1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC HT1000 on demo

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, got the HT1000 last Friday evening on demo. On hooking this up via a component feed I switched on and was greeted with a quite loud fan which I originally thought I am not going to be able to live with. However, after about 20 seconds it quietens down to an almost inaudible level even sitting just a few feet away.

Temporary setup and alignment was an absolute doddle and I have found that this little beauty has so many adjustements it is quite unbelievable.

Straight out of the box, with just 9 hours on the lamp (probably factory test time) the picture from this small (nay, very small) pj is quite utterly astounding. I'm projecting an 8ft horizontal image and sitting some 12 feet away there is absolutely no screen door (or whatever you call it) at all. I mean zilch, nothing, not a jot. Colurs are rich and detailed and, IMHO, the overall image is far better than the Tosh MT8 I had on demo a few weeks back. As to background video noise, which the MT8 had plenty of (fixed with a firmware upgrade I believe), it is almost non-existent.

I was initially scepticle of this pj due to the fact it has a 4:3 panel but even with the lower resolution that the Cinema (16:9) setting offers this has to be one of the nicest images I have seen from digital pj within this price bracket. No, I'm sure it won't compete with a Sim2 HT300+ (which I saw last week) and similar priced models but in my eyes the difference is so negligible it would be impossible to justify the extra ££'s.

I accept I have not seen masses of LCD/DLP projectors (only AE100, TW100, MT8 and a few other short dems) but my first impressions of this little baby are way beyond anything I had hoped for. I've only played for a few hours but as a companion to my other kit it continues to blow my socks off. I have it all week and next weekend so will be playing somewhat more. At the moment the colours are just slightly on the green side but with the plethora of adjustments (inc colour adjustment for Red, Green, Blue, cyan, magenta and yellow - yep, 6 colour adjustment) I feel sure it won't be long before I have this little baby delivering a stonking picture which I believe wil probably get ever so close to my baby CRT (Barco 701s).

No, I have not seen an HS10 or AE300 but for me this pj is well worth a price tag of around (street) £3.2k.

What a bargain, and I now see why all the guys over at avsforum have been telling prospective purchases to walk out, no RUN, and pick one of these up. The only question is do I buy now or wait until they bring out the 16:9 equivalent? - now that will have other pj manufacturers quaking in their boots :eek:

701s CRT or HT1000 DLP

HT1000 DLP or 701s CRT

Decisions decisions :suicide:

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you see rainbows?
    Do you normally see rainbows?

I know the HT1000 is a good machine. I was thinking of getting an HT1000 instead of my HS10 when the fan started to annoy me on the HS10. I saw rainbows though :-(

I would check out the HS10 though - just for comparison. The picture from the HS10 is very very good. The fan is louder though....

3. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    have a look at the sharp xv-z90e its less than half the price
    of the HT
    take a look at the specs and reviews on projector central
    i think its a great picture and if your waiting for a 16/19
    ht1000 it might be a good a option

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    No rainbows whatsoever on the HT1000, and yes I did see them extensively on a SIM2 HT200 and a Yamaha DXP-1. I think some people try too hard to see them sometimes :D

On doing further testing with the HT I have to partially retract my earlier comments. On first viewing the picture is very nice with vivid colours and lots of detail. However, I have now found that the picture is quite un-natural due to colours and it is also VERY soft. Even turning the sweetvision setting up to maximum, although sharpening the image somewhat, does not improve the picture to a level I would expect or want from a pj at this level.

I will therefore, unfortunately, most definitely not be buying this pj and will continue my quest to find a suitable one. The hunt continues.....

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I found that the out of the box image of the HT1000 quite harsh, but after calibrating white and black level, turning off the sweetvision options, and reducing the sharpness, the picture was a lot better. Only the black enhance option appeared to work without adversly affecting the image.

I think the HT1000 produces excellent colours and flesh tones, and even s-video is surprisingly good.

until yesterday, I have been mostly using s-video from my old Samsung 709 and although soft, the image is solid with no artefacts. Htpc is excellent once set up, but needs the ability to reduce the sharpness to tame the 'mosquito' noise that can be found in some dvds.

My initial impressions when using the Philips 963 are that component is sharper, but like rgb and htpc, can produce a harsh 'noisy' image unless the sharpness is reduced down t0 5 or below. For me anyway.

As for the Sharp Z90e, I demo'd this machine alongside the HT1000, and found the NEC much better. The Sharp is only 800 x 600, and didn't appear a great deal better than the Infocus X1. I can't remember if these machines were tweaked to any degree, but the Infocus was excellent value for money. It reminded me of my DLS8 with htpc.

HTH

Gary.