1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC 42XR3 vs FUJITSU P42HHS10ES

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by smargi, May 23, 2005.

1. smargi

smargi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I want to know which plasma is better for DVD playing , HD signal , and for standard TV I don't see a lot of review about the nec which some say is the best 42" plasma on the market today but I get an offer for the Fujitsu with have the best result please help out here...?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The fuji is about 3 years old now, the HHA40 has just been released! The NEC does have some fans, I sent 2 back as faulty until I realised they were all like that though. Got the photos if you like that kind of thing. It was unspeakably awful, worse than Tiny, LG, 3 yr old samsung, you name it. The fuji will not be 'HD ready' lacking a HDCP DVI input. The NEC, when it feels like it, can display a 720p HDCP signal. What I found was that with internal frame rate set to 60Hz, the display worked OK, though FRC jerking was obvious, and with internal processing set to 50Hz, the image had a permanent shear line in it, displaced 30% to the left, with the missing part of the picture tacked on to the right. Every minute of so, it would go right, then flick back to this distressing state again.
    HD ready plasmas are hitting the market in droves now, so unless you have some particular reason for only choosing one of these 2 models, I would look elsewhere.

3. smargi

smargi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    first thanks for the replay second is kind of strange to hear that I did a little research around the net and in some retailers and according to the things I read and hear the NEC 42XR3 is one of the best plasma today even batter then the PIONEER 42HDE and Don't Have the problem that you speak of is it possible that you came across some faulty shipment or faulty line form NEC....?

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Are you located in the Sates by any chance?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ah, a man to back me up here. I have said before I would not have an XM3 as a gravestone. I stand by it, it was without any doubt the worst plasma I have ever seen. If you are outside the poxy euro zone, your options are wide open. It's only europeans who are fixated on 50Hz video.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  7. smargi

smargi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You've got 3 people here who have personal experience of NEC. As I said, I sent 2 back before I believed it. Sources for me were RGBS from a DVB set top box, a DVDO iscan HD+, which could only work on analogue, would not give a picture at all on 720p digital, and a Denon 3910 DVD player. All sources had me screaming and running for the door. I'm fairly experienced in plasma, been working with them for 5 years, 3 years of custom install. I don't care what the reviews said, it was lower than a dog t**d

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Cool well if you like the PQ that much go buy one.....................Have you actually seen one or just the review hosted on the NEC site?

10. smargi

smargi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes I did see the screen on one of out big retailer in the country standing beside pioneer 435HDE ,NEC VR5 , Panasonic PHD7 , LG 42PX20 , and picture was the best for all of them with regular TV signal and even better when playing DVD movie I ask the the guy at the store about all the problem I'm reading about he so he try using Denton DVD 3910 with DVI input playing movie at 720P and 1080I and we didn't see any problem the picture just scream out of the plasma one thing we didn't try is HD signal from a set box I will can NEC in my country to hear what the say about the problem you all wrote about I will let you know but so far from all the plasma above the NEC have The best Picture From what I've seen..!

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Fair enough then, perhaps we had a whole batch of howling dogs. Another UK retailer speaks well of them too, just I had 3 awful ones in a row, all lent to me by NEC UK, and Horny saw one at another dealer in the process of his test, in the company of an ISF calibrator, and agreed 100% with my findings! We are not pulling your string here, no axe to grind as obviously you are not even contemplating buying from me anyway, I'm in UK. I am just reporting as I find.

12. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Smargi, the last time I saw two plasmas side by side, the more expensive one was connected via component (pretty much the best possible connection) and the cheaper one was connected by composite (the worst). The dealer was quite happy for me to conclude that the more expensive one was better. And there are lots of other ways to make comparisons unfair.

Dealers cannot be trusted to help you make these decisions. MAW, horneydragon and gizlaroc have more experience, expertise and impartiality in plasmas than anyone you will ever meet, and have given you the best possible advice for free.

Speaking for myself, the only good plasmas I have ever seen have been panasonic and pioneer, though I hear that the new Fujitsus are good.

Are you being swayed by price, by any chance?

Best regards, Nick

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Just to reinforce the point at the "Mega plasma test" there present were myself, 4 members of dealer staff (including 2 directors) a representative from a Plasma and Proffesional VDU equipment distributor, and 2 representatives from a high end cable manufacturer as well as a fully trained and equipped ISF technician. The verdict was unanimous and very un expected, following the test i drove 100 miles to see MAW who had another NEC 1024x768 panel (his second or third) which was exactly the same! Gizraloc also bought a panel not seen by myself and came tot he same conclusions, having sold a panny to buy an NEC he promptly sold the NEC and replaced it with another Panny..........

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    And I sold mine before all these guys did the test, so I was not influenced by their results at all, it was just a case of getting the screen and then deciding I was going to have to swallow my pride and sell it on at a great loss!

15. smargi

smargi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just a little update for you all just finish reading the latest WHAT HIFI and there was an article and test for all the leading plasma NEC 42XR3 got 4/5 and not because of the picture according to the article the NEC as one of the best picture today it got 4/5 just because the plasma don't have scart or TV tuner inside so I don't think every magazine out there that did a test for the XR3 wrong all of them think that the XR3 in one of the best plasma today what do you think...?

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    more importantly what do you think?
    Also what were the test criteria? who tested them? what environment? How were they set up? How was it tested?

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Exactly!

If you are so confident then just buy one. Just try to avoid seeing a Panasonic set up in a system afterwards.

18. smargi

smargi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think I'm going to buy one I seen the Panasonic HD plasma beside the NEC and the NEC better picture and for what environment the Magazine did the test I think one of the world best magazine know how to do plasma tests..!!

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Magasine journalists need no qualifications at all AV wise, nor any experience to get a job. They pick it up as they go along, assuming a degree of intelligence is present. They have a qualification in writing. You give a 21 yr old boy a plasma screen and he's going to go 'wow'. Maybe it's different where you live, but here in GB journalists are the least trusted profession, followed by politicians, and insurance salesmen. You should not trust anybody's opinion but your own. If you buy this and we are right, who are you going to blame?

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Smargi, it seems you want this screen and you are talking yourself into it, you found this site and thought "great, I can get some unbiased opinion from these guys"
    So you ask the question, you get an unbiased opinion, and it is not what you wanted to hear, so you are now defending your choice, which is fine mate but you are arguing with 3 people who have demoed this screen extensivly, and I have personally owned it, so to be honest you sound like a bit of an idiot to me as I am trying to save you a few grand and you choose to ignore the advice.

As I said, just go buy the screen if you want it that bad.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK smargi 2 things how can the picture be "better"?
    and what makes you assume that the A the magazine is one of the best (sales? awards?) B Its the enviroment in your home that matters, if they tested it in black out conditions and you want to watch it during the day or with the lights on how do you know it is still the best? C if they dont tell you how they do the test how can you compare 1 review with another?