1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nebula DigiTV Card - Basic Questions:

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tempest, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Have read many good thing about this card but would like just a few simple? questions clearing up:

1: I assume this card feeds the image over the PCI bus and onto your windows desktop ?
    Can you make this full screen so you don't see any windows graphics on screen, just TV ?

2: Im driving a Pannie 200 via my PC in a custom screen mode from my Radeon card (the 1:1 pixel matching mode) will this be a problem, or will I have to run the DigiTV in a normal ? mode ?

3: What happens about the sound ? On my SBLive 1024 I can click digital output only which feeds the PC sound out the spdif socket towards my surround sound. do I assume the DigiTV sound will also go via this route ?

4: Can I get great image and sound quality with this card, via a HTPC and onto a LCD projector ?

5: Any recommendations where to buy ?

Many thanks to any advice.

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    It runs in it's own window, or runs in fullscreen mode, as desired. It doesn't replace your desktop. It does use the PCI bus.

It supports both widescreen, and traditional 4:3 formats. It also supports anamorphic displays (ie. widescreen displays with 4:3 resolutions like 1024x768, or 640x480).

I have had problems with some customised resolutions (which are neither 4:3 nor 16:9). In other words, if your pixels aren't square, you could have a problem. Basically, it failed to fill the entire screen when I tried 1440x540 on a 16:9 screen.

Correct.

Yes. Smashing! Especially with the new software and the "bob" deinterlace mode. The quality is good because it is digital from end-to-end (esp. if you have a DVI connection, although VGA is fine too).

I'd recommend ordering direct from their site:http://www.nebula-electronics.com/

ps. I am not connected with them in any way - just a happy customer.

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Thank's for the advice.

This all sound really excellent. I've had old style TV cards in the past but to be honest they've all been pretty much crap.

These new digital cards sound worth getting.
    I'm not planning on watching much TV on my 7foot screen but for the money, hey why not have the option. They do put some good films on tv sometimes I may not have on dvd yet.

I looked around but it's starting to look like most retailers don't stock it anyway. wondering if it's only availiable from the official site anyway

Cheers

4. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I should say that some people prefer the analogue cards (using digital sources and the Dscaler software), to the Nebula card, for general TV viewing, because of the advanced de-interlacing. My advice is to try both - because the analogue card is only about £30 (try a PB TV-100) from PCWorld.

The only real complaint is that the Nebula can seem jerky, and may seem soft. I think the newest beta software from Nebula improves on this front.

On a 7ft screen you will notice any imperfections, but to my eye, on my tiny 55" High Def TV, the nebula matches (surpasses?) DVD quality, especially on high bit rate broadcasts.

Plus, with the Nebula, there are the advantages of time-shifting, integrated TV guide, digital radio, digital recording, etc.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    DigiTV has always been a bit sharper than an analogue Dscaler solution ( compared to a falcon, Xcapture and sweetspot).

The "bob" deinterlace is an improvement most of the time over the average option. You should use "none" for most film based material as it will do a simple weave.

I don't get any jerkiness with the latest software.

I have a couple of issues with the latest software but nothing major.

6. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Thanks for your replies on this one.
    Looks like I shall be ordering one of these babies from their home site later tonight. Sounds like the best there is right now.

Be a gamble to see If I get a picture :)

Freeview is availiable in our area, and I do have a arial about 3x larger then is needed for where we live, but not sure if size is everything, bu the right TYPE is also what's needed.

Guess I'll just have to Suck it and see... (like i tell the girlfriend!)

7. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I regularly watch Nebula DigiTv projected on 7' screen. It is without any doubt the best picture quality that I ever had from a broadcast source.

Since about a month ago I moved the card to the server machine and installed DigiTV as NT service that streams the programees over LAN. Any PC within the house can log into this strteam and watch TV. VERY COOL.

8. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Thanks Branxx for that.

Made my mind up, gonna order one right now :)

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Be interested in knowing if anyone gets the same niggles as me.

The "full screen" tick box in the settings doesn't stay enabled if you exit and restart digiTV. I want it to start in full screen as my default. I'm sure an earlier version worked fine.

If digiTV is in the systray often I can't double click the mouse.

My remote doesn't work too well ( using with a marantx RC2000 cloning the one that came with the card: the original remote exhibits the same behaviour). This might be the sensor being damaged but again it worked flawlessly on the previous versions.

Apart from that its great and I fully intend to buy another for twin tuner duties.

10. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So that's what's causing it! Cheers for that, I've been trying to track that issue down for a bit. Only happens on one box not on the other but it is very annoying.

The nebula card is very good, much better reception that my old freeview box and miles better than the nova-t, my only gripe is that there is no directshow support yet as the deinterlacing is a little basic and I'd like to add in some DScaler routines or even use the Radeon's own methods.

John

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Thing is though I'm sure they said in an earlier release they had implimented a fix for this but I never had this problem when it still used SVC .

Like the "L" toggle for the deinterlacing methods ?

That were me that were!

One very good yet never mentioned aspect of using DigiTV is you get perfect aspect ratio autoselection ( although I haven't seen anything letterboxed on freeview for a while!)

12. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Well, I'm still glad I ordered it.... a few niggles it seems but the overriding comments seem to still be a BIG thumbs up.
    They sending my card out tomorrow, so come the weekend I may be able to test it. Or at least see if my Arial is up to the job.
    I'm guessing it will be though.

13. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I've just discovered that the Nebula's logo removal settings are remembered for each channel individually. That's brilliant!

It's a shame that logo removal doesn't apply to recordings - but hey-ho.

14. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I have just bought one of these cards and think i may have bought the wrong card!!, can these cards be used to connect to a cable or satellite box?? i have a telewest box basically all i want to do is capture the telewest signal better than my analogue card

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    The Nebula is a freeview digital tuner .
    It does have a composite capture stage on it though.

What you are after is a good analogue capture card.

16. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi spacecat

As Mr D says you need a good quality capture card. Presumably you are using either composite capture (very poor), or SVideo (good) from your set top box.
    If you want to get the best quality out of it, then you need to capture the best analogue signal that the set top box is able to produce. This will almost certainly be RGB.

We have a product that will do RGB capture (www.pluggedin.tv/sweetspot) , or you can go for the really high end option such as the Immersive Holo cards with the RGB input option.

hope this helps!

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Dave I thought the sweetspot didn't support actual capture to HD at the moment?
    It would be good if it did as I'm about to edit my showreel together.

18. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Mr D
    You're correct, it doesnt, but I dont *think* that is what spacecat wanted to do..but I could be mistaken.
    cheers

19. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Actually im not doing to badly with my ATI AIW 8500DV via RF input.I am using my PC as a PVR via Show Shifter and it all works well and the picture is pretty good actually, i just wanted to know if could be better. Is the Svideo connection better than the RF??
    I have not tried svideo yet

20. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Just like to add that if you have the double click problem, forcing a refresh on the desktop seems to stop it.