1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nec lt150z anyone know anything about these?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RonBurgundy, Sep 6, 2005.

1. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    as per title been offered one as part ex on my seakers does anyone have any knowledge of them or what it would be worth on the forums?

2. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Back about 3 years ago when 'Purpose Built' home cinema projectors where few and far between and somewhat more expensive than they are now, the LT150Z was considered the hidden star of 'business' projectors. It was enormously popular in the states, where people devoted whole websites to how to get the best from them. (you may even be able to find one or two of them, try hunting the american avsforums)

What that means in todays terms, is that if you can get one it will give you a decent picture for a starter machine.

however good it's picture is, the issue with it's age is that it won;t have any financial value. (but I guess if you;re looking for a cheap starting point, that's a good thing!)

Hope this helps.

3. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    thanks for that thats more than i found in 20mins of googling!!

if you had to put a price on one what would you say? very rough estimate i know with out details of condition but apparently has remote etc. and lets say middle of the rpad lamp hours used so far!

thanks

4. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    been informed it has 12hrs on the lamp and he reckons its worth min £1000

what do people think?

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I would say £250 max.

6. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I've got a NEC LT75z which is identical to the LT150z in every respect other than the resolution of the panel. I bought it about 4 years ago and have been very pleased with it. The reason for choosing it was that I needed a projector for work and needed to be able to carry it around as well as for home cinema use. However I'm now in the process of buying a new projector for home - keeping the NEC for work where it's portability is more important than it's performance.

The LT150z (and the LT75z) were pretty good in their day but are now far behind what you could expect from a new budget projector. Asking £1k for it is ludicrous, a new Optoma H30A or Infocus 4805 would murder it and cost hundreds less. Or a Z3 but I've never seen one of those so can't comment.

One of the weakest parts of the machine is the fan noise, it really is very noisy, like an old fan heater. Also as a rather old DLP machine it's got a slower colour wheel than is usual these days. If you're prone to RBE you'll see it on this!

Another aspect of the LT150z is that the bulb life is only 1000 hours at full power and new bulbs for it cost an horrendous £400 or so. This is both a much shorter life and significantly more expensive than is usual these days. You'd be wise to check the actual bulb life - it's given on the menus - but an unscrupulous seller can reset it without changing the bulb.

Notwithstanding all of this the picture is not bad at all. It's reasonably sharp and reasonably contrasty - for it's age. but it won't take PAL progressive scan (only NTSC) like most projectors of a similar age. Obviously no digital input, no hi- def, you can only use component or even RGB via a VGA to component or VGA to scart adaptor.

I have genuinely had a lot of pleasure from my machine but it's retirement is overdue. It's well and truly had it's day. You can do MUCH MUCH better for £7 or £800 these days. If you can't run to that don't pay more than £200 or so. Remember the cost of those bulbs.

If you want to know more please feel free to PM me.