1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC repair question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by applesmash, Mar 3, 2005.

1. applesmash

applesmash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

SO I took my NEC 1030 projector in to be repaired. They told me it needs a new optical base. What exactly is that? Or are they full of it?

Dave

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If the projector you're referring to is a NEC MT1030 (Click Here for Brochure ) it's an LCD proejctor. Did the person by any chance tell you it needs a new optical block ? (An optical block is the assembly of the three LCD panels and related optics at the heart of the projector - they're usually quite expensive to replace.)

Without a description of the problem - "So I took my projector in to be repaired" doesn't give us much to go on........If you described the problem which caused you to bring it into a repair centre someone here might be able to hazard a guess whether the diagnosis sounds right.

The expression " or are they full of it" suggests some lack of faith in the people you asked to look at it. If you are uneasy with the diagnosis, perhaps you could contact NEC directly describing the problem and ask for confirmation.

Sean G.

3. applesmash

applesmash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply Sean.

Yes it's the MT1030, the message was written on paper, so I'm our receptionist meant to write optical base. They mentioned it's a $3,450 US part.

The symptoms were that the far right of the the display was hued yellow towards the edges. There was also some minor distortion of what was being displayed. Disconnected everything and the symptoms were also noticable on the menu.

I don't know much about the part or how expensive it is so I'm looking for a second opinion.

Thanks

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Without seeing the problem in person or having a look inside the projector (I haven't come across a Service Manual for that model) it's practically impossible to make an diagnosis. Yellowing in the image would point to a damaged blue polariser, if there is distortion in the image it could well be something more severe in addition to that. The design of the optical block might not allow replacement of the blue polariser on it's own - I just don't know. One way or the other if it's a $3000+ replacement part the projector isn't worth fixing - for that money you'll buy a new model which will surpass your existing projector by a long way.

Sean G.

5. applesmash

applesmash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for trying.
    I'll see if anyone wants to buy it for parts.