1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nebula's DigiTV and Sky

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gab2001uk, Apr 14, 2003.

1. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Having read about the DigiTV card from http://www.nebula-electronics.com/ and the sugestion on these forums they may be making a Sky card, i thought I would email them to find out. I sent it at 12:00 Midnight on Sunday, ready for them to read in office hours first thing Monday.
    20 mins later, when I was heading for bed, I got this reply:
    How's that for sevice!
    I will definitely be ordering a freeview card from them to build a HTPC in the near future, and looking forward to one less box in the AV rack when the card appears.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Graphics cards outputting UHF? I've never seen one, most graphics cards output composite video and S-Video.

Rather than decoding dolby digital, outputting it undecoded via SPDIF would be better, and not require a licence.

And then there's the issue of needing a conditional access module and a Sky card to view sky channels, even tho the BBC has plans to go encryption free, everything currently of interest is encrypted...

3. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I agree entirely that undecoded would be better. i will put that to them. As you may know the only current Sky digibox to have optical output is the Sony, but it still will not output 5.1 through this connection, as it is disabled internally, thus making you go for the more expensive Sky+ box with buit-in PVR.

As regard to sky card etc., I assume that was the idea, that you could use it with your existing Sky card, and have one less box to clog up the sitting room with. Again i will check to find out.

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None of these cards have Dscaler support do they?

Great news if they did, better news would be some way of getting access to HD Sat in Europe.

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They there is no need for DigiTV to decode AC3/DTS. It should be done in the same way as WMP9, with an external plug in.

6. Peter J Roberts

Peter J Roberts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about SMART TV SATELLITE from Hercules (www.hercules-uk.com) isn't it capable of decoding Sky? (I dont know and am looking to find out)