1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC 525 Mobile Unlocking

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by wing1, Jun 28, 2004.

1. wing1

wing1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Very quick question..

Purchased from Woolies today but the local shops cannot unlock (new)

Anyone know where and if you can get this phone unlocked from O2.

:lease:

Thanks in advance

2. topazz

topazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm finding out the hard way that buying a phone which is unsupported in the uk makes life v difficult. O2's support is pants. After a lot of messing around i've finally figured out how to unlock my O2 Nec 525 so i can use my Virgin sim - and i've finally got it to work!

A suitable USB cable is required (cost £12 ish from a data cable supplier) together with a (free) unlocking utility. The USB cable is worth getting anyway because when used with suitable memory editing software (free download from Nec) you can do all sorts of useful stuff, including uploading free ringtones and wallpapers etc.

If interested, then email me.

3. mani

mani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Topazz,
    I have a nec 525, and I want to use it with my Orange simcard, I have the usb cable and the software to unlock it apparently but it is not working.
    I realised that when I do the operation asked, the sofware to unlock can't find the comport where the usb cable is located... And I can not change apparently the comport where the usb is located.
    Can you help me please!!!!!!

mani

4. topazz

topazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mani

Have you loaded the proper NEC usb drivers?

You need to actually have installed the USB drivers and detected the device on the computer first. So that when it is plugged in, you should see several devices listed for the phone in the hardware manager. If you have not done this, the program has no way to send data to the phone or retrieve it from the phone.

Have you tried using memory editor software and if so, did it work? fyi l used Personal Information Editor III downloaded free from the aussie nec mobile website.

Look at the thread (below), for some general help on using the ace Nectalk unlocking utilty written by a guy who goes under the name of Stalewind.

http://***********/4f2wj

Have a scan through it and let me know how you get on. I'm no expert by any means but i'm happy to help, even though you're a united fan :laugh:

topazz

5. FelixTheCat

FelixTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Topazz,

If you are UK based, can you tell me please where you got your cable. I have Googled, but foud no mention of a 525. Is it the same cable as for other NEC phones?

Thanks,

Felix

6. topazz

topazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I obtained my cable at £12.95 inc. p&p from here:

http://www.activemobiles.com/nec_n8_datacables.htm

It's actually the cable for an N8 but comes with the nec525 usb drivers and GX32 handset manager software which i've not tried as the PIE 3 software (downloaded free) from the nec aussie site works fine.

7. topazz

topazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. FelixTheCat

FelixTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Topazz,

Thanks. I have the cable, downloaded the drivers from NEC US site, plus memory manager, and PIE3 from the French site. I loaded the drivers and PIE3 works perfectly. Memory manager doesn't recognise the phone, with an error message "Unknown Type 0x30060160L" and nectalk reports "RTE is incorrect, response is 0" after finding the correct COM port.

*#7320# reports that the phone is locked with codes <234> <10>.

Clearly, you didn't find any of those problems. Any ideas?

Regards,

Felix

9. topazz

topazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i launch nectalk (using the command line interface, phone switched on, connected to the usb cable and O2 sim installed). Incidentally i read somewhere that it's best to have your usb lead connected directly to a pc usb port not via an expansion hub.

I enter the command (without the inverted commas) "nectalk". The program pauses for a few seconds then displays the message "trying COM1" then a brief pause..."trying COM2" etc then displays "Using auto-detected COM3".

I then enter the command to unlock the phone (careful to type it in exactly as shown but without the inverted commas). "nectalk -pt pte 10079 unlock"
    wait a few secs.....

and that's it - it's done!

Let me know how you get on.

10. FelixTheCat

FelixTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Lord! Oh Master! I prostrate myself in front of your wisdom! (PS note spelling of prostrate)

Perfect! Thank you very much. It was the "pte 10079" that made all the difference. How did you find that out?

Just for a laugh, I entered "nectalk pte 10079 read 1 0". Without the "pte 10079" it just sat and laughed at me. Now it does dump some information. Is pte 10079 a port call or something? Never mind - questioning genius is never very rewarding since I usually understand the answer even less well.

The phone now runs a Virgin sim and an Orange sim and works on both. I haven't tried the more esoteric functions - frankly, I don't need WAP, internet browsing or any of those wonderful things. The camera is pants, too. The other sims lost their address books after use in the NEC, but what the heck!

Come to think of it, why did I buy the phone?

Anyway, many thanks again. The local unlockers either couldn't do it or wanted to charge a fortune. Not only did you save me some money but I still have the cable and I had a fun-filled but frustrating 3 days searching the internet and downloading software.

Regards,

Felix

11. topazz

topazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did the number 10079 come from? Simple really, when i first tried to unlock mine it didn't work for me either so i emailed the guy who wrote nectalk (goes under the name of Stalewind) and he replied with the answer. I think the nectalk utility was originally written to unlock the nec 525's using the at & t service provider and the number is something to do with a "scan address" whatever that is.

Any road up i'm pleased you got sorted.