5 series Panasonic, from personal experience) and a three year warranty as standard too - which must say something about the product. Produces a good composite poicture too - perhaps not something most of us ever use, but if you do need to it's useful to know it works well. Can't comment on the 6 series, though respected dealers - who sell it - have said they're not as keen on it as they were hoping, and it's not as good as an early series 4.

As an aside I've very recently seen the VP4 for <£2500 online which makes it a good bit less expensive too when you think about the extra cards for the 6 series.

Downsides? Only thing I can find is that on some Freeview sources larger areas of skin tones can sometimes band a little on fast pans. Although this seems to have lessened with use (running in perhaps).

Get one - be nice to have another NEC owner on here!

Additional comment - suffered no lip sync issues with the NEC where I did find quite a few using the 5 series - don't know if this is bttter/quicker processing in the NEC or the broadcasters improving their act but worth noting.

As a panny 6 owner, i would of course say that it is best.

I think that saying most dealers are a little dissappointed by the panny 6 and think it is not as good as the 4 series is rubbish, just an excuse for not purchasing it (RossC, not a dig mate, i am sure the NEC is excellent but is a comment i hear lots of people say, NONE OF WHICH being dealers)......check out the threads on this forum, plenty of very respectable dealers think the PW6 is excellent.

I find colours, blacks, tones, movement and lip sync all to be superb and am totally blown away with it.

But, i would say that so many of the plasma's are now very good, like the fuji's, NEC, pioneer etc whichever you decide on ultimately you will be incredibly happy with.....just spend a while looking around to make your own mind up as different people are susceptible to different issues and will have compleetly different tastes in what a good picture should look like.

it was some respected dealers who recommened the nec to me, and they also sell the pw6, so its not just owners who say good things about the pv4 but like you say at the end of the day its down to personal choice

just to add to the argument i at present have a 37" pw5 and i have been more than happy with it, i went out to look at the 42" pw6 and it was the dealer who suggested i looked at the nec, also having seen the review on the pv4 by home cinema choice which said it was not up to the mark i would not have even have considered the nec, i shall know in future to take magazine reviews with a pinch of salt

I can recommend the NEC very highly. Beautifully sharp, clear, with gorgeous deep colours, even better now that I have upgraded the component cable from the denon 3803 to the screen.

It looks stunning with dvd, but what has surprised me most is the quality of the picture on sky, as long as the bitrate is good. I am using an RGB->component convertor, and it really does extremely well with the sky broadcasts.

It's also very very quiet, if that matters...

Stevie

No offence taken Matravers - as I said I've not performed a direct comparison, just passing on the comments of three dealers who sell both NEC and Panasonic and were just not impressed with the 6 series.
Glad you're pleased and as you say we all have different tastes (thanks goodness!) - vive la difference!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom