1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nebula screen size on pj and other newbie q's!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DaveP, Mar 7, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ATI 9600SE connected via DVI to my Sony HS20. The PC is running MCE 2005

When I use my Black Gold card, through Media Centre, I get a full screen image mapped to 1366x768 on the pj. When I use the Nebula card in full screen mode though it shrinks the screen down the right hand side and I get a black strip about a foot wide.

This is obviously not a serious problem but I wondered if anyone knew why it was happening.

I should add that the desktop image, when put through the projector, fills the screen but it has dark blue strips down the left and right sides. Is this normal?

Finally, I've started to look at FFDshow but I dont understand how it works or how I use it :rolleyes:

By this I mean that when I go to Start-->Programs-->FFDShow I only get configuration options. Is this normal? I would have expected to be able to just "Run" the program. Do I have to keep a configuration screen open to get it to run? Also, how does it know which application I am trying to run through it (does it only work with TT?)and how do I set the resolution?

Thanks once again for your help.

Dave

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I use a nebula into an HS20 at 1368x768 56Hz and don't have this problem.
    Have you tried changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 in the nebula settings? You only use the 16x9 options for a non-square pixel display which the HS20 ain't.

I'm a bit worried about your desktop . Are you sure you are getting full panel usage at 1368x768 ?

I'm using XP sp2 though.

ffdshow won't work with the nebula digitv app unfortunately.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would that be anamorphic 4:3?

The HS20 reports 1366x768 when I check the info menu. DVD's play fine as does Media Centre. Would you be good enough to copy your Powerstrip settings to the clipboard and then paste them here?

Does ffdshow work with Media Centre?

Thanks

Dave

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    will do once I get home.
    ffdshow works with a number of apps . I think it works with mediaplayer and most people on here use it in conjunction with theatertek or zoomplayer.

I'll have a look at my digitv settings too.

5. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I get a similar but different problem with the nebula card, when its run full screen it leaves a black gap at the bottom. I have to zoom the image in using the scroll wheel on the mouse then when its zoomed back out the gap disappears. Its strange and a pain in the ass but its the only way it will run "full screen".

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    PowerStrip timing parameters:
    1368x768=1368,56,56,304,768,1,11,23,80285,278

Generic timing details for 1368x768:
    HFP=56 HSW=56 HBP=304 kHz=45 VFP=1 VSW=11 VBP=23 Hz=56

Linux modeline parameters:
    "1368x768" 80.285 1368 1424 1480 1784 768 769 780 803 -hsync -vsync

There you go.

just installed the latest version of digiTV released today. No problems so far here are my settings.

Display : General: Anamorphic display ...unchecked.
    underscan 100%

thats about it.

I'm using a radeon 9800 pro can't remember the drivers offhand ...think its 4.12 never had a problem with digiTV on previous versions.

Also I run in a variety of resolutions and refresh rates 856x480 , 1280x768 as well as the 1368x768 one , again no problems with digiTV.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. There is obviously more to PS than I thought! Where do I find the Generic timing settings and the Linux modeline parameters?

I'm downloading DigiTV 3.2 now

Dave

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Just copy and paste the whole thing into powerstrip.

display profiles , configure , advanced timing , have the info copied to the clipboard (highlight it right click and select copy) then select the clipboard icon in powerstrip and it will input them without you having to manually enter the values.

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Keith, I'll give that a try tonight

Dave

10. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith, I have done as you suggested and I see the figures change to the settings I need but I don't seem to be able to save them. The "apply" remains greyed out.

When I OK out and then go back in again the numbers are as they were when I did the settings, ie: wrong!

Even after I have pasted the settings the screnn doesn't change. I still have the dark blue lines down the left and right sides. These parts of the screen can be used though. Either when I drag something from screen to screen or when I play a DVD full screen, that part of the desktop is utilised. And as I say, the HS20 reports the resolution as 1366x768.

Am I mising something simple?

Thanks

Dave

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    advanced timings , custom resolutions , user-defined , now use the paste button to enter the settings (having already copied them). Add new resolution. powerstrip will try to apply the new resolution to your card. Yu may then get a warning saying that you need to reset the computer for settings to take effect. It may just apply and ask if you want to select the resolution.

Once this is done depending on your driver you might be able to select the res from the desktop resolution setting in display settings failing that (856x480 is sticky on mine) you will be able to switch it in from powerstrip and it should then stick even if you reboot the machine, I use powerstrip to switch between 856x480 for the plasma , 1368x768 for the HS20 and 1280x768 at 60Hz for NTSC video. Powerstrip will enable you to create display profiles available from a drop down in the powerstrip menu or by creating shortcuts on the desktop. You can also create hotkeys to switch resolutions on the fly. For example I run the 856x480 on a plasma I select 1368x768 using a hotkey and then flip the display from the plasma being fed vga to the projector getting DVI and vice versa.

I'm running XP so you might have some issues with MCE...doubt it though. It might help to use the sony 900w driver for your projector in the display settings and uncheck hide resolutions this monitor does not support again in display settings.

12. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Keith for taking the time and trouble to respond.

I have followed your instructions to the letter and the 1368x768 is now available as a selection from desktop setting and ps. Sadly I still have the dark blue strips down the sides. These disappear when I select 1280x768 60Hz and return when I go back to 1368x768 @56Hz

The HS20 info shows it as No.51 1366x768 fH 45.07 and fV 56.09.

Where can I get the 900W driver you mentioned. A Google failed to find it anywhere

Dave

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Its in the monitor tab of you display settings . update driver and select choose rather than search , then click on the show all devices in this class button then select sony . The reason to use this driver is that the sony 900w monitor can effectively take any resolution under the sun so it will stop windows limiting what resolutions it thinks your display will support.

Failing this I can only assume its an MCE issue.

14. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it must be an MCE issue!

Tried that driver and I still get the blue strips down each side

I think I'll give up trying. They don't seem to affect anything when shown full screen.

Thanks again for all your effort!

I'm off to learn about ffdshow now!

Dave

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Are you using a secondary display in a dua display setup?
    Apparently MCE limits the width of the secondary display to the resolution of the primary so I've read.

16. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using two displays, yes. The primary display (No,1) is the pj. The secondary display is the primary desktop and that is a 17" TFT monitor that there is no driver for, so it's just defined as a Default Monitor in Device Manager.

When the PC boots, the boot up sequence/bios is shown on the pj. A little inconvenient when the pj is off!

Dave

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Try using the sony 900w driver for the TFT. Also try switching your display mechanism to switch between monitors rather than primary/secondary extended desktop. Have one display active only (the HS20 would be most relevant) and see if that solves the problem.

18. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the same driver for the TFT and still no joy.

I don't have a mechanism for selecting monitors - would Hydravision enable that? When I last looked at it, it seemed more designed for multiple desktops on the same monitor.

Or do I just make the pj the primary monitor?

Dave

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    You shoudn't need hydravision . There should be an option in your display controls to change the type of multi-monitor display. Initially try setting up as a single display with the HS20 as the primary. Don't extend the desktop use the switch between displays profile if this works.

You always get problems running two displays simultaneously at different resolutions. Some software works fine ... a lot doesn''t.

Again it may well be a foible of digiTV under MCE . I'm not entirely sure it supports MCE.

20. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Making the pj the primary monitor gets rid of the bars down each side :clap: :clap:

Thanks again for all your help!

Dave

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    sorted nice one.