• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

NEC HT1000 Playing Up

adieboy

Looks like it's on it's way out... after about 10-15 mins.,the image begins to intermittently flicker and last night the picture took on a distinctly red cast. When I tried to look in the menu at picture adjustment the sub-menu was inaccessible.
This morning, it started up ok and produced a good picture for a while but the problem soon returned.
My guess is the hot weather has fried something!
Viable proposition to have it repaired? (Residual value only £300- £500).
If not, what is a good replacement?....£1500-£2000 max.
I've heard good things about the HD72 and the IN76...how will these compare with the NEC? .I know they're higher res. but the NEC was originally a lot more expensive.
I'd like to hear what everyone thinks, Gary in particular, if he's reading this, as he's had a chance to compare other machines with the NEC.
Any help/advice much appreciated.

Adie.

adieboy

Just read that the IN76 has been reduced to the same price as the Optoma.....is it significantly better? It doesn't have as good a warranty (One year v. two?) and it may be possible to get hold of a HD72 with a free spare bulb. Any other machines I should be considering?

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Hi Adie,

Sorry to hear about the pj going faulty. It's only just out of warranty isn't it? Are all the fans running OK on it? I wonder if it's a dry joint inside or something simple like that (gets hot and starts to fail). Maybe run an external fan forcing air into it to see if that improves it?

It might be worth enquiring about a repair (nothing to lose by asking - it's probably repairable but the cost can vary quite a bit and even make it unviable), but if you wanted to get something new, I would tend suggest the Optoma (you may be able to get some of the last H79s maybe) On ebay there are some Infocus 7210s for around £1400 and with warranty, so that may be another option.. The Sony HS60 was an impressive LCD with good blacks and high contrast, but of course a demo is the only way to know which image is more suitable for you.

Gary

adieboy

Hi Gary,
I took out the bulb and cleaned the housing out (not that diirty but the colour wheel looks a little smeary - not an easy thing to clean).. things appear to have settled down, no flickering for several hours. The colour saturation seems to have increased,though and I'm getting quite a bit of solarisation...V.strange, the colour wheel, perhaps? I'll try to adjust.

As for a replacement, I think I'd stick with DLP, I'd heard that the H60 was rather dim. The H79 is, I'm sure, a great piece of kit but has limited image offset which would make it difficult to accomodate in my room. I'd have to tilt it quite a few degerees and use keystone correction. Ideally I'd have something with a large offset or wider lens shift adjustment.
I wonder just how noisey the 7210 is... I've got the impression Infocus believe operating noise isn't much of a issue.

Many thanks for your advice, Gary.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Adie.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I have cleaned the colour wheel on the H1000 and it's not that tricky. A cotton bud will do it but it is a little tedious. I doubt that's the problem, but it could be the colour wheel like you suggest (control problem?) as that can cause colour banding if the timing goes out. Strange that you couldn't get to some menu options. It's not a source or cable problem at all is it?

Have you tried it on high lamp mode when the flickering starts? That might help stop the flicker and help the arc settle down and you can go back to low mode again after.

The HD72 has a fixed offset like the Ht1000 and will probably fit on the ceiling mount if you drill some new fixing holes for it, so that might be worth a look. The fl-day filter mod will probably work with that pj too, but will need a different means to fix it to the lens, and a recalibration for optimal results.

Gary

adieboy

Gary,
I've perhaps not described the symptoms very well.The flickering isn't just a variation in intensity, the image momentarily jumps a little (vertically) - something to do with the colour-wheel sync. perhaps.
In terms of ease of installation, the HD72 was top of the list.It's still not got the effective vertical offset of the NEC. As you know, when in 16:9 mode, the HT1000 has a massive offset, using the screen position adjustment (the advantage of a 4:3 machine).
If I've done my calculations correctly, in order to use the same mount and screen positions I'd have to tilt the projector just a few degrees and use keystone correction. Any idea how much it would affect picture quality?
I seem to recall from one of your posts that you've had look at the HD72(correct?)...if so, what did you make of it? At the price, it seems almost too good to be true.

Adie.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Hi Adie

The HD72 has a little 'digital lens shift', as it has a 1280 x 768 mode that you can slide the 1280 x 720 image up and down in, but obviously it's not as flexible as the HT1000 was. With a fixed screen you can tilt the pj up, and tilt the screen out at the bottom to equalise the angles, but that may not be as easy with a pull down screen. Digital keystone can often look better than you think with video, but some test patterns or other fixed images can sometimes have an odd 'Atari logo' looking pattern within in it, so it's not always invisible when used. I did like the HD72 - a friend of mine has one, and it's great value like you say. It's whether or not it can work in your room. How much flexibility have you got on screen placement?

Maybe another xga 4:3 machine would be better suited, and you can use an HTPC with Zoomplayer to get the 16:9 portion in the correct position if the pj itself doesn't have that facility.

Gary

adieboy

Hi Gary,

Afraid it won't be possible to tilt the screen, as I now have a tab-tensioned affair. It was very expensive but worth it, as my viewing room is also our living room, so the other half quite reasonably objected to the idea of a fixed screen.

The projector sits over a large bay window, which nearly reaches the ceiling and fires into the room. Hence the need to keep the projector close to the ceiling - long extension bar mounts are pretty much out as it would look unsightly hanging in front of the window.

The screen could be moved up the wall but I don't really like straining my neck while viewing.

At the price, the HD72 does look an attractive proposition. I've done a little measuring up and if Optoma's figures are correct I may just be able to get away with it, a slightly longer drop on the mount and move the screen up just a few inches - let's just hope I remember my algebra correctly...in my day, we used a slide-rule and an abacus...thank God for the scientific calculator!!!

Adie.

adieboy

Hi Gary,
A quick google suggests it would cost around £210 just to take the cover off.
Then, whatever they reveal. With a residual value of £300-£500, I have to ask myself if it's worth it.
It's definitely a thermal issue, fine when first powered up, plain distracting after an hour or so ...fan?...thermostat?

Anyway, in the meantime, I've ordered a HD72 from Sevenoaks here in Bristol.

I just hope my math is correct... Optoma's literature's a little confusing.
Most manufacturers describe offset in terms of % of screen width/height but the literature on the HD72 uses angle of offset. There's a little "digital shift", thanks to the 768 line chip, so fingers crossed, it won't take to much tinkering to accomodate.
Away to Cornwall for a week as of tomorrow. By the time I return, Sevenoak should have the goods.. I'll let you know how easy (or not) it was to fit/calibrate.

Regards Adie.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Hi Adie,

Can you hear the fans working? What about having it on high fan mode all the time (but still with the lamp in eco mode)?

There was a menu option for the fan, so that would be a way to see if you can hear it working. I'm not sure how many fans it has though, so it's possible that one may have failed.

What will you do with the pj after you have the HD72 up and running?

Gary

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Didn't the HT1000 have a 3-year, on-site, next-day, swap-out warranty?? Can't remember if the third year was full cover or not, but certainly in the first year if you had a problem NEC would send Business Post out with a flight case with a replacement unit it it, and the Business Post guy would take the old. Usually would be a newly reconditioned unit, not sure if they still have any stock (the new HT510 is not a par with the HT1000) but you might still be able to get something under warranty???

Also the first batch of HT1000 had horrible tearing where the colour wheel was sticking at 60Hz on 50Hz material. I wonder if a firmware upgrade might do something.

adieboy

Hi Gary,

I'm running it in high fan mode.. the problem is intermittent. It ran all evenig with no problems yesterday.

I can hear a fan running. It has two according to the manual.. I can't be sure they're both running and that they're stepping up when appropriate, though.

I should take delivery of the Optoma today... hope I'm not disappointed with it's performance.

If I can't get a cheap quote for a repair to the NEC, I may declare it an economic write-off... (guarantee expired back in January, Liam) a shame.

Adie

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Can you take it apart and have a look and see if it's anything obvious like a dry joint or loose wire? Maybe some clogging of the fans or cooling path maybe?

Gary

adieboy

Hi Gary,
I've installed the Optoma...

tacky build quality in comparison to the NEC but the picture's very good for the money. Very impressive with HD material, the picture sometimes a little messy with standard definition. No nasty surprises though.

As for the NEC, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll try and find some time to tinker this weekend.

Adie

O

Occulus

Conicidence! or co-ordinated?

Just out of the three year warranty!

I've had a very similar problem with my NEC HT1000, with the exception of the missing menus.

It has the original Lamp, which has only done 700 hours!

In terms of cost and support, I've been in touch with NEC Support and have been quoted the following information:

Price: £129.35
Service: DHL will arrive at your door with a flight case, you insert the projector minus any accessories and off it goes to NEC, Telford, Shropshire.

They then assess the projector and advise on what the problem is and what the cost of parts and labour will be to repair.

If you agree to the repair, you hand over your credit card details AGAIN and they repair and send back the projector.

If you decide that it is not viable to proceed, NEC send you back the projector and thank you for the £129.35 to open the box.

If you are interested, their support line is 0208 752 3535.

You may also get initial support and a potential pointer in the right direction as to what may be the fault from their support line..... [email protected]

Incidentally, I have opted for the £129.35 and await the reponse! :rolleyes:

Let me know how you get on.

adieboy

Hi Gary,
Yu did supply me with the service manuals. Looking at them, it looks a bit daunting and the option suggested by Occulus sounds a bit of a gamble.. I may wait and see how he gets on.

Having had the optoma for a few days, I've got to say I'm highly impressed..these next generation pjs are great value for money (the 3 year warranty's handy, too)!! HD picture quality is very nice indeed. It's not nearly as smooth and artifact-free with dodgy quality tv broadcasts as the NEC but given a good signal, it's in a different league...the technology's evolving very fast.

Occulus, please let me know what NEC have to say... if it's non-viable be assured, there's a load of great, cheap kit on the market now and prices are still falling.

Adie.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Hi Adie,

You may find adding fl-day filter to the Optoma will dim it down a bit and make the image noise less visible (a little tweaking of the colours may be needed otherwise an ND2 will be better). One of the things with high brightness pjs is that they tend to show up artefacts etc a lot more, so getting the lumens down is a good idea IMHO.

It won't hurt to try it (if you ignore the pink colour tint it will add) just to see how the overall image brightness looks and if the image appears less 'noisy'. Using a higher colour temp (usually more blue/green) may allow you to use the filter with only a slight tint visible.

Gary

O

Occulus

Got a phone call from NEC today - the colour wheel is faulty and needs replacing. The price of this is £30.

I've agreed and should get it back in the next few days.

All in all it has cost £160 to get it up and running again - worthwhile I think for what is still a very good projector, even for its age.

Will let you know when I get it back if all is OK.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom