nec ht1100 Query

A

addo

Heya Guys, I am debating whether to get a sharp xv-z200 for approx $5000 AU, or NEC HT1100 for approx $6000 AU.

My main query is on the HT1100, the AU model does not come with the anamorphic lens, and the cheapest I have seen one for is about $2000AU. So my question is... I am getting a 16:9 fixed screen, the HT1100 has vertical image shift and 3D reform, but does this mean when I am using the projector I can make it so no light will appear above or below the 16:9 screen? I think it is correct, but I would like to know from someone who actually has this projector (without the anamorphic lens) and uses a 16:9 screen.

And do you think it is worth the extra $1000 over the z200? I have seen the z200 and was pretty impressed, I havent seen a HT1100 anywhere, but from what I have read it seems to be a better option.

thanks for you help

I run my HT1000 in 16:9 on a 16:9 screen, and the light 'overspill' from the rest of the DMD is minimal. I only ever notice it on very dark scenes, and I have a black wall behind the screen which helps reduce it. I don't see it during a movie unless I conciously look for it, which I rarely do as I'm watching the film.

I haven't seen the 200 so I can't comment on that, sorry. Even so, you won't be dissapointed with the NEC, but you may not feel the improvement worth the extra money unless you see it for yourself.. Try avsforum and see if there any HT1100 or HT1000 owners near you who don't mind giving you a demo.

HTH

Gary.

thanks Gary, so when in 16:9 mode, the projector tries to limit the output by stopping the unused section?

Yes, that's basicaly what it's doing - turning off the mirrors in the unused portion of the display. It doesn't stop stray light from leaking into that area of the display though, hence the slight amount of light spill.

A 1024 x 576 display like the Sim2 Domino 20 doesn't have the light spill issue though, but may be too long a throw for you. It's a similar price to the HT1100 for the non HDMI model here in the UK - not sure what it costs in Oz though.

Gary.

addo

As Gary has mentioned above there is still light spill on the HT1100 but hardly noticeable, only in very dark scenes. If you're asking does it squish the 4:3 image into a 16:9 frame then the answer is no - hence the light spill. The term light spill is too harsh a word for it, for the layman (like myself) I prefer to describe it as "dark grey bands" top and bottom :D .

The vertical image shift just moves the 16:9 image within the 4:3 area... does that make sense?

HTH
Clint.

Yep, that helps. Thanks for your input everyone. I'm pretty certain I am going to get the HT1100. It sounds like the light spill is not a huge issue which was my main concern. ANd when I save up the extra moola I reckon I will try and get a Lens on ebay or something, but thats no rush. One just ended last night and was $670US which seems a pretty cheap price.
thanks again

I have just got the Optimorph for mine, and apart from some distortion (narrowing at the bottom of the image), I'm quite pleased with it. I should hopefully get some more time with it this w/e to rectify the situation as it needs adjusting for optimal performance.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Gary.

It's the NEC lens. I got it from another forum member (uczmeg) who bought it from a guy in Norway I think.

Gary.

The HT1100 is a lovely projector you won't be dissapointed.

I wouldn't buy an anamorpic lens with it though.

Based on what you are saying you will be impressed with the NEC in it's normal configuration, the light spill isn't really an issue as others have said.

Why not buy the NEC use it for 6 months, then buy a lens when the upgrade bug kicks in. It will be like a new projector at very little cost (you might even be able to find used lenses by then.) If you bought both together you wouldn't notice the impact and when the upgrade bug kicks in you'd need to spend big to get better.

3d reform allows you to reshape the image on the screen if you need to mount your projector slightly off centre.

The shift means you can move the 16:9 picture anywhere in the 4:3 picture allowing you flexibility with your screen placement. You lose this if you have a lens as it is using the full 4:3 panel.

Cheers
Marc

PS Gary, it was France!

Hi pros out there,
Finally my time has come to enter the big screen world, after 1.5 years looking and searching for the best projector i can buy - within my budget. I come to conclude one of the best DLPs around is the HT1100. Have read some threads here, and some comments confirm.

On the other hand, I saw the Sim2 Domino 20 demo, and read some awesome reviews.

Since as somebody in the threads said, both are in the same price bracket, I need an expert advise which to buy.

I don't want to go down at the level where I choose only by the backlit remote of the HT1100 - I want to be more certain on the real projector performance.

I also know about the anamorphic lens, but some say not to buy it...

Now... any info please ? I am also going to try to buy the proj over the net - from Europe, and I am guessing that from Germany would be a good buy...

Enlighten me!

Marco / Malta :cool: :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom