1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nebula DigiTV EPG a joke and other gripes

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by BBD, Sep 15, 2003.

1. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone else noticed that the EPG used by Nebula is a waste of space. The programmes are either titled "To be announced", incorrectly titled or have incorrect start and end times. I have tried to use it several times over the last week and had to resort to checking scheduling on Sky and manually setting the times.

Other gripes are:

I can't record reliably using silent mode-sys tray whilst runing DScaler (Recording stops without warning). I have a XP2200 and I would have thought that should be more than enough given that little processing is required to record and DScaler requires no hard drive access once running.

I have to set DScaler to the Nebula capture card before exiting and loading DigiTV otherwise I get a blank screen.

There still isn't a full list of wm_commands despite being promised with version 3 making girder control difficult.

To cap it off the Pause and record facilities have stopped working tonight for no apparent reason. I just get a short loop which can only be advanced by continually hitting play.

Nebula support is excellent I get prompt replies even over the weekend but I think still needs quite a lot more work before it can compete with a sky+ box.

:suicide:

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    My EPG has been pretty good for all the stuff that i've been recording, although the download for a few days (coming thursday - this time next week) has been failing.

I usually only use the card to record when i'm out, so haven't run Dscaler at the same time, although i've watched a few DVDs at the same time with no problems whatsoever. Are you using the onboard composite input through dscaler at the same time as wanting to record a live mpg stream?

The list of wm_commands is far from complete, although i have a fully working pronto CCF and girder control file i can e-mail to you, which uses a combination of wm_commands, and simple targetted keyboard commands, and works well for me.

Nebula support i agree is excellent, but i also think if you were paying them £10 a month for the priviledge of being able to record from an EPG, they'd be able to get the small bugs sorted more quickly too.

Sean

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I installed a digiTV over the weekend.
    I have no problems with the EPG.
    I have no problems recording in silent mode and collapsing to the sys tray.

I can run theatertek quite happily whilst recording.

I can switch between Dscaler and Digitv with no issues.
    If I run Dscaler whilst silently recording I get 2 dropped frames per second in Dscaler but I'm only running a P3 1.13.

4. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm really happy with my DigiTV card - it's amazing the difference upgrading my PC from 800MHz to 2.66GHz has made to the decoding - much less break up now, and the remote is very responsive.

5. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Keith - Interesting (and strange) about the 'no problems with the EPG'. Can you please confirm that the 7 day guide has been okay. The Now - Next info. is part of the tv feed data and I found this to be reliable. Can anybody else please provide some more feedback on this before I go back to Nebula.

Also when you switch between DScaler and DigiTV I guess you are also switching between capture cards? I using a Medion 5044 with the new Philips SAA7134 chipset with DScaler, what capture card are you using?

I glad to hear you can manage to record in silent mode whilst using DScaler. Now I know its just my setup hopefully I can find a fix. My problem is not dropped frames it just stops recording after a minute then restarts on a new file for about 10 minutes then stops completely.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Yep 7 day EPG seems fine. Downloaded on Saturday at any rate. Itself a miracle over my wireless LAN as its very patchy where the HTPC is. I'll fire it up later tonight and double check though. Had no problems recording Run Lola Run and I'd set the timer about 10 hours before it started.

Using an Xcapture with Dscaler but there is also a TV100 in the case that works fine also.

Recorded 3 hours worth the first night with no problems.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Just cleared my EPG cache and redownloaded it.

No problems full 7 days worth for each channel.

8. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers Keith - Just to make a mug of me I've just checked against sky and its okay tonight. Yesterday several listing were incorrect like "Trevor's World of sport" wasn't listed . The "To be announced" messages mainly related to films on C4 and C5 which were listed in the TV-Times and therefore not late changes. I'll post again when I see more anomalies.

Version 3.03 is due out tomorrow. This has some fixes for video overlay problems "we do feature some new overlay 'reclaim' code " and "support multi-monitor configurations " which I'm hoping will solve some of my problems. The recording whilst using DScaler issue is looking like a problem with my setup.

9. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Keith - Can you please check your 7 day epg. Looking at it now (Monday 22/9 at 5:30) I have:
    Coronation Street 20:30 - 23:00
    C4 22:00 'To be Announced'
    Lots of gaps around midnight all 5 channels.

Have you got the same?

Dennis

10. smear

smear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my DigiTV EPG is fine here, none of the gaps you mention.

I suggest you clear your EPG cache occasionally (there's a button for it in settings) to get the most up to date listings.

11. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks smear that worked. The 'To be announced' boxes were filled in after I cleared the cache and redownloaded the listing. I have DigiTV set to download the EPG each time its started. It appears not to be completely clearing the old data and replacing it with the new listing data despite reporting a successful download.

The gaps around midnight are down to me not reading the guide properly. I use the video overlay screen to view the listing. I thought that scrolling right across midnight would move to the next days listing like sky. It actually wraps back to the start of todays listings! This is not very logical to me.