1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nec ht-1000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by meva, Nov 7, 2002.

1. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've decided I want one of these. What's troubling me is 12 months ago I decided on a Plus Piano and 12 months later still no U.K release for it. The ht-1000 is mentioned on every European and worldwide NEC site except www.nec.co.uk. Is my wanting one the kiss of death for a U.K release of any projector ?? Am I getting paranoid??

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I hope not - this looks like a fantastic projector, and probably the highest contrast ratio offered from a lamp projector.

Any DLP offering greater than 3000:1 contrast? What about the Runco 3 chip offerings?

Gary.

3. EMH

EMH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I recieved an e-mail from NEC U.K today saying release was due this month :D

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It looks stunning, I'm an NEC owner, very pleased with mine. Their scaling seems particularly good.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    EMH:

What did you hear wasn't so good about it?

Gary.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A review on projectorcental I want one!

Preview: NEC's Ultra-high contrast HT1000
    Evan Powell, September 17, 2002

Just when we were about to get used to the notion of an 1800:1 contrast ratio as the "leading edge" in contrast performance for digital projectors, now comes NEC's startling announcement of the new HT1000 with a breathtaking 3000:1 contrast rating. This is NEC's first digital projector that is designed specifically for the video performance market. It is billed as a "Residential and Commercial Entertainment Projector" on the preliminary spec sheet. And as you can imagine, it will make a big splash just on the strength of its remarkable contrast rating alone.

The HT1000, the first of a line to be known as the Showcase Series ™, is scheduled to commence shipment in about six weeks. However, we have had a pre-production unit in the lab for the past week, and we can give you some thoughts on our initial experiences with it.

Product Overview (based on preliminary specs)

The HT1000 is a native 4:3 format DLP-based projector which uses the new standard XGA-resolution (1024x768) 12-degree high contrast DMD chip. It is rated at 1000 ANSI lumens of brightness in normal operation. It can be reduced to 800 ANSI lumens in eco-mode to extend lamp life and reduce fan noise in operation. The specifications indicate a contrast ratio of >2000:1 standard, and 3000:1 with the unique IRIS feature activated.

The IRIS feature is simply a mechanical adjustment that lets you stop down the lens aperture by adjusting a lever on the barrel of the lens. You give up about 20% in lumen output, whether you are in normal or eco-mode operation, and gain a visible boost in contrast. This feature works. We achieved the best results with the lens aperture closed down to the minimum setting, confirming once again that sacrificing lumen output in favor of contrast gain is always a safe bet.

Contrast is also further enhanced on the HT1000 with NEC's new "Sweetvision ™" technology. This is a proprietary chip developed by NEC which the company claims adds additional digital contrast enhancement resulting in images that are more vibrant, colors more realistic and blacks richer in detail.

This is the first digital projector in its price range to be spec'd as compatible with 1080p, as well as the more common 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i, 480p, and 480i.

The connector panel features a variety of inputs including one DVI-D, one RGB, one set of 3 RCAs for component, one S-video, one composite jack, a PC card reader, and four mini-audio jacks. (The HT1000 has two 2-watt speakers on board, and separate audio inputs for each video signal source.) Outputs include a screen trigger and one PC control.

The lens is manual zoom and focus. From a throw distance of 12 feet from lens to screen, it produces an image that is 76.5 to 92 inches in width. That translates to a 16:9 format image that is a minimum of 89" diagonal to a maximum of 105", and a 4:3 image that is minimum of 96" to a maximum of 115" given the stipulated 12 foot distance. Allowing for the length of the projector itself plus a one foot clearance for heat dissipation in the rear, the HT1000 will comfortably produce a 100" diagonal 16:9 image in a room that is only 14 feet deep.

As home theater projectors go the HT1000 is relatively small and compact, weighing just 7.1 lbs. Inclusive of the lens it is only 12.6" long and a bit over 10" wide. Its off-white casework is ideal for unobtrusive ceiling mount installation.

Performance

When we fired up the HT1000, it was evident from the outset we could characterize its performance in one word--WOW. This is an exciting projector, and one destined to be among the elite of the home theater projectors in the months to come. Color accuracy is dead-on, saturation is beautiful, contrast is unmatched, black levels are rich and solid. Internal signal processing is superb, and even S-video from a cheap DVD player is stunning. For the money it is the best single-chip DLP projector we have yet seen. From our perspective the HT1000 looks like an outstanding achievement.

