1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC HT1000 or Sharp XV9000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MattH, Mar 25, 2003.

1. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Has anyone demoed these two side by side, the reason I ask is that fom reading the various posts the NEC can be had for about £3k, if anyone can let me knw where from that would be good. The sharp can be had fpr a bit more from pricejapan. I know the only way for me to really make my mind up is to see them both but was hoping that someone may have seen both and be able to describe the relative merits of one vs the other. I did see the NEC at the Bristol show, from memory I think it was being used in the MJ Acoustics demo room, I thought it looked pretty good even though the conditions were far from ideal.

Must admit the more I read the more difficult the decision becomes............

TIA

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could also try looking at the Sony VPL-VW12HT which can be had from www.go2camcorder.co.uk for £3000 including VAT.

You may also be able to get the 'new' version of the Epson TW100 which has the contrast increased to 800:1 and according to the review on projectorcentral is very good.

J

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... Mind you the sharp is a very good unit because of the speed of the colour wheel. The sharp has 3 * 6 segment = 6 speed refresh. The NEC has 2 * 6 segment = 4 speed refresh.

You can also pick up the Sony VPL-VW12HT at a reduced price now at around the £3000 mark I gather. Might be worth thinking about..

4. Stevie Tee

Stevie Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MattH,

I'm also considering the HT1000 having spent hours this evening reading reviews of it. After 3 months of looking into this I haven't found another machine raved about quite so much. - I wonder if it is as good as it sounds.

Have you checked out any other pjs yet?

I looked at a DreamVision CieXone and was impressed by the picture, what concerns me is that it seems quite rare and I wonder about technical support etc..

Have you found any good local dealers? - I live just down the road from you in Enfield.

5. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Stevie Tee

the HT1000 does get raved about by a lot of the home cinema press, also by many members on over on AVS forums. Unfortunately I dont know much about the DreamVIsion CieXone. I am in a dilemma about the sharp vs the HT1000, you can get the Sharp for a bit over £3k before taxes etc and the NEC is arounf the same price. About 8 months ago ths Sharp was raved about, I dont know if the technology of these things has advanced so fast in that time that the NEC is comparable to the NEC or not, the NEC is that price from a UK supplier so you obviously get the comfort factor of that.

The other pj's I have seen were at the Bristol Show, the Yam DPX1000 was there I thought looked good aswell but will be expensive I think when it is avaliable, also the SIM 300+, and the range of Infocus models, the bottom of the range model, cant remember the number did not look so good but the 7200 did! I also saw a Sony HS10 demoed but did not like the picture so decided I would go the DLP route, didnt seem to be bothered by any rainbows on the prjectors i saw. I only bought a Tosh plasma a few months ago but having now seen a projector realised its the only way to go....

Pounds is a dealer in Enfield, they do Runco projectors but I dont know if they do any others, but they are an excellent dealer. Also Sevenoaks have a store in southgate, was thinking of giving them a ring to see what models they do. But as yet dont know where to get a demo of the NEC.

Decisions, decisions......

6. Stevie Tee

Stevie Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decisions indeed - it's doing my head in.

I have a friend of a friend who runs an AV company, he is looking into prices for the NEC, also I phoned Audio T this morning - they price match and may be able to get a machine in to demo. The cheapest Net price i have found is £3149 inc VAT. from projectorpoint.co.uk

Ill let you know what progress I make.

Cheers
    Steve

7. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the NEC is 4:3 and the Sharp's 16:9 isn't it?
    If your looking to have a larger screen then 16:9 is the way to go. (unless you have very high ceilings)

Technophobe

8. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The NEC is indeed 4:3 - 1024*768 which means it will use a 1024 * 576 panel on the DMD to make a 16:9 image.

The sharp uses a 16:0 native DMD which is around 1300 * 768 so considerably more pixels.

I would class the sharp as being technically superior due to the much faster colour wheel but what is the difference in price?

Cheapest for NEC HT1000 = £3100 ish net

Cheapest I've seen the sharp is on ivojo.co.uk at £6800 net.

That's a big difference.

If anyone can tell me that the sharp is widely available for anywhere around the same price as the NEC HT1000 then I would be very interested!

J

9. Stevie Tee

Stevie Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Technophobe,

The space for my screen is just under 6 foot accross - so not very big unfortunately. Ceiling height just over 7 foot. Is that going to be a problem with the NEC?

How much is the Sharp? My budget has been creeping up and up and I must draw the line somewhere - last week it was £2800, yesterday it was £3000...........

Cheers
    steve

10. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See my previous post. I have not seen the sharp for less than £6800 in the UK....

The cost (excluding taxes and VAT) from PriceJapan is circa £3150
    One you add duty at 10% and VAT at 17.5% on the whole lot you're looking at almost £4000.

You're not really comparing apples with apples here.

At the £3000 price point IMHO you should be looking at:

NEC HT1000
    Epson TW100
    and possibly Sony VPL-VW12HT

I wouldn't discount the 16:9 LCD machines above (sony & epson). The new Epson TW100 in particular had a good review in projectorcentral if you can get it at that price point.

J

11. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS.
    Ceiling height is irrelevant if you intend to use the NEC to view 16:9 material. This is because you will be using a 16:9 screen and the dark bars that the projector will display at the top and the bottom will basically spill off the screen onto the wall below and ceiling above the screen.

If you have a dark painted room (ie not cream or white) and because the NEC has such good black levels, I don't think you will find this to be too distracting.

Just because the NEC is a 4:3 panel doesn't mean you have to use a 4:3 screen with it if you intend to use it as a widescreen unit. You'll just permanently not use part of the DMD device.

J

12. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    while your mulling things over you could be watching a
    proj.the sharp xv-z90e avail at £1400=-£1600possesses many of the features of the xvz9000 look at the proj.central reviews and "guitarmans"comments on both of these on avsforums.the uk price of the zv9000 is crazy since it is available on mainland europe for 5500 -5890euros

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Just to confirm what John_N was saying - I have an HT1000 and the ceiling height is approx 7ft, and I'm projecting onto a 16:9 screen.

I made up a ceiling mount which had the pj 6ins from the ceiling. I'm projecting onto an 84" x 47.25" screen which is approx 19.5 ins from the ceiling.

Coupled with a DVD player like the Limit 9900ES, Toshiba SD520e or Pioneer 656 or 757i, you won't be dissaponted. The Philips 963 that I had didn't seem to work very well with the NEC, though I think the player was faulty as well as having the common issues associated with it.

The picture quality of the HT1000 isn't far off the Sim2 HT200DMF which is almost twice the price.

If you don't suffer from the DLP rainbow effect, you won't be dissapointed.

Gary.

14. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the information and views.

Gary as you have a HT1000 could you tell me if you can shift the 16.9 image within the 4.3 frame, i.e, can you move so that the top of the viewable widescreen picture can be in line with the top of the projected image and the overspill all be at either the top or bottom of the frame. The reason I ask is because the room where the projector will be used has a band of white painted wall above a picture rail and I was intending to build a permanent screen but not change the colour of this piece of the wall.

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Matt,

yes, you can do exactly that - tell the HT1000 that you have a 16:9 screen in the menu, and it will allow you to adjust a slider bar which will move the 16:9 projected image up or down within the 4:3 area of the display.

I could have my screen as high up as 14.5 ins from the ceiling if I wanted with the current set-up.

There is no overspill outside of the 4:3 area at all, and only a minimal amount of light viewable as a very dark grey in the area where the 16:9 image isn't being projected, especialy with the iris shut.

Gary.

16. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Gary, sounds like the NEC could be the one I'll go for. I dont think Ive seen a bad word said about this machine, Ive looked both here and at AVS, that coupled with the price it can be had for in the UK will probably swing it. Is just the on line dealers who are selling for ~£3150 or any quality retailers?? Any ideas.

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I almost bought one from the net myself, but got a demo because I'd heard some say they'd seen increased rainbows. I didn't see any at all, so I bought it off the dealer who demo'd it for me.

I was at the dealers for over 5 hours, and was able to connect my htpc up to it as well. He also showed me some other projectors while I was there, so I didn't mind paying a bit more for his time.

Some dealers have no idea how to set up a projector or how to get the most out of it for a demo. I went to Jeff Paynter in Horsham who is the exact opposite, and got a great demo!

If you're spending over £3000, it may be worth paying a little extra for the added support you'll get from a local dealer, rather than having to send it back via parcel mail if it goes wrong.

If I have a question or an issue, Jeff is just a phone call away and issues/answers are forthcoming very quickly indeed.

Worth every penny in my book. :)

Gary.

18. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Garry

So you're saying that with a 16:9 screen and the iris closed, you don't find the light "overspill" that will spill off the screen onto the walls below / above a distraction?

I'm taking it that the unit can be mounted upside-down with the usual image flip options by the way?

In my installation, I have a 16:9 screen with furniture/dark red wall below and ceiling above. Am I likely to find the light spill onto the furniture/wall annoying? Can you see it?

J

19. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good question John_N, I have been doing my calculations to see waht the overspill would based on various screen sizes, I think if the screen is too near the ceiling, assuming you have light ceilings as most people do, the overspill may be distracting. But you can always move the image up/down if inverted etc, to the edge of the projected area therefore moving all the overspill to one end, in my case the bottom of the image where it will be projecting onto much darker material which I think and hope would be a much better situation.

Have read many of the posts on AVS about this machine and it does seem to be very well regarded at its price point, the only downside appears to be the 4:3 ratio

20. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi John,

My projection wall is a black carpet (pics on my web site if you're interested), and I can sometimes just about see the rest of the 4:3 area if I conciously look for it in my periferal vision, but I think that's only when the plain blue screen is up.

It's very slight, and no spill outside of the 4:3 at all. I think you'll have to make an effort to see it. If this may be an issue for you, then maybe you should try and get a demo, just to be sure.

Yes you can flip the image for ceiling mounting via one of the set-up menus.

HTH

Gary.

21. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    IIRC, this pj also has a blanking function (for left, right, top and bottom) like a CRT. Could you not therefore blank the top and bottom sufficiently to completely shut off the lightspill if you will always be using a 16:9 screen?

22. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    the blanking just shuts of the mirrors, and can't stop the light coming through the lens.

Gary.

23. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Oh right. Guess I should have known that would be too easy :)

24. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might sound kind of primitive - but would it not be possible to construct a mask of some kind to put over the lens? Something like some insulation tape or something to help to reduce the overspill?

J

25. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS. Just to add that last night I tried blanking off part of the picture of my HS10 using a paper mask. It sort of works. You get diffraction effects from the edge of the paper meaning that you have to put the mask lower than you should but I reckon that carefully positioned strips of tape on the lens would reduce the light overspill even further.

IMHO for minimum light overspill on the HT1000 you would set it up to project the 16:9 picture at the very top of the 4:3 frame leaving a large area underneath.. Then you can try and mask as much of this area away as possible using tape mask. You will still end up with an overscanned area under the picture that you can not mask away due to diffraction effects at the edge but it will be much smaller, and with any luck maybe absorbed by the black border of your screen.

Would be interesting if any HT1000 owners actually did this to see what happened...

J

26. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It does sound a bit agricultural, but to a certain extent as you say it might just work. John_N are you thinking of changing your HS10 to a HT1000?? Have you seen one workinh?