1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC 42MP3 Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by skippy88, Dec 27, 2002.

1. skippy88

skippy88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I see that all the Plasma talk on the forum is of Panny's & Pioneers... fine dispalys as I am sure they are, does anyone run an NEC MP3 which you can give me your opinions on.

I am planning on buying this to match with a Denon 3800 DVD....I intend to run the DVD & Sky box (Vis JS RGB-Component converter) through Denon AVC11SR outputting Component into the Plasma component inputs....the audio from the Sky?DVD will be fed into the Denon Amp & Output to JM Labs Cobalt speakers.

Your comments/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Skippy...

2. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Skippy88,

I originaly had an NEC 4210W which I traded in for a 42MP2.

I ran the MP2 until very recently when I sold it in order to move up to a 50" Panasonic TH-50PHW5B.

Aside from their reduced black level performance in comparison to Panasonic panels, I always found both of my NEC screens to offer an excellent picture quality with vibrant and realisitic colours. :)

I believe the MP3 has improved black levels in comparison to my MP2 and therefore will be an excellent screen, I would however give serious consideration to the High Resolution MP4 model. One of the main reasons for my upgrade was the desire to obtain a High Resolution panel for future HD-DVD use, and I can now confidently state that my only significant concern, that of how good a standard DVD image would look when scaled up to my new panels 1366 x 768 resolution has been laid to rest. My DVD's look great on my High Resolution display so don't let any concerns about this put you off!

In a couple of years time you may well be very grateful that you decided to opt for a Higher Resolution panel now, when you see how much more picture information they can extract from a HD-DVD signal than a standard 853 x 480 resolution panel can.

To summarise then, IMHO the MP3 is a good screen but If I were you, and you wish to stick with NEC, I'd give serious consideration to the MP4 model. My ultimate advice however would be to go for the Panasonic 42" / 50" High Resolution models.

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.