Keep in mind that all projectors have limitations and this one is no different. Most users will want to operate in eco-mode, which extends the lamp life from 1500 to 2000 hours. It also cuts fan noise from noticeable to very low. Eco-mode cuts the lumen output by 20%, from a rating of 1000 lumens to 800. Furthermore, most users will want to use the IRIS aperture restriction feature to boost contrast. On the pre-production unit we have, that feature cuts lumen output by an additional 20%, which brings it down into the 600 to 700 lumen range.

Therefore, if you are operating in eco-mode with the IRIS set at minimum aperture (maximum contrast), we would not recommend pushing a 16:9 screen size beyond 100" diagonal. The HT1000 will certainly display a larger image, but as you increase the square footage of the screen you reduce the image quality. It would be a shame to compromise the beauty of this image by stretching it beyond its optimum size.

Another issue to bear in mind is that this is a standard 4:3 native format XGA projector. That means it produces a 16:9 image in a pixel matrix of 1024x576, with black bars falling at the top and bottom of the image in the 4:3 display.

The contrast on this projector is high enough that the use of high contrast (gray) screen material is not necessary. However we used it with the Stewart Grayhawk with truly beautiful results.

Can't see much wrong with that. I like 4:3, F1 isn't in widescreen yet!

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I can't see much wrong with either!

I'm currently running an 800 x 600 DLP via HTPC, so this pj will be a huge improvement except perhaps in black level (mine's also 800 lumens). I currently don't have an issue with black level so I don't see anything to put me off this pj except perhaps the price. (Around £4500 I would say if converting $US to £UK and adding vat).

But that's only because to me it's a lot of money - it's exceptional value when you look at the offerings of Sim2 at £6000+ for a lesser product.

I wonder how much I would get for my Davis DLS8? :)

Gary.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My VT is only 1 yr old:mad: Wife would hang me out to dry for even suggesting an upgrade...

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
  11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    £2,995!

Seems way too cheap - must be a mistake! :eek:

I hope someone gets one locally, I feel a demo coming on....

Gary

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Stunning price for a highly specified PJ. I'd like to see it in action too. BTW Surrey is the end of my universe too....

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Well, I know a place in Horsham and another on the A23 near Hooley that might be promising...

Have to keep an eye out for adverts methinks, and Londons only a short trainride away..

Know anywhere that might get one in?

Gary

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hooley does sound promising. I had my pj demo'd at home, that might be another possibility.

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    According to the thread over at avs, it looks like it will convert all pc frequencies to 60hz. Not so good if you watch a lot of R2 stuff via htpc.

Will have to wait and see what other buyers have to say about this when they have had a bit more hands on experience with it..

Gary.

16. EMH

EMH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary : I'm sorry, but I can't remember where I saw this info. At first, I was like you, amazed by the perf it has on paper (on top of that, it can be put on side, like the Sony's).

One thing is sure, I won't buy anything of that price before watching it in action !

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I'll be trying to find a local(ish) stockist for a demo.

The trouble with some places, is they haven't got a clue about setting projectors up, so you kinda have to balance the info you get from avs with the kludge demo you get. I was lucky to get a demo with my Davis at a place where the guy was very informed on the subject. I was sold within seconds. :)

Contrast ratio for me is the most important thing now, but this pj has a shed load of other functions. Black level should be as good or better than my DLS8, and there's no halo apparently. Higher resolution may make a slight difference for me, but only a demo will tell for sure. It's quieter too.

I'm guessing, but I reckon the issues some may have had with it are black level and rainbows. Some are very sensative to rainbows, and like the cinema, it's very difficult to get true black with a lamp projector.

If you try to realise the full 3000:1 contrast with this pj, it'll be in eco mode so the picture may look dull (according to Alan Cougar), so maybe a higher gain screen will be the order of the day.

18. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think it might be, apparently NEC U.K. haven't finalised a price yet. Fingers crossed, anything more than £4000 ( incl V.A.T ) and its rip-off Britain again. At £2990 ( plus vat ) I think many more will be sold !!!! ( £500 is a lot of money ! ).

19. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi (again) Matt,

The web site price I saw was quoted as this:

"Our price for the HT1000 is £2,660 +vat which is £3,125.50 inc vat."

And will be in stock by next week. If it can take a htpc and look as good as it sounds, I'm sold (I think). :)

I just need a local stockist for a demo...

Gary.