1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nec Ht1100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by soulkisser, Mar 13, 2005.

1. soulkisser

soulkisser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.. I was thinking of buying an AE700, but I lost my enthusiasm because of the VB issue..

Anyway, I think I could spend more $ on the PJ, so I found that NEC's HT1100 is a good option..

The only thing that worries me is the DLP thing.. It's supposed to have a fast wheel etc.. But I don't know about that subject well, and also I don't have the option to view it before purchasing.

I want to know if you guys can see any DLP artifacts while viewing HT1100 or a similar DLP?

Thanks.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What is the reason you're looking at an HT1100? It's a 4:3 not 16:9 projector, which per se isn't a problem but could be something to consider. What price are they these days? The HT1000 was a classic and is still considered a very good machine even by today's standards, the 1100 therefore will be equally good at least.

Something like a Sharp Z200 with a 1024x576 resolution is a nice machine for screens up to around 80" IMHO (I had one with a 92" and the pixellation was a bit more than I liked).

As for artifacts, you're referring to the 'rainbow' effect I assume. Rainbows will be seen on ALL single-panel DLPs to some extent or other, it's inherent in the way they work.

The 1100 is a 5x I believe, so is my H77 and so was the Z200E and I can see rainbows with those, though they long ceased to bother me. Please don't think that a fast wheel means no rainbows, obviously the faster the wheel the fewer people will see them or be bothered by them, but some will still see the effect.

3. soulkisser

soulkisser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks..

Now I can go back to the AE700 option again.

Maybe should I wait for the next AE product? :rolleyes:

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Once again, can I state that the whole rainbow thing is subeective and I consider it wrong of you to dismiss DLP on the advice of one post - though constructive ;)

I had an HT1000, did not see rainbows, nor flaw, just a superb picture.

Gary Lightfoot has a NEC HT1000 for sale in the hardward classifieds at a great, great price. Look here -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182777&highlight=NEC

Cap :)

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    Not everybody sees rainbows - I don't an neither does anybody else in my circle of family and friends, so don't discount it until you've had a demo at least.

Both technologies have their pros and cons, you just have to decide which ones you can live with. If you see rainbows and they bother you, then LCD is probably your best bet.

The NEC HT1000 can be bought at good prices second hand and is capable of 2000:1 genuine contrast when calibrated to D65 with a filter (mine is). Most manufacturers quote figures that are only attainable with everything pushed to maximum to give an unwatchable picture with hardly any detail, so take them with a pinch of salt. The HT1000 or HT1100 will both have warranties and it's transferable as far as I know.

They may be 4:3, but the also have a dedicated 16:9 mode so you can use it with a 16:9 screen and it will behave exactly like any other 16:9 pj with a resolution of 1024 x 576 which is perfect for PAL. The 16:9 portion of the image can slide up and down within the 4:3 DMD so in effect you have a lens shift of sorts which makes it very flexible in image placement

I have an H77 and the HT1000 both set-up on my ceiling, and the HT1000 is easily comparable in many respects, so if you can get a demo of one and aren't susceptible the the rainbow effect, you might actualy like it. :)

Gary.

Attached Files:

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    I didn't realise Cap had posted as I was typing mine up. :blush:

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Thats me and RTFM!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

'The first rule of projector club is not actually do not talk about projector club, on the contrary, it is talk about projector club. Oh, and demo too' :D

Gary, see you at the club-house later. Rocky 5 tonight???? :clap:

Cap.

8. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Soulkisser

I have nothing but praise for my HT1100 and find the displayed picture superb. I've had mine just over a year now, bulb hours is now around 750 and any initial "rainbow" problems I had disappeared a long time ago. Whether my eyes have adjusted or what I don't know but I find I can watch a film without suffering any DLP problems and additionally not be bothered about LCD's VB or grey blacks (the latter being a pet hate of mine ;) ). If there's one thing I've learnt from these forums and when considering purchasing a pj, is to DEMO.

If I were you I'd get myself down to Gary's gaff and have a look at his HT1000 in action. I can't believe you'd be disappointed.

Clint.