1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC HT1000 image has gone blurry...please help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MaverickDrummer, Feb 6, 2005.

1. MaverickDrummer

MaverickDrummer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

Hi all

Okay weird one. I haven't watched a lot of TV lately or been playing my console games, but this weekend I've sat down to watch / play and noticed that the image from the projector is blurry.

It's NOT the lens, because the projector menus are nice and sharp. It's the image that's COMING INTO the projector.

However, nothing has really changed since the last time when I KNOW that it was sharp.

Here's my setup.

Denon AV3803 Amp
    NEC HT1000 projector (on 2nd lamp - this was fitted just before xmas)
    Sky+ (2nd version)
    Pioneer DVD Recorder 500
    Xbox PAL
    PS2 PAL
    Denon 2900 DVD Player
    2x JS Technology Switch Input Boxes (2 inputs 1 output) Daisychained
    1x JS Technology Up Converter RGB Scart IN to Component Out

Okay here's how it all connects.

The projector is connected via COMPONENT cables directly to the amp.

The Denen DVD player is connected via COMPONENT cables directly to the amp.

Sky+, Xbox, PS2, DVD Recorder are all connected via RGB Scart to a JSTechnology box that upconverts RGB Scart to Component. This then goes into the amp and via amp switching goes back out to the projector.

I KNOW that last year my pictures were super sharp from the games consoles and Sky.

However, now Sky menus, and all games and movies are blurry - really noticable on the text and menus...but it's causing enough of a bad image it's causing eye strain.

Before Xmas I DID replace the lamp in the projector and I DID do a factory reset on the AMP for other reasons and I DID get a replacement JS Technology box because the last one had failed.

I had thought that all these were irrelevant to the problems I'm having now.

The JS Tech box just converts the signal - I've been told no loss of image quality is possible - and that's by the guy that build / designed it!

Could my AMP be degrading the picture?

As I say, the menus the projector itself generates are super sharp - so it's not the projector.

It's only on the inputted signal.

I've tried everything I know to clean this up and I don't know what to do next.

I've isolated individual components and cables, no difference. I've only had one unit plugged into the amp at a time - no change.

What could it be?

Does anyone have any idea?

This is driving me nuts!!!

Please help.

Thanks.

Mav

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    was wondering if it could be the 'smearing' on the colourwheel problem that the overtly technical www.avsforums.com guys established was degrading the PQ on the NEC HT1000/1100.

Have a search there and here by using NEC as your keyword and see what you can find.

However, personally, it does not sound like that is the issue as you mention that the PJ menus are fine. Try checking the Denon amp to ensure that you are still set to component in and out as this needs to be done. the symptoms you describe sound like composite video associated problems.

Finally, switch off the sweet vision in case this affecting the PQ - as a test at least.

Hope this helps,

Cap :)

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Oh, and check that your gear is outputting RGB signals etc...

Cap :)

4. MaverickDrummer

MaverickDrummer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Captain

Okay...

Yes, the amp is component in and out.

Sweet vision actually improves it alot. Without it text is so blurry it's unreadable below a certain size.

Sky and the Pioneer DVDR are outputting RGB Scart and sky is okay ish. Changing the picture settings on the projector to deinterlace on made a difference. How that changed is BEYOND me!!!

However images coming from the Xbox / PS2 are still appalling!!

I have the xbox set to pal 60 but it's quality is terrible. I'm using an expensive Xbox (and PS2 for that matter) cable that goes to a gold plated RGB Scart male plug and that's plugged directly into the JS Tech box OR via another JS Tech box that allows automatic switching between inputs...

... ie this box has 2 inputs 1 output . 1st input is slave (sky/DVDR) and 2nd is master (xbox). So when xbox on it takes control. When xbox off then Sky/DVDR takes control. Input with control go's to output and THIS goes to the JSTech upconverter and that goes componenet out into the amp.

Make sense?

Anyway that's just by the by as the image is S**T whether I use those boxes or not.

Don't know why this has happened.

I know that just after xmas when I installed the new lamp AND had to reset the AMP I did a factory reset on BOTH.

Maybe it is the picture settings on the projector or something. I know that sweetvision on User1 Picture config has improved sky menus and certainly De-Interlace on has made a HUGE difference.

I don't know what to do about the games consoles though. I haven't tried the Denon DVD or DVR yet as my partner is watching a movie - she's happy with the images at the mo.

It's now looking like just the consoles.

I know that unless they support hi-res HDTV sort of output then all you're getting is 640x480 and on this NEC projector that's never going to look great, but it was NEVER, EVER this blurry!

And it's not my eyes either! Before anyone says anything! ;)

Any more thoughts?

Thanks again.

Mav.

PS

If anyone has one of these DENON amps could the get in touch - it doesn't seem like there is a whole hell of a lot of options regarding how it handles or what it does / doesn't do to pictures and video. Just specify with is component or composite or auto and that's about it. Does that seem right? I've looked at the manual.

How do I know that it's not the AMP that's degrading the picture as I don't have a TV anymore - so whatever comes into the amp can only go to the projector if I want to see the image.

Grrrrr

Totally lost now.

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi again,

I have a Denon 2805, a scaled down version of your amp. To me the component switching is fine and as you say, the options are limited. I always say that you cannot make a silk purse etc, however RGB in to component should at least be a decent picture - mine is.

It sounds odd. maybe the switch box has gone faulty? Is there an RGB option to press to ensure that it is on. Other than this really not sure....

Anyone else?

Cap.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    I once found that if I had some cables connected to the HT1000 but not at the other end, it caused some form of ghosting - I think I had some component cables removed from a DVD player that were still in the pj, and that was the cause. I put them back in, and it was cured.

If you disconnect everything, then try the cables one at a time, starting with the one that is fuzzy, you might find which one is causing it.

What's the pic like if it's connected directly to the pj and doesn't go via the amp?

Gary.