1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nec 42xm (the One?)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hutchys, Sep 28, 2004.

1. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in the NEC42XM2 does anyone own/have this plasma? I would be looking to use it with a ISCAN HD if this would improve the PQ,has anyone seen this combination in use also? i would be using Sky digital and a DVD(progressive scan)player with an AV amp. Also being fairly new to this has anyone any ideas on the connections required for this set up with the ISCAN HD.

2. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has any one got the NEC 42XM2?? or has everyone only got a panasonic or pioneer.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NEC is as popular as panny, Hitachi or Pio..... or even Fujitsu.... So why the NEC???
    A Fujitsu 42VHA30 with Iscan HD running 720p into RGBHV (vga) is supposed to be superb.... VHA30 is excellent anyway!

4. RKCJ

RKCJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of a 42XR3 (silver version of 42XM3) today. Two words, “Blown Away”. This panel has exceeded all of my expectations.

Even watching TV through a VCR is not bad. Xbox via S-Video and DVD via component are excellent.

Post here for any specific questions answered.

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yeah VHA30 is the best of the low res 42s, but XM2 is XGA res for less than VHA30 money! Colour accuracy is outstanding, black level and shadow detail is no better/worse than a pioneer (slightly less "grey" looking but still not black) and you get 1024 x 768 pixels to play with :cool:

6. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I take it the 42XR3 still had the connections down the right hand side of the panel (as you look at it)?

ZedZed

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes the XR3 does have the connections that way, on the surface it's not too different looking from the XM2 but the processing is further improved still and the DVI socket is HDCP compliant. Can't wait to see one myself...

8. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just a shame they put the connections down the side - it's the only thing that put me off an NEC. And the "cable cover" that you can get for it isn't exactly subtle - so it lost out due to styling (which is a consideration, as the Mrs. will go nuts if I spend thousands on something she thinks is an eyesore! lol)

ZedZed

10. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RKCJ, congrats on your purchase!

Would you know for sure what are the supported resolutions via the DVI connection? In particular does it support 1080i@50Hz via DVI? Via VGA? (I think it does via Y,Pb,Pr).

Btw would you mind telling us where you ordered it, and at what price range?

TIA.

11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You can only see the connections from an extremely acute angle, they don't actually stick out or anything as daft as that! (cable cover is a messy old thing though)

They've quite confusingly muddled up their product codes again but XR3 is based on XM2 but is of their *new* range. If it's silver its XR3 and home oriented, if it's black XM3 and commercially oriented. Although they are otherwise the same!! Theres a VR5/VP5 (VGA 42"), 42XR3/XM3 (XGA 42"), and 50 and 61" flavours.

12. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    can you share where you bought it from? cheers!

jason

13. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah - but the cables would be visible from the side (obviously!) - which would be as soon as you walked into my lounge as the plasma is at right angles to you as you walk into the room :-(

Not to worry ... it'll be the Panasonic PW7D for me :)

ZedZed

14. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies and yes HD as Liam as said I want to know about the NEC over the others due to the price this can be had right now. With the extra resolution it seems a good buy. I can get this and the ISCAN HD for the approx price of the Panny PHD. Which according to what I have read here and elsewhere should give a better PQ?
    I persume the new NEC will be a lot more than this outgoing model? If I went down the NEC path could anyone point me in the right direction connection wise with the ISCAN HD please.

thanks

15. RKCJ

RKCJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi zedzed,

You are correct; the inputs are still down the left hand side. As Liam mentioned, they are recessed (11.5cm) from the edge of the panel; I am only running one component cable from a receiver and I personally don’t notice it.

I suppose it is comes down to ones personal taste/tolerance.

16. RKCJ

RKCJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Peezee,

I never said that the XR3 was the silver version of the XM2; I said it was the silver version of the XM3. I only mentioned it in case it was thought that the XR3 was a completely different panel.

It looks like it does support 1080I at 50Hz; the following is taken from the manual

HD/DVD/DTV input signals supported on this system:
    · 480P (60Hz)
    · 480I (60Hz)
    · 525P (60Hz)
    · 525I (60Hz)
    · 576P (50Hz)
    · 576I (50Hz)
    · 625P (50Hz)
    · 625I (50Hz)
    · 720P (60Hz)
    · 1035I (60Hz)
    · 1080I (50Hz)
    · 1080I (60Hz)

Compatible with HDCP:
    · 640 x 480P @ 59.94/60Hz
    · 1280 x 720P @ 59.94/60Hz
    · 1920 x 1080I @ 59.94/60Hz
    · 720 x 480P @ 59.94/60Hz
    · 1440(720) x 480I @ 59.94/60Hz
    · 1920 x 1080I @ 50Hz
    · 720 x 576P @ 50Hz
    · 1440(720) x 576P @ 50Hz

I am not sure about VGA, but it supports the above via:
    · RCA-pin (Y, PB[CB], PR[CR])
    · BNC (Y, PB[CB], PR[CR])
    · DVI-D

17. RKCJ

RKCJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jason,

I got a local Sydney retailer to price match www.avaction.com.au. I paid AU$6039 with stand and delivery.

