1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nec 42vr5 £1586 confirmed next day delivery

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andya, Jan 4, 2005.

1. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    spoke to matt butcher at nexnix today and if i order tommorow i will get it next day ,he guarantees me nec have them in stock.to me this is a bargain not to be missed and it includes vat

http://www.shootandshow.co.uk/nec-42VR5.htm

2. robbleiper

robbleiper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Can't seem to find much feedback on this screen, can anyone shed light of how in performs???

3. wayblack

wayblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyone who can shed any light on this unit, I was about to buy a pany PW7 but have been put off by the HDTV issues

The NEC VR5 looks like the best alternative, can anyone comment

4. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i spoke to a guy today who had it in stock and he said it was superb on par and slightly better than the panny 7 ,thing is nearly everywere is doing these for £1800 £1900 so maybe nexnix will up the price ,i hope not

5. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    andya, just one differing opinion here. I went to see a (admittedly short) demo of the NEC 42VR5 yesterday, expecting great things (based on readings here and on the previous gen' VP4 model which I had found really good)...

Well, have to say I've been a tad disappointed. What I saw was a rather dull picture, poor contrast, and visible stuttering on pans (with a 28" LCD screen right below the VR5 not showing even an ounce of stuttering though playing the same video at the same time from the same source)...

Ok, the plasma and/or source (DVD playing a nice "demo" DVD, ya know the perfectly compressed ones...) might not have been setup properly, but what I'm saying is do NOT buy before you've seen it.

Btw, most <very positive> opinions posted on this forum are about the HD model (42XM3), not the VR5. So be careful, that's all I'm trying to say... ;)

6. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Sorry for shameless bump, but I'm also looking at the VR5 and I'm a bit worried about peezee's comments.

Can anyone else with VR5 (I'm probably looking at the dealers amongst you) provide any further views?

Sadly, I'm unable to demo one of these screens due to me leaving in the badlands (Teesside) where noone has heard of NEC plasmas, nevermind stock them. I really don't fancy having to trek all the way to Kent/Surrey for a 10min look at a £1500(ish) plasma so I'm quite reliant on the forum commentary for my buying information.

So, this is a call to keep the NEC plasma (VR5/XR3) comments coming!

7. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the other issue with the NEC VR5 is that it is only 16.7m colours vs the 1bn of the PW6/7?

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
  9. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a 42VR5. I haven’t noticed any stuttering on my screen (and any other NECs that I demoed before purchasing). Pans are smooth, especially on video sources. There is some stuttering on progressive film sources, but that's not because of NEC and could be seen on any progressive display.

10. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still confirm that I did see some amount of stuttering on the VR5; not a great amount to be clear, but it was noticeable, in fact I first thought "that must be the DVD player not up to par", then my attention was caught by an LCD monitor right below the NEC (not sure if it was a Panasonic LCD TV) and I immediately saw the difference there: the pan was perfectly smooth on the LCD...

Having said that, these NEC displays do have impressive specs, and I'm convinced this new gen can do better than what I saw 2 days ago, esp. if it's supposedly an improvement over the 42VP4's (which I found to be more than decent displays, in fact I almost pulled the trigger to get one until I started to read about HDCP... :rolleyes: ).

Anyway - in general I really don't think it's a good idea to buy such expensive items "blind"... What about the looks and design (a picture isn't all), the size/volume it actually takes and how it would fit in yr house, how are the connections layed out, and of course what the picture looks like with a DVD, Sky, etc... compared to other plasma screens...

But hey, to each his own, having to drive a long distance to demo a TV might not sound too exciting, but having to pack and mail that huge and fragile TV back to the retailer because it just doesn't do the job isn't too great either... :suicide:

11. wayblack

wayblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I have just been talking to Matt Butcher at nexnix who now have an NEC RV5 installed next to a Panny PW6 and I think he said a Hitachi in their demo room

They have done a *short* test including DVD (Not Digital), Sky and a PC, I stress this was a short test so please don't shoot the messenger

Matt said that in their opinion during this SHORT test the VR5 certainly rivalled if not bettered slightly the Panny PW6

Has anyone else got any feedback on the VR5 ? :lease:

12. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    im going to nexnix to see the nec and if i like it ill buy there and then,apparentley it has the edge on both the panny and the hitachi and best of all 2 year warranty and cheaper than the other two

13. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Andya,

Can your budget only goto the £1.5k for this screen? Only asking as I believe MAW is getting the XR3(HD) version of this screen and so it may be worth hanging on a bit to see how much better(or worse) the XR3 is over the VR5. That's what I am doing anyway.

Cheers,

Steve

14. wayblack

wayblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a first time buy of a Plasma I think that £1500 is aceptable, I wouldn't like to go much higher unless there was a very good reason.

While I am on is there anyone who can spot any difference between the 42VR5 and the 42VM5 it's just that I want a Black surround (VM5), and I have been reading these forums for the past four weeks and my eyes are about to give up on me

TIA

15. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    The XR3 / XM3 is a bit steep at allmost double the price £2814

http://www.eurosimm.com/sites/eurosimm.nsf/searchxml.jsp?query=plasma*&start=1&count=10&extra

or £2585 at AV Sales and a few quid more at IVOJO

16. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    nexnix have both the nec high res and the low res so i can see both,i just think that the price will really fall this year what with lcd prices going down and more production plants ,to me £1500 is the most i want to pay i already have a sharp 32ga3e and am very happy with it it just the size of the plasma i like and paying any more to me cant be justified at the moment ,the market is going to change this year and i believe before the end of the year you will be able to get a 42inch lcd for similar money

17. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Ivojo and Nexnix, the # of colours is 16.7m - I think the brochure refers to the XR3, compared to 1bn in the panny.

