1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC HT1000 Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NECHT1000 Owner, Oct 13, 2003.

1. NECHT1000 Owner

NECHT1000 Owner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried to build myself the best home cinema I can with a budget of £6500. I bought the NEC HT 1000 because of all the tremendous reviews. However I'm REALLY disappointed. I'm seeing severe pixelation and colour banding on fast moving images/camera pans.

ie "SIGNS". When the sherrif is talking to Merril over the dining room table and the camera pans...all the colours on the sherriffs face seperate and become VERY pixelated.

ie "NEVER MIND THE BUZZCOCKS" Blue and green backgound (very smoothly graduated when the camera is still) becomes solid lines of seperate colours until the camera stops!

Now I thought from all the reviews that this projector had excellent picture quality even in fast moving frames!!???? IS this is Rainbow Effect? What can I buy that is better for £3000? Please....any suggestions? Sim2 Domino 20 is £3750 BUT it's got a useless throw length - and will not work in my room.

PS Can sitting 3 meters from a 2 meter wide 4:3 screen give you headaches?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Have you used Avia to set white and black levels? A lot of image artefact problems stem from having the brightness set too high, so setting that correctly will fix a lot of blocking/noise. If you sit too close you will be more inclined to see mirror dithering.

What DVD player are you using, and what is your source for Buzzcocks? Is it analogue tv, or Sky/NTL/Freeview?

What settings have you got for your sources?

The Rainbow effect is colour seperation of the rgb elements of the image, and are normaly seen in motion. Does that sound like something you're seeing? If so, then the Sim may be better for you, but quite often people who see the effect initialy, get used to it and it stops being a problem. That isn't always the case though. Did you demo it before you bought it?

I find that for me, sitting any closer than 1.8 times screen width means I can see the screen door, but that's all. I wouldn't think sitting that close will cause you headaches, but some people do get headaches or eyestrain from DLP projectors. If that's what you're suffering from, then crt or LCD may be a better projector for you. At least with crt you won't get any screendoor.

Gary.

3. NECHT1000 Owner

NECHT1000 Owner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. First - I didn't get to see the NEC in action before I bought it. I saw the Optoma H56 and all the mag reviews said the NEC was better.

Okay this is the setup.

NEC HT1000
    Denon 3803 AV Receiver
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Sky box (Pace) / Xbox / PS2 / Gamecube ALL connected via a Trilogy 1 box and a JS Tech RGB Scart to Component box so that ALL inputs to the AV 3803 are COMPONENT.

Image quality on still / normal picture is fantastic - even Sky and games.

However, when an image moves fast i.e. someone running OR the camera pans you WILL see colours SEPERATE and a grainy PIXELLATION occur - particularly noticable on faces with normal skin tone i.e. instead of skin shades, their face (during movement OR camera pan) become 3 seperate colours (Light beige, beige and dark beige) with really pixelly edges.

Once the camera stops panning or their fast movement stops, then the image clears up and is visibly perfect.

Happens on all inputs.

It's REALLY P****D me off! I've spent so much - £2600 OVER budget and I can barely watch TV now! :(

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Unfortunately I too noticed this on the HT1000's I had on demo some months ago. I remember one of the evening soaps was on and, like you say, it was barely watchable.

Afraid I never determined whether it was the pj or the source as I went for a different model. What I can say though is that high quality source material (DVDs) did not appear to exhibit it.

5. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same "pixleation" as you describe it, that i put down to the digitalisation of the SKY image on a 20" CRT TV sitting about 3' from the screen. The best way i can describe it is like a compressed Video clip . like a movie trailer streamed off the net. They reduce bandwith by only resending information of whats moved in the picture, so still camera means crisper image .. but when you have fast moving pictures (or lower bandwith) like football you get digital artifacts around the movement if i can see it on a 20" crt TV on a 2m projected image it must be even more visable. is it the same on DVD>?

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    This sounds like something I have seen before on the H1000 as well - almost like contour lines, and I only saw it on skin tones if it was going to be visible. I only use my pj for DVD and mpg from hard drive.

I found that it seemed to be source related - I bought a Philips 963 and that's when I first saw it - it would do it every time in chapter 2 of ST Generations on Sulu's daughters face for a moment, and on Rimmers and Listers face in one of the deleted scenes from RD 2. It was very pronounced. I tried a few other players after sending the 963 back (it had other faults too), and found that some players didn't do it at all, and some did it occasionaly (all via component btw).

I don't get it via vga from the Skyworth 1050P, but have seen it slightly via DVI from HTPC on the above scenes, but nowhere else since..

Can you try those sources direct using composite or s-video so that you can by-pass the box and amp? Other than what Mirablo has said, I'm wondering if the box and/or amp conversion to component may be effecting the source signal.

If you try anything via scart using the adaptor, you may find you get a macrovision type of interference. This seems to source dependant too, as one of my DVD players does it, and the other doesn't, though non macro DVDs don't seem to do it either. A bit starnge but there you go.

HTH

Gary.