1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC HT1000 widescreen resolution

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jcrookes, Jan 4, 2003.

1. jcrookes

jcrookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still trying to decide which projector to buy.

I know the NEC HT1000 panel has a native 4:3 resolution of 1024x786, but I understand when using 16:9 widescreen material the picture is only 576 lines in height. This resolution sounds ideal for 576p and 576i material from a progressive PAL DVD player, as no scaling would be required.

So, for all those HT1000 owners out there, how do your Region 2 DVDs look when displayed using this optimal resolution? Do you think a higher resolution projector (say the Sony HS10 using 768 lines) would be able to produce better output?

Please feel free to correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.

Many thanks,

Jon.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    There has been some discusions here about the merits of resolutions greater than the resolution of DVD (1024 x 576 for PAL).

Some graphics cards like the Radeon can interpolate quite well, but can't really add detail that isn't there.

One advantage of a higher reolution is that for the same screen size, the higher res pj will have less screendoor effect.

Gary.

3. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Read somewhere that this projector had issues with Pal sources. Do a search, they may have corrected the problem (tearing) but check it out!

regards FRANC

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I had heard that it was fixed, but a (Norwegian?) guy over at avs said that a friend had just bought one, and the tearing was still there - it seems to only occur with PAL images when letting the pj do the 16:9 squeeze on an anamorphic DVD.

Sending the pj a letterboxed image means no tearing, but then you've lost some resolution, so it's not an ideal remedy by any means.

I'm getting a demo of the HT1000 and a few other pjs in a week or so, so I'll have a look for it.

Gary.

5. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to own an XGA DLP Plus projector that did the same thing though at that time, I didn't realise this was tearing.

The problem dissappeared when I used the native 4:3 mode instead of the 16:9 mode. I used a HTPC to scale to 1024*576 and apart from the light spill (which was easily masked) the whole thing worked very well.

CKA

6. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking experimentally at the NEC HT1000 as being a 'quiet' projector but the PAL tearing problem concerns me greatly.

Am I correct that we think this is NOT fixed then? Most of my viewing will be of DVD material, over component video using a DVD player. I will want the projector to display this is 16:9 format of course.

My current Sony HS10 is brilliant except that the fan noise is a little intrusive sometimes and I'm having to think about fans and hush boxes and putting it in another room and all sorts of hassles in order to keep it...

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    The PAL tearing is fixed.

Apparently any firmware upgrades are done using the smartflash socket. With flash card readers/writers costing under £6, if this is to be an end user option via downloads from NEC, then this'll be very useful for any future upgrades/mods that may come along.

Should you get an HT1000 that still has the tearing, then your dealer should be able to fix it for you. Not sure if this will be an end user facility just yet, while under warranty.

I have a feeling that a guy over at avsforum had the flash card shipped to him so he could upgrade the firmware himself, but I can't remember the details. I'm sure it can be found via the search facility though.

Edit: here's the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=1710000#post1710000

I'd reccommend a demo just to be sure the fan noise is OK for you though. It's at its quietest in eco mode.

Gary.

8. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I did actually see one and although it was quiet, it did still see the occasional rainbow... :(

Anyway I decided to keep my HS10 and make a few adjustments to my setup so as to minimise the impact of the noise. This sems to be working.. :)

Cheers
    John