1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC MT1040 Bending or warped image

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by weborific, Jan 24, 2005.

1. weborific

weborific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have a few questions to which I cannot find answers to. I own a projector (NEC MT1040) and some DVD's produce a bend or curve in the top portion of the image that is only seen when using component cables through the projector's RGB input. Again, this is only SOME DVD's. At first, I thought it only happened with widescreen movied, but that's not the case. The funny thing is that usually the DVD's menu screens (PLAY MOVIE, OPTIONS, AUDIO SETUP, ETC) are displayed properly, but the movie itself causes the
    glitch. This goes for both my Star Wars (episodes 1 and 2, both wide-screen) and The Family Guy (4:3 aspect ratio). Is it because I'm not sending a sync signal to the projector?

Also, another problem I'm having is jagged edges. Again, only on some DVD's and of varying noticeability. This problem also only occurs using component cables. Is this a question of aspect ratios being scaled? Are the problems I'm having due to progressive scan signals? Do i need to purchase an external scaler (expensive)? I have my satelite receiver on S-video and my VCR on RCA video. I want my DVD connected as-is. Any help would be greatly appreciated! so THANKS in advance!!

PS: I also noticed that my picture was blurry. It ended-up being that my cables were too long. My cables were 50 feet long. I cut-off 20 feet and the picture is much better now. So signal degredation was the problem there. I was hoping that shortening the cables would also help with the other 2 problems, but no such luck.

2. weborific

weborific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    by the way, the specs of the projector are:

4:3 aspect ratio
    native 1024x768 resolution
    max resolution 1280x1024

again, any help would be greatly appreciated..CHEERS!

3. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two experiments for you...

(1) Try with a much shorter cable, as a temporary test, see if you are losing the sync over the length of the cable - 30ft left, only 10m, should be okay, which leads me to...

(2) Borrow another DVD player, see if that cures the problem, maybe some problem with the output stage of the DVD player.

One other thing interests me, you've cropped the cable from 50' to 30', which suggests you havn't got a fantasically expensive cable (most people would be reluctant to take a pair of snips to a £xxxxx cable), what sort of cable?, home made or shop bought, what type of cable (e.g. shielded, coax), and impedance?

4. weborific

weborific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Summat! Thanks for replying! Been going crazy. I wanted to first try shortening my cables before spending money on 1-shot shorter cables. I won't be able to test the projector until Friday night, since I've installed it at my girlfriend's apartment. So I guess I'll either buy new cables or I think I'll just make them from the extra lengths I cut-off. I borrowed a brother's DVD player about 2 months ago but all I remember is that picture was still jagged using his Toshiba vs my Avia. Come to think of it, not only is picture jagged when using component input, but only when on PROGRESSIVE signal. Picture is not jagged when using INTERLACED mode, but image quality suffers greatly, so I leave it on progressive. At that time, I was only testing for jagged edges, not for bending picture. I will have my girlfriend plug-in a 3rd DVD player tomorrow and I can have her check for bending. I have tried all settings on my projector and DVD player to correct this problem, but to no avail. Forgot to mention that bending also occured when I rented full-screen Troy and have to re-connect DVD player to S-video. It just puzzles me why it only happens on some DVD's. I will definately keep you posted! Will write results of 3rd DVD player tomorrow. Thanks again and if anybody has a tip, don't be shy! My post is your post.

5. weborific

weborific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to answer your last question... i bought the cables from an electonics surplus store. The biggest of its kind in Canada. Everything there is MUCH cheaper in price compared to other places. They have categories for things such as AV cables. Average quality, good, very good, excellent... The cables I bought are EXTREME quality. So who knows? The only info I can give is: Triple RCA male RGB cable, gold plated, for HDTV, extreme quality. The cable is a coax cable with a braid shield and foil shield. I don't know the impedence. The conductor is made of stranded wire, not solid. I didn't mind cutting the extra length when I thought quality was being affected. Glad I did. :)

6. OilerFan

OilerFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I wanted to find out if a solution was found for this problem. I have the same warping issue with my MT1050. The warping only occurs on some DVDs and only in progressive scan (the warping goes away when sending an interlaced signal).

I have tested with two DVD players (Panasonic RP91 and an LG upconverting player) and both display the same issue. I contacted NEC and they stated it was likely due to the macrovision copy protection, as the MT1050 was produced prior to macrovision being incorporated into DVD players.

Based on that information, I was able to modify my RP91 to be macrovision free. This did not solve the problem either, so now I'm at a loss. I would love to find out how to correct the warping, as the interlaced signal quality is just not on par with the quality of the progressive scan signal (less the warping).

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Darren

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Does it do it on both PAL and NTSC progressive scan inputs? I'm wondering if it was before PAL Progressive was properly ratified so it might be having trouble with it.

Gary.

8. OilerFan

OilerFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooops. I should have updated my profile before I posted (have done so now). I'm actually from Canada, so my DVD player is NTSC.

Thanks

9. OilerFan

OilerFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I was wrong, I was not able to remove the macrovision protection from my DVD player so it appears macrovision is actually the culprit.

I needed the original Panasonic Service Disc 2 to remove macrovision. I burned a copy of the disc for myself, and thought it worked, but found it didn't and that I'd need a special burner. Oh well, the search continues.

Anyone here have the disc?

10. weborific

weborific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crud, nobody answered for ages, so i never checked-back. Sorry. OK, Oilerfan.... sorry for not replying sooner. Never checked-back. I never found a solution, but I know for a FACT that macrovision is the problem. Mt NEC MT1040 died and I bought a NEC VT670, a newer model. NO PROBLEMS. Also, when the MT1040 was working, I made a backup copy of a movie I knew created the warping problem and removed macrovision protection from that backup. It played FLAWLESSLY. Even the jaggies were mostly gone save for a minor (normal) amout. So I never found a solution aside from buying a newer projector. Sorry I couldn't help any more than this....