1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC DVI inputs are poor quality???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Oblomov, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As a potential purchaser of a NEC XR3 who wishes to connect a HCPC via DVI I was obviously a little worried to read in another thread the very experienced Hornydragon commenting that the DVI input of these NEC HD models was poor and that better picture quality resulted from a component connection.

Does anyone else know anything about this because if it is true I won't even be going for a demo.

Thanks, Oblomov

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You should still demo! Whats bad for one persons eyes isnt necessarily bad for yours!!!!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you should still demo (i was reffering to DVD film image not PC's) as for HTPC use ie non HDCP content and selectable 50/60HZ the NEC losses its advantage of being HDCP compliant at 720p @ 50Hz

4. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't know about HD models, but I tried both, component and digital on my VR5 from 868i. I can tell the difference but it is very subtle and I had to watch for a few times to really be able to tell it. The digital input gives slightly sharper picture, but component gives smoother tones and less noise on half-tones. This may be due to the Pioneer's DAC and NEC's 12-bit colour processor which is used with component and bypassed with digital.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Been playing with mine. There's obviously more solarisation than with any input on my PHD7, but it's by no means awful, not samsung style or anything. It's a fair trade off for the sky HD paranoid amongst you I'd say. Personally I'd buy the screen of your choice now, and sell it to a less well off mate if it becomes necessary, my guess is that it will be 10-12 years before a majority of folks actually have HD anything, let alone sky, so unless you are a serious early adopter you really do not yet have a problem. Ok if you are a bond trader on £300k and can afford it, why not HD proof yourself now.

6. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    So, MAW, what's you generally view of the NEC then? Care to post your thoughts??

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not blown away, what more can I say. As soon as I have some time, I'll be able to show anyone who wants to see it. How can I make your minds up for you? My name's not John Archer

8. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for all your comments guys.

MAW
    I did not know you had it yet, but it sounds like you much prefer your Panasonic. I'm afraid I don't totally understand solarisation. Maybe you could send me an e-mail when you have finalised your opinion and we'll decide whether or not a demo would be worth the effort. Thanks