1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nebula PCI or USB?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I've been considering getting a nebula TV card for PVR duties.
    Ordinarily I'd just bung a PCI version in my HTPC but I'm wondering if it would be more useful to have a USB version and share it amongst my 3 PCs (HTPC , serious use desktop and little laptop)

Any disadvantages with the USB version ( I don't need composite capture)?

Also how much oomph do you need to use the nebula? Ideally I'd like to be able to record on my HTPC and still be able to watch Theatertek or Dscaler or use winamp. I've got a 1.13 P3 (could buy a 1.4 though) with 512m and a radeon VE , Have I got enough poke to record in the background ( doubt it with Dscaler to be honest).

What are peoples experiences?

Any other suggestions? The PVR250 I hear mentioned a fair bit and it features hardware encoding I believe..

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Keith,

Can't comment on the USB, but I'm using the PCI version. Personally I would never use USB when PCI option is available - just find it a little too flakey.

As for oomph ... I can comfortably use TT whilst Nebula is recording - since all it's doing is dumping the digital stream to the HD is doesn't need much oomph for that. Using a 1.2Ghz Athlon, Nebula sucks 30-50% CPU for live TV, and under 10% when recording. No experience with DScaler to speak of.

HTH.

Cheers, Carl.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Thanks man much appreciated