1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC 6PG Help Please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by microsoftie, Jun 22, 2004.

1. microsoftie

microsoftie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm fairly new to the CRT game and have an NEC 6PG which I've ceiling mounted and paired with a 100" 4:3 screen. I watch mainly DVD's and the occasional SKY movie. The PJ has RGB inputs and in order to accommodate a wide variety of input material I decided to buy a Zinwell Briteview videoscaler.This will scale up to 1280 x 1024 but the PJ will not lock on at this freq and anyway the sweet spot seems to be the PAL+ mode which is simliar to 720p at 1024 x 768.

Does anyone have a view on whether this setup is OK or whether I could get higher performance by maybe ditching the Briteview for something else. The results seem OK but sometimes the detail looks a little soft to me.

Any help gratefully received!

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    You will get a much sharper image from a 6PG by going 800x600, you should not be able to see any scanlines from your seating position at this resolution.

Do a complete install with this resolution, for both Pal and NTSC and see if that is any better.

Have you made sure your focus, astig etc. are all spot on ?? these NEC's can produce very good images if set up well.

Once set up at a correect resolution for that projector and if you are still not happy then I would look at tracking down a used lumagen or even an iscan pro, that would be far better than the Briteview.

I had an NEC XG and that is considerably sharper than the 6PG, and I used to find of the most pleasing images on that was line doubled, sky and dvd is just too soft above doubled unless you have a pretty high end scaler imho.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    6PG should look great at 600 to 720 lines imho. The briteview is not letting you see what it is capable of. As previous poster has said look for a s/h Lumagen Vision and you'll get a MUCH better idea of what can be achieved. Also, if you have never set up a PJ like this before it might be an idea getting a professional set up and calibration done on it

Gordon

4. microsoftie

microsoftie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this guys - I suspected the BriteView might be a liitle lacking at £350.00 new but my setup is distincly budget (I only paid £800 for the PJ). I have spent quite some time (par for the course with a 6PG!) setting up at 1024 x 768 but never really considered 800 x 600 thinking the line structure may well be visible at this resolution. The PJ is a bit poorly at the moment as the C-Drive board has packed up but I have some new video drivers on order and when she's back up and running I'll try out your suggestion. Price for the Lumagen is around £1000.00 new so I'd like to try and get an idea of the possible improvement before shelling out serious dosh.

Thanks again,

Jon.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    The Vision is currently available until stocks are gone at £600.....s/h probably £450-550.

The new VisionDVI will be around £800ish and will offer similar quality.

Cheers,

Gordon