18. RKCJ

RKCJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Liam,

Not sure your definition of being “based on”, but there are differences between the 42XM2 and 42XM3. E.g. the 42XM3 now has 68.7 Billion Colours; the greyscale has been improved, would that be the 4096 steps figure????

19. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    "Based on" as in it's the replacement 42" XGA res panel but with better processing (which I said earlier). It actually had 12 bit processing last time round and boasted 4096 shades then too! The 68 billion colours thing is new this time round and I imagine contrast has been improved although NEC traditionally don't make a big thing of contrast ratios. Can't wait to see one myself, wondering how much Pioneer influence is involved...

20. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RKCJ, :blush: sorry for the misunderstanding, very confusing those ref. numbers...!

And thanks a lot for the complete input specs, from your post it looks like these NEC screens do cover pretty much all bases, which sounds great - most plasmas today do NOT! Of course there are sometimes major differences between what's sold in the US or Australia and what we get here in Europe (especially around HD support! :mad: ) but hopefully we'll get the very same specs here.

Btw if you have a link to the NEC manual which contains that information I'd appreciate it, thanks again.

As for the number of colours supported, though I have no doubt modern video processing is perfectly capable of handling 12-bit data churning at full rate, I'm a bit more skeptical as to how accurately the screen itself reproduces those billions of shades of colours - especially when one thinks of how plasma screens actually perform "shades" (sub-pixel pwm based technique, not an actual fine control over phosphor brightness )...

As Liam says, can't wait to see one of these screens in action...! :)

21. RKCJ

RKCJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You lost me on the above! :confused:

Here is a link I was using before I made my purchase Info

It's not the same manual as what I received with the panel, but, the information seems to be the same.

22. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RKCJ, re: colours, nothing to bother really, the real benchmark is how happy you are with the picture you're getting on yr NEC screen, everything else being purely technical debate...

Thanks a lot for the link. Just reviewing it... Ah, well! Though it's not mentioned on p.6 with the supported video resolutions, the DVI input DOES indeed support the screen's native 1024x768 resolution (actually they do recommend this resol. for best operation), this is great for HCPC owners... :smashin:

Also on the same page, there's a "Memory" column on the right, d'you happen to know what it's there for...? Could it be that there's a picture memory for each resolution?

I'm beginning to wonder what's not to like with this plasma... well, guess I'll have to actually _see_ it before I can definitely answer that question! :laugh:

23. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    It's a shame it doesn't appear to support 720p50 or 1080p50/60 which could be a disadvantage with future European HD STBs, but hopefully these boxes will allow different output resolutions like 1080i50 for better compatibility.

Steve

24. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe HD STB's will have to support *both* 720p50 and 1080i50 output resolutions, and be able to output either type of signals regardless of the incoming source vertical resolution, be it 720 or 1080. Not 100% sure though.

As for 1080p I don't think there's any serious plan yet for Europe (bandwidth consumption issue I guess).

Another issue is to understand whether or not HD signals will be sent by STBs as such via their Y,Pb,Pr (YUV) output if they have one, or will be downrez'ed to 576p - in order to enable HD only via HDCP protected digital connection (DVI-HDCP or HDMI).

It's important to know because many (if not most) plasma screens do NOT support HD resolutions at 50Hz via DVI or HDMI, but instead only via YUV. And I would hate not to be able to watch HDTV whenever it actually arrives (some time in 2005 I hope) on my future plasma screen...

25. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cool! thought you were in the UK though....havent seen any adverts on an XR3 in the UK so far, even on internet shops
    :thumbsdow

congrats on your XR3 dude

26. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Jason - XR3 isn't due into the UK until nearer the end of the year (no exact date at all yet). This is why the XM2 and VP4 are going down to such silly prices!

27. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Down the left hand side of the panel as you look at it? I thought it was down the right hand side?

ZedZed

28. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the heads-up Liam, im really interested with the XM2 but the advent of the XR3 is leading me towards its path :) that's why im taking my time at the moment, i hope the prices are pretty much the same way as the PW7 were introduced (i mean not being too far from the price of its predecessor)

cheers

29. RKCJ

RKCJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, sorry. They are down the right hand side.

30. Olg

Olg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi RKCJ,

Can you tell me if your NEC is silent?