NEC Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Plump, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone knows why NEC 42MP4 is no true 16:9 resolution?
    I was just about to buy this one but then I realized it is only real XGA and not 16:9.
    42MP3 has no 720 lines and 50MP2 is too expensive.
    Any reasons?
    Cheers
    Plump

2. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The MP4 (and Panasonic PWD5, Pioneer 433) have 16:9 rectangular pixels so the 4:3 numerical resolution is mapped onto the 16:9 display area.

3. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plump,

Where were you going to buy - I had no idea it was available in the UK yet?

Phil

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NEC said that the MP4 would be available 3rd or 4th week in August

When I enquired about 10 days ago

5. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,
    I was going to put an order in Berlin in Germany, that's the closest big city across the border to where I live. They apparently already have them there.
    But since it's a lot of money and I need something which should work at least for next ten years I wanted to be ready for eventual 720 resolution. I know it will probably never come in europe, but it is not forbidden to dream, isn't it? And sometimes it is good to be on the safe side, etc.
    So I'll either wait for next model or save some more money for 50MP2 or simmilar display that may be coming soon.
    Cheers
    Kastrup

6. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Party Animal - will keep an eye out for it.

Plump,
    I would also like to think that such a big investment would last, if not 10 years, then at least 5. I haven't really looked into what will happen in broadcasting in Europe, but 3 things really make we want a hi-res display:

a) in case I go down the HTPC/HCPC route and in any case because I fancy using my laptop for some surfing/ work/ games from time to time
    b) because even if HDTV doesn't arrive, presumably the quality of DVDs will continue to increase to serve the US HDTV market and create more sales for Philips, Sony etc. I.e. there will be more data in the frames/ lower compression and so the DVDs (or whatever - BlueRay?) will look better on a higher def display
    c) the craziness of buying a multi-thousand euro device with the same resolution as the 14" VGA monitor I used when I started out in computing 10+ years ago.

If I could have my ideal plasma it would be a square-pixelled 768-line Pioneer/Panasonic 43"/42" with a decent media box containing a digital tuner (or 2). Oh, and in silver too.

So I think I'll keep dreaming (or trying to work out whether I can really afford a 50" Pio/Panny and how it would fit in my lounge) ...but at that price point, the idea of a decent 36" CRT and an LCD or DLP projector combination starts to appeal.

I'll do what I always do then - realise that I don't REALLY need a new TV and wait and see what comes out next. E.g. I wonder if the new Samsung DLP WXGA rear-projection sets will arrive in Europe this year.

Hmmm...
    Phil