1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nec 42vp4

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kamal_raza, Oct 6, 2003.

1. kamal_raza

kamal_raza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to the Ideal Home Show on Saturday and a company called AVE1 from Croydon had a stand there. They were offering

NEC 42VP4S (silver)
    Wall mount
    Sony DAVS50
    2 year warranty
    Delivery
    cable

for £2899 inc vat. Seems like a great deal and so I have given them a fully refundble deposit.

I already have a DAV 800 and so will ebay the 550. and expect to get £200.

Am I making the right choice of plasma?? The NEC was next to 2 panasonic W6s- all being fed from the same source. The picture on the NEC was significantly better. Much sharper and brighter. They claimed that the sets were all on factory setting and connected in an appropriate manner.

Another question. How do I maximize the picture quality and connectivity.

I have

1) DAV800 which uses a single yellow lead
    2) Sky box with 2 scarts
    3) Video with 2 scarts.

I know NOTHING about this stuff. All I know is that the shop are giving me a lead with scart on one side and 3 phono leads on the other.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well your picture will be just like the service you will get from these bods.... but it's very cheap. I'd keep the 550, stick the 800 speakers on it and use the component output from that for DVD, RGB and synch for sky, and forget the video, if its a std VHS the picture is not up to being shown on a 42" screen. Better still would be to ebay both the sonys which are both not very good, and get yourself a decent DVD player and sound to match your lovely plasma. You might spend some of that cash you've saved on professional help to get the best from your system.

3. kamal_raza

kamal_raza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the mail

I am confused! Do you mean that the service will be good or bad? Have you used them before? They seem really helpful?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They are actually a distributor. I've used them, I avoid whenever possible, just wait till delivery day. Don't worry too much, they're quite trustworthy, won't run off with the money or anything, but laugh? You'll need to, I hate to see a grown man cry. But don't expect tech support, or normal retailer service from them, they're not geared up for it. They should also have been able to get just as good a picture on the Panny as the NEC, they just don't know how.

5. kamal_raza

kamal_raza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So assuming that the Panny and NEC have the ability to get good picture quality then is it worth spending extra £300 on panasonic (NEC=£2700 net of Dav 550 vs £3000 for Pana)

Also-what is a distributor? I have yet to find anyone who seems knowlegeable on plasmas!

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Was it Luke or Vijay you spoke to? They know all about selling them, I don't think he's ever installed one.

7. kamal_raza

kamal_raza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dippen and Mark

Their stand seemed pretty good

Point is..am I being sold the NEC or am I making the right choice!

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No problem at all with the choice, it's a great screen with an even better warranty. The DAVS system, neither of them are really up to the job with a plasma, though I've seen some fair picture quality with the 550. The 800 is a non-starter, it's too old and has no suitable output, though I thought it had s-video? The sound from the 550 will be lost in anything larger than a small flat type sitting room.

9. kamal_raza

kamal_raza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you are correct-it has S video-will this help my cause?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Better than composite, (yellow phono) Will give you 1/2 decent picture, but the plasma is wasted on it. But might tide you over. There will be an input for it on the NEC, and you need a cable for RGB and synch, scart to 4 BNC's, lecktropaks will make you one. You can in fact pass the VCR signal through the sky too

11. kamal_raza

kamal_raza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it arrived a day late but they sorted out a late night delivery. The DVD is hooked up via S video. The picture is spectacular...it takes my breath away!

The leads they gave were a joke and so I got a Keene Sync Blaster scart to 5 BNC for Sky. Not that great on sky but the best I have ever seen on DVD. SHould that be what to expect?

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sky picture will never be as good as DVD, though DVD on s-video and sky by VGA,(RGBHV) should be close. You've got a premium display, you have to use the very best connections to get the most out of it. The JS RGB-VGA unit will outperform a synchblaster cable, though at a price. Use a good s-video lead, even a Cambridge one from Richer might further improve the dvd if you are using a thin one. But with Sky the limiting factor ultimately is the signal they are sending. You can really see the difference between studio material and outside broadcast. It's simply down to the size of the image.

13. kamal_raza

kamal_raza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently the RGB to VGA doesnt always work with NEC plasmas. JS have recommended RGB to Component (YUV) Converter as a safer option. Do you think that this will improve upon the Keene Sync Blaster? It costs around £200 with all the cables-compared to £75 for the Keene

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In short do it.

15. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope this isn't hijacking a thread, but I am going for a similar set up, due for installation a week from tomorrow, and need some advice.

My main elements will be the same NEC plasma, a Denon 2900 player, a Denon 3803 receiver, sky+ and Panasonic HS2 recorder. My supplier is strongly recommending a direct connection from the 2900 to the plasma via component, and the sky+ via an s-video. I have not had a clear reply on how to factor in the HS2 and other elements that might come along, like my son's xbox. He tried to explain why he thought I should hook the 2900 direct instead of using the 3803's component upsampling (uplink?), but I couldn't understand, except for the possibility of slightly better signal because it's not running via the 3803.

Can anyone advise on the best way to run this? Also wondering if I am going to use aspect auto-switching if I am using component. Thanks in advance for any help.

Stevie

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Component does not carry aspect switching, you set the DVD to 16:9 and forget about it. There are very few 4:3 DVD's and you can take care of it with various zoom modes on the plasma. With the NEC, you are doing yourself down with s-video from sky+. Your installer is either trying hard to save you money, or got cheap on you. It's OK, but not the tops. I can see where he's coming from with component direct from the 2900, but to then connect sky with s-vid. is to head in the opposite direction. Also, you have 2 component inputs,or 1 and a rgb+synch, my choice for sky. The alternative would be to connect all via the 3803, with component video switching, and for best signal, a rgb-component converter, it'll be noticeably better than upconversion on the amp. I'd connect your x-box to the sky VCR scart, and use scart pass thro. to get rgb from x-box to rgb-component converter, hence to 3803 for switching. Cheaper than 2 converters! It gets a bit complicated, but a little logic, and the cerain knowlege that s-video is junking some of the sky signal, and you'll have it sorted

17. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help with this. Aspect switching is not really an issue with dvd, you're right, but it does come up all the time with sky broadcasts. If I connect sky to the plasma with rgb+sync, will I still get auto switching?

And are these two different options you are suggesting I consider? i.e. a) use upconversion (presumably neater, more convenient) OR b) use an rgb-component converter (more expensive but better picture)? Not both?

When I am laying out quite a lot of money on the whole system, I don't want to penny-pinch at this point, so best advice for best picture (first priority) and neatness (2nd) would be appreciated

thanks
    Stevie

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Best picture, and convenience too, though more wires to hide, is RGB/component converter and switch with the denon. S-video upconversion saves money but loses info from the signal. As I said, it's not bad, just can do better. RGB and synch loses out on convenience, unless you have a good learning/programmable remote. Still no w/s switching, it's a scart only feature, except see thread at the top, automatic aspect switching for plasmas.

19. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the converter is the way to go. Does this mean the dvd and the sky both go through the converter? Is the converter something like this?

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/homecinema_signalconverters_rgbtoyuv.htm

Not sure how, or if, both the sky+ and the 2900 go through the converter.

And then I have only one cable from the converter to the screen? Sorry, I know I am being a bit dense here, but I still can't get my head around it all.

Stevie

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, the 2900 does component already. Cable that to the 3803's component in. Sky goes scart-converter-3phonos-2nd component in. Monitor component out from 3803 goes to screen. Cable the digital sound out from both to the amp, assign the sound and vieo inputs, and hey presto, it's as good as it gets. Well there is a theoretical degradation from passing the component video through the amp, but Denon work awfully hard to see that it's minimal.

21. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it! That makes a lot of sense... many thanks, and apologies for my denseness.

What's the best place to try and get the converter? mediafactory?

thanks again!
    Stevie

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There will do, or direct at rgbtosvideo.com, or from me or at av sales. Take your pick, it's not an item worth fighting over the sale for. Depends where you are and if you want one in your sweaty hand or not.

23. kamal_raza

kamal_raza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So its all connected up.

DVD via S video
    Sky via Keene Synchblaster (couldnt afford the rolls royce JS solution as I want to upgrade to the new Jamo DVD that has component and prog scan on Pal and NTSC)

I have then set Sky to RGB

I have plugged in video from scart to scart on Sky. I am getting no picture and only sound! What am I doing wrong?