1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC 6PG (Imager 601e) Convergence Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by microsoftie, Jun 17, 2004.

1. microsoftie

microsoftie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I'm new to this forum so please be gentle :)

I bought a GE Imager 601e on e-Bay last year and have been very pleased with it (especially as I only paid £800). Problem is, recently it has developed a convergence problem on the red tube. It's fine when first powered on but after about 5 mins, the red convergence just pops and fails to respond to any input from the remote (temperature sensistive). I have some experience with electronics and have narrowed the fault down to the C-Drive board. If I apply pressure to the board near the ribbon connector I can get the fault to disappear but alas this is only temporary.

I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and whether the concensus is that I have one or more cracked tracks on the board or possibly a dry joint (my initial assumption). In my experience these are extremely hard to rectify so unless I can get hold of a replacement board....

Anyone know if spares are available for this model in the UK?

I'd be very grateful for any help on this.

Cheers,

Jon.

2. microsoftie

microsoftie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK apparently this is a known fault with the NEC. The STK392-040 video processing modules overheat and eventually give up the ghost. I've ordered a couple of replacements from visonaids.co.uk. This was before I came across helipilot's excellent guide to spares - grandata.co.uk is selling them for £5.00 less :suicide:

As this is a common problem with the 6PG/9PG, I was going to put together a guide of how to replace the modules together with some photographs of the procedure. Would anyone be remotely interested in this?

I think I'm going to need a new blue tube eventually also and was wondering if anyone knows whether they can still be sourced?

3. tchagui

tchagui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

At first, excuse me for my language, i'm french and i'm not very good in english.

I've just bought a NEC 6PG and i think i've the same problem.
    I can't move the lines of the red CRT from right to left (horizontal).
    I'm interested in changing the STK392-040, but i don't know which is this circuit?
    On my 6PG, there is three STK392-040.
    One is, on the same side that the red CRT, with a STK4275.
    the 2 others are on the other side of the card, under the green CRT.

you wrote that you would write a guide of how to replace the modules with some photographs, did you wrote it?
    i'm interested with your guide.

Thank you for yours answers.

Tchagui

4. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have 2 6pg+'s which I bought 2 years ago now and have replaced the STK chips on both. The first unit failed and I replaced the second unit as a precaution.

Anyway it is a simple process to get the boards out of the unit and the cables are easy as they all have different connectors.

Where I went wrong first time round was not having the proper equipment i.e a solder sucker device and a small pointed soldering iron so I made a bit of a mess as there are many connectors on the chip to solder. So my recommendation is to either get the right equipment which is not very expensive or take the boards and the new chips to a TV/Electrical repair shop and let them do it.

When taking the C drive board out you will have noticed that there is a pink plastic sheet between it and the chassis of the projector, there are many posts on an american site which recommends removing this so that the heat generated by this chips can be dissipated into the chassis and keep cooler, you will need some computer white coloured heat sealing compound ( don't know what it is called ) to get a good contact between the bottom of the C drive and the chassis.

Finally and very importantly when you get the unit working again and begin you convergence procedure only work on it for 10 minutes at a time. After 10 mins let the projector just run for 10 mins to allow the chips to cool down and then do some more adjusting.

Since doing this with my units I have had no trouble at all and the units have been very stable. These are fantastic projectors and once set up properly give an awesome picture.

Sorry just to mention there is the F drive board next to the C drive board with 1 large STK chip on and 1 smaller chip on, these very rarely go wrong apparently and I have not had those replaced so I would just replace the 2 on the C drive board.