1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC DVD ND-1300A problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by suzywong, Dec 9, 2004.

1. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK you clever chaps....here's a problem

my PC has a DVD writer installed.....it's an NEC ND-1300A with the latest NEC firmware (checked with NEC website). It's the master unit on the secondary IDE (with an Artec CD rewriter as slave)

The problem....it has ceased to recognise DVDs! Put a DVD in...the LED on the front lights up for a few minutes....then absolutely nowt! Popup box appears and tells me to insert a CD. There's "nothing wrong" with the DVDs themselves..they work fine on our other PCs.

I've used the Nero utility "Infotool" and it tells me everything is OK. Windoze tells me it's a NEC DVD writer.......

CDs are no problem....they work perfectly (both audio & CD-RAM)

The only changes I've made recently to the system is installing iTunes and Napster (SWMBO & daughter have got iPods!).

Anybody got any ideas about what's going on?

2. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, lots of viewings....but no answers.....

I can't say I'm overly concerned if it's gone to the great PC graveyard in the sky, after all it is two years old and I can get a spanking new dual layer jobbie for £45 at Novatech. It's just a bit of a nuisance to have to do something about it before Christmas!

I'm really just curious as to why it can read CDs but not DVDs (two lasers perhaps, one of which has died?). Haven't tried writing a CD or DVD yet, might do that tomorrow......or might just hit the sherry bottle and put up the Xmas decs instead!:devil:

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yeh, sounds like a dead drive, i'd just buy the latest and greatest! (although not from Novatech i must admit)

4. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gawd, the amount of money I've put Novatech's way, they should be giving me shares! And yet more business for them this Xmas as daughter 1 is getting a PC upgrade.

And I've never had a problem with them (even when I had three HDD go down in six months!), and I can get there in my lunch hour or on my way home.

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Try another firmware upgrade, not an official one. When I updated the firmware on one of my machines it wouldnt see cdr's only dvd's, maybe this is the same sort of problem.
    Do a google for The Firmware Page and you should find something useful :thumbsup:

6. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good website, and I tried one of the firmwares they had, but still no go. Looks like a new DVD writer is in order, but I'm still puzzled as to why it functions OK as a CD writer, but won't recognise DVDs.

7. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    have u tried cleaning the lens