1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC 50" Plasma - Safety Issue

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lightningvictim, Jan 29, 2003.

1. lightningvictim

lightningvictim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Do not want to cause any undue alarm but a NEC 50" plasma at a large oil company in Aberdeen cracked last Thursday and has caused a major safety alert which has resulted in all NEC plasma's both onshore and offshore being removed from service until further notice.

According to the NEC engineer and insurance assessor the plasma was supposed to have a safety cutout when the screen temperature goes beyond 36-37Centigrade - apparently when this plasma failed the person in the room said the screen was "very hot" to touch. NEC have sent the offending screen the Netherlands for further investigation.

The screen is approximately 2 years old - don't have the model number as yet but the HSE people are in a fluster about it -probably just a one off but as these plasmas are used pretty much 24x7 there could be a component lifespan issue.

It is not really in my area of work but I will try to keep my ear to the ground and keep you abrest of the investigation findings.

Cheers
    Les