1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC LT150 from US?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr.D, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Don't know if anyone else has noticed the hubub going on over at the AVS forums about this projector in the LCD,DLP,Dila forum.

Dell in the states were selling it for $1700 which is a huge mark-down. They've since intimated its a mistake or that they are out of stock ( bit hazy) and the price is back up to around $2600 which is still a very respectable markdown. (normally around $4200 in US although seen it as high as $8000 australian)

This would all be imaterial if it weren't for the fact that this projector seems to be very highly regarded performance wise. Its a DLP it uses a 1024x768 panel (from what I can gather) in built scaler/deinterlacer. Crucially its been stated that it has very good black level and very good colour rendition ( accuracy wise I can't say) minimal reported rainbowing with clear segment switched off and its slighlty smaller than a largish laptop. Down sides seem to be no optical zoom relatively short bulb life with fairly expensive replacement and fairly high fan noise.

Does anyone have any experience of this unit?
    Secondly If I fancied one I have a few friends in the states who could purchase it and send it over anyone have any experience doing this with fairly expensive items?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I've bought stuff from Digital Connection, and it all went very well. Getting anything shipped over from the States will probably cost you import duty and tax. Be ready to pay for that too.

If you get your friends to send it over, make sure they send it as a gift with a covering letter saying that it's a present (happy birthday or something). Then you should get away without paying import etc.

Warrenty and servicing may be a problem but some companies do accept items bought abroad. You'll have to get the reciept sent via letter post - not in the parcel.

HTH

Gary.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Thanks man

I've got a serious itch to pick up one of these little toys.

4. rdg

rdg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had an LT150 for a few months now, and saw it as a stop gap until the DLP market was sorted out (see 16:9 chips, new wheels, higher output etc) and was intigued by the fanatical reviews stateside.
    Since having it I've little to complain of, but have not had the chance to compare it to anything else. Colours and contrast are very good, when calibrated using the AVIA disc, and detail is great. Most of the time, mine is fed by a Meridian 596, and I think progressive output would improve things a great deal as the internal scaler isn't that great. Still 'The Abyss' on Sky last night looked great.
    As for Rainbows, I do see them, occasionally, usually when tired. The effect is much less with NTSC discs, and I suspect a refresh rate of 75Hz might eliminate the effect. I suppose if you can get one at the cheap Dell rate, you could bundle it with a Rock which would allow you to do this. At this point in time, the LT150 does appear to be a bargain and allows us to explore these avenues.
    Bulb life is short however (1,000 hours then switch off)which makes the Selecos more cost effective.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Great info thanks. The Dell price currently stands at $2600 which is still a pretty good price. There is some suspicion that a lot of the units bought at the really cheap price will show up on Ebay in due course. I'd be using it with an HTPC so 72/75Hz would be the norm. There is a lack of stock at Dell meaning an 8 to 12 week delivery time at the moment by which point the new sharp unit will be out and a LOT of these things will be up for grabs I suspect.