1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nebula DigiTV playback crash - Respone from Nebula

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wyerd, Aug 13, 2004.

1. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    When I select a recorded program to playback from the GUI, DigiTV crashes. I mailed Nebula yesterday afternoon and have just received their response:-

Hi David,

We are sorry to learn that some files will not open using DigiTV. It has been brought to our attention recently that the latest versions of DigiTV have an indexing bug that crashes DigiTV when certain files are opened using the screen shots method (Programs at a Glance). Can you please therefore try opening the non converted file by navigating to Video Recorder (top bar of DigiTV) -> Play, and selecting the file. If DigiTV does not play the file this way please let us know.

We have a fix for the indexing problem and this will be released before the end of this month with the next free software update. We hope you can bear with us until then.

Best Regards

Support
    Nebula Electronics Ltd.

The recording plays using the work-around.

2. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Off topic a bit but I have the Nebula TV card installed. I don't use it as I've found it to be difficult to watch. Motion is quite unnatural.

Is there a newer version which is better? (My version is about a year old!)

Cheers Rob.

3. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've only been using Nebula for about 4 months so I can't really comment, but I expect that the software has progressed quite significantly in that last 12 months. The latest build is 3.114 with an update due on the 23/8. Go on, give it a try..... go on, go on, go on!!!

4. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    They introduced "Bob" deinterlacing, which helps with motion, but I'm not sure whic version exactly. I'd have thought the quality should be similar to most set-top boxes. The fact that it is digital media, and that some broadcasts are lower bitrate than others, has an effect (there's only so much bandwidth in the stream to accomodate detailed fast changing scenes) so analogue solutions may give better results, in some cases.

5. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jan 2004 v3.10 build 4 :-

Added the option to deinterlace using the 'Bob' algorithm. This greatly improves the quality of video when watching fast motion and doubles the image update rate.

6. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Instead of converting the Nebula file with the DVD tool you can get around the crash bug by adding the file to a playlist and then playing the playlist instead of playing the file.

It can be a playlist of just that file.

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    OK,

I have installed the new version, and video motion is much improved :smashin:

However it does seem to crash quite frequently. I don't know if its a weather related thing or not. Has anybody else had problems??

Cheers Rob.

8. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not bought one yet as I hear they don't like Silicon SATA drivers?? Anyone seen a problem with this( SATA is my primary HD)? Also, any idea when you can get the CAM for the TOPUP TV smart card??

Rich

9. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the same problem with SATA as the main drive. Its not Nebula but poor design of some MB's (my intel board is ok with SATA and Nebula but an Abit NF-7 with SATA caused problems).

Only option is to use the USB Nebula, switch back to IDE or swap MB's.