1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC projector help needed!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rfield, Feb 1, 2002.

1. rfield

rfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the advice of several people on the AVSForum, etc. I purchased an NEC VT540 projector (LCD), which has the potential to be superb but is held back by two really annoying issues.

Firstly, there are two dead green pixels and one blue one - extremely annoying.
    Secondly, and far worse, there is a red 'fog' at the top left of the picture, and a green one at the top right - most noticable on B&W movies, and grey areas. This extends about 1/8th of the way across the entire picture.

The major problem I have is that NEC are being extremely difficult about helping out in any way, and the people that I purchased from don't seem to return calls once they've taken the cash.

I returned the projector to NEC to examine, but they simply came back with a corporate 'the projector is in spec' answer (the projector is coming up to two months old by the way, and I first reported the fault within two weeks of purchase).

One of the initial reasons for going for an NEC model was the supposed excellent warranty service that they offer, but I can't say that I've seen any evidence of it so far...

Does anyone have any advice or similar experience that they resolved to their satisfaction? I'm currently stuck with a £3k projector that picture-wise looks like a £50 television.

If anyone is interested in how things turn out, I'll keep things updated, but currently, I'd say steer well clear of NEC UK.

Any help received with thanks!
    Rupert

2. rfield

rfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I've tried to adjust the picture settings quite extensively - without much luck though. How vivid was the fogging on your projector? Mine is a vivid magenta when on a grey background - does this still sound normal?

Regarding the dead pixel problem, I didn't know if I'd be able to get it exchanged, but I thought if I explained both issues to NEC then a bit of human compassion might pop up :)

Do you remember who at NEC you spoke to when you had it replaced? I seem to have hit a bunch of red-tape at the moment, and it's really getting to me...

PS Yes, it is the K model BTW. Generally, I'd say it's an excellent projector - it seems to handle absolutely every video format I can throw at it, up to 1080i. The component and RGB support seems especially good.

Rupert

3. Simon55

Simon55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

the problems you are experiencing must be a fault with the unit, i dont have any problems with mine, the picturs is superb (using an 8foot wide screen) on both s-video, composite, and computer feeds i have no gripes whatsoever, i have one dead blue pixel but its right in the corner and i cant see it on almost all scenes and even when u can see it its hardly even noticable as its right in the corner :)

I can assure you that its an excellent projector when working properly on an MDF icestrom 5 screen

BTW i am running eco mode and havent changed any picture options at all.

4. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    We've got a VT440 and I think it's fair to say that the NEC projectors are quite prone to duff pixels. The first unit was returned as there were two bright blue pixels right in the centre of the screen. Fortunately the shop we bought it front took it back no problems - they even tested the next one out before despatch. You should insist that the suppliers replace the unit or give you your money back - the symptoms you describe mean it's clearly defective.

EffTee

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Fogging you refer to is a clasic LCD feature. It is caused mainly by uneven heat distribution across the pannel. Does it change as the projector heats up? Make absolutely sure the air in and outs are not restriced in any way. If it suking from underneith lift the projector a little just in case.

The fogging know as Uniformity most projectors have an adjustment for it but it will be very heavly burrried in the service,service menu.

6. rfield

rfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm contacting NEC support this morning armed with my newly garnered knowledge - I'll drop colour uniformity into the conversation a few times and see if it makes a difference!

Roland - it's interesting that you say its a heat issue - it does sometimes seem to get worse on extended viewing (or maybe it just annoys me more over time!). I have tried lifting the unit up, and making sure the ventilation ports are clean and free from obstruction, without any luck. It does seem to be present as soon as the projector is turned on though, although I guess they probably heat up quite quickly. If I don't get any joy from NEC, I may have to start digging around in the service menus, I guess! :(

I'm feeding a progressive scan component picture into it for DVD, XBox and Gamecube. They all look fantastic, apart from the Gamecube which doesn't seem to benefit that much from the progressive ability. Definitely worth doing for DVD though in my opinion.

Rupert

7. rfield

rfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not tried PAL progressive unfortunately - I know it's possible to alter stand-alone DVD players to output PAL progressive, but I don't see the point yet really - it's easier to import the R1 DVD (unless HM Customs is reading this, in which case I would never do something that naughty).:devil:
    None of my consoles output PAL progressive either, but if the effect is the same as NTSC sources, it makes everything look more film-like - doesn't really seem to improve the picture but everything moves more smoothly (if that makes sense).

I tried contacting NEC support today BTW, but haven't had the chance to dazzle them with my technical phrasebook - despite leaving several messages, they chose to ignore my request to be called back.

Thankfully, the company that sold me the machine seem to be a bit more helpful recently, so I'll be ringing them tomorrow to see if I can arrange a replacement.

8. craigj

craigj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Did you ever get anywhere with your faulty projector? I have the same model as yours and have a very slight fogging in the top left as well!