NEC 9pg C board fault

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nic Rhodes, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I think I have a problem on the C board on my NEC 9PG CRT projector. Does anyone know who might fix them in the UK or where there might be spare complete boards for sale? Or is this end of my CRT career? :(

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  3. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nic,

If its the STK chips that have gone they can be sourced in the uk for about £12.00 each from www.grandata.co.uk

These chips are not as good as the genuine Sanyo originals but if the projector is not over stressed they will be fine. If you are running the projector at higher bandwidth I would add heatsinks on the chassis floor directly above the STK chips.

good luck

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Thanks Alan, I had seen your very informative post already. I don't know what is upwith the C board at this stage but informed opinion seems to think this is the faulty component. It seems that the STK are the most likely culprit in that board. The CRT is generally runat [email protected]/60, occasionally [email protected] but I might move things down to 48 and 50 for the future....all of which is about the 50% of the bandwidth, which I think is the 'happy area' for CRTs. How easy are they to swap out?

K, things set in motion... :)

5. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The electronic circuits are of the "Lego Duplo" variety so are fairly easy to work with.

Use a solder sucker to desolder the stk chips before removing them. You will probably find that several legs will break off during the removal process. Once the old chips are off its easy to solder in the new ones.

Near the stk chips you will see 3 large resistors originally blue but may be a lilac colour if they have been replaced previously. When one of the circuits inside the stk chip goes it will often take one of these resistors with it so check them as they may also need replaced.

If your projector still has the pink rubber gasket, remove it and use heatsink paste instead when putting the C-Drive board back into place.

regards

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Thanks Alan, that sounds straight forward enough, I can do Duplo ;) Do you know if a 3857 board will work in a 9pg which I think was a 3712 originally?

7. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

As far as I know the 3857 was from a 9PG plus. It might work but I think it will be slightly different otherwise why change the part number. It could be that the 3857 will work in a pg or a plus, but that a 3712 will only work in a pg.

Best person to ask is Doug Baisey on AVS forum or curt palme http://www.curtpalme.com
    Or drop hammerheadtech an email as I am sure they will know.

cheers

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Just awaiting an email from hammerheadtech :) But bought one anyway to try.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Projector fixed with help from CRT projectors and the info in this thread. Thanks.