1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nebula v. Freeview box

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bernard Barnett, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have any of you done a comparison of Freeview picture quality between a plasma fed by a PC plus Nebula card and a direct feed by stand-alone set-top box? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Svideo from freeview into by 32PW5.
    Sucks. noisy edgy picture , badly deinterlaced, crunchy image. Yuck its what the kids use when I'm out.

Svideo into xcapture card and through Dscaler.
    Pretty Good, very watchable, much better deinterlace natch , more detail visible , smoother pans better colour. Chroma delay correctable in Dscaler , little bit of noise still hiding fine detail.

Sweetspot fed RGB and through Dscaler.
    Zero noise, more colour detail , better fine detail. Looks much sharper.

DigiTV

zero noise , more colour detail , more intensity detail , more fine detail ,Looks sharper than any of the Dscaler solutions with more usable contrast range. Deinterlacing is not as good as Dscaler but its not bad. Film stuff is fine, Bob deinterlace is normally pretty good for most other material but does suffer from artifacts. Also has a controllable audio delay and aspect ratio selection between 4x3 and 16x9 is perfect.

I suspect sdi or PDI into Dscaler would give the digiTV a run for its money but given the choise I'll normally watch freeview on the nebula and use the sweetspot and a standalone box if I'm recording with digiTV.

If they can impliment a deinterlace method auto selection routine and some motion estimation based methods it would be pefect but I suspect your cpu usage will increase significantly.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    We project with a uvem and nebula, it can't be beat. Plasma or projector, it's as near to perfection as a std res tv picture is ever going to be. The new nebula software allows any PC with the (free) software installed to watch dig. tv over the network, multi channels, PVR functions etc. You know it makes sense. Oh, and 7-day epg too.