Do any retailers know the true answer?

18. wayblack

wayblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    andya

When are you going to take a look at this? I would be interested inyour oppinion, could you also find out what the difference is between the 42VR5 and 42VM5 while you are there? :lease:

TIA

19. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Andya,

Would also be interested in your thoughts on both the VR5 and XR3 and if the XR3 is worth the extra 1k.

Cheers,

Steve

20. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In relation to these comments regarding plasma specs on colours, I'll quote myself from one of my posts over on the Lumagen forum.

21. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    all the new nec have 68.7 billion colours 4096 levels

22. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes but that will be the number of colours that it can sample from an incoming signal, not the actual number of colours that can be displayed.

The following is a reply from NEC UK regarding the misleading specs for the 42XM2S.

Ryan

23. osho

osho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all right
    i have my NEC 42vr5 brochure behind my eyes :)

Color processing : 4,096 steps 68,7 billion colors

P.S. Yesterday im watched new anime APLESEED (and it was compressed from 2 layers to 1) and it was amazing :eek: even with contrast and brightness at 35-40%

24. wayblack

wayblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, For anyone who is interested I have just spoke to NEC pre Sales there is no technical difference between the VR5 and VM5.

The differences between the two are

VR5 - Residential OSD Geared towards Home users, and has Silver Bezel
    VM5 - Multimedia OSD Geared towards Commercial, and has Black Bezel
    :clown:

25. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm completely confused about the colour thing. When Panny make claims about 1bn colours and NEC about 68bn colours, are you saying that actually, the display can never display these many colours?

Also, phoned up a couple of retailers, both of whom said that the VR5 had 16.7m colours!!?

26. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC from a similar topic last year on previous gen NEC plasma (42VP4), I had investigated this and found out that it had its internal video acquisition and processing performed on 12 bits (or 10, can't remember which) hence reference to "billion colours", however the electronics driving the phosphors were actually only able to reproduce 16.7M colours (i.e. 8-bit/256 levels of shade).
    <one has to understand how greyscale is reproduced on a plasma screen to perceive the difficulty in doing better than 256 levels>

This would provide a more accurate pixel value (less conversion and rounding errors compared with an 8-bit acq./processing unit), these precise values being then "adjusted" to the closest 8-bit value on the display itself (losing some of the accuracy in the process, but not all, especially for very complex computations). <dithering being probably used as well to emulate more gradations/details on screen...>

Beside, this 12-bit accuracy was only available via analogue inputs (using on-board 12-bit video ADC converters), i.e. not valid in case of the DVi input (which requires less processing btw).

Now I can't confirm whether or not the situation is the same on the VR5's, but from reading yr posts here ("Yeah it's Billion colours", "No, it's just Million colours" :D ) it looks as though it might well be the case...

27. wayblack

wayblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is off topic, so we could make another thread?

I have decided to order the 42VM5 today so it will be with me some time tomorrow

Can anyone help with the best way to connect I have the following

SKY+
    Cyberhome DVD
    XBOX

Currently

DVD --> SCART --> SKY+ --> SCART --> TV
    XBOX --> SCART --> TV

The NEC 42VM5 has the following connections,

Input Signals Video: - Composite/S; DTV: Y,Pb(Cb),Pr(Cr); RGB; PC

Input terminal RGB
    - RGB1 Mini D-Sub15pin x 1
    - RGB2 BNC (R,G,B,H/CS,V) x 1
    - RGB3 DVI-D 24pin x 1

Input Terminal Video
    - Video 1 BNC 1pin (Composite Video input)
    - Video 2 RCA 1pin (Composite Video input)
    - Video 3 S-Video input: DIN 4-pin x 1

Input Terminal HD/DVD/DTV
    - DVD1 / HD1 = RCA-pin (Y, PB[CB], PR[CR]) x 1
    - DVD2 / HD2 = BNC (Y, PB[CB], PR[CR]) x 1
    - DVD3 / HD3 = DVI-D 24-pin x 1

I was thinking

DVD --> SCART --> SKY+ --> SCART --> PLASMA RGB2 BNC
    XBOX --> SCART --> PLASMA DVD1 / HD1 RCA-pin

Does this make sense? I'm a beginner at this so please feel free to condemn :zonked:

28. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi Wayblack,

Did you see a demo of the VM5? If so can you give us your opinion of the screen and what made you buy itand the price?

Also, what are the OSD differences between the VR5 and VM5?

Thanks,

Steve

29. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    i'd love to hear too, this seems to be a possible alternative to the PW range, especially in light of HD developments (or not as the case may be).

30. wayblack

wayblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve\Vipen

I will certainly post an update when I have it all setup probably over the weekend

I got it from NEXNIX http://www.shootandshow.co.uk/ for £1586 +10 Delivery

The Difference with the OSD;

VM5 has additional menus for things like video walling display inversion etc. the additional things that a company may want for commercial use.

VR5 being the retail does not

I'll get back to this thread when I have my grubby little hands on my new toy

In the meantime has anyone got an answerer to my connectivity question above?

TIA :rotfl: