1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nebula DigiTv and Dscaler Question?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Markatlarks, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As a complete newbie can someone help?

I have just installed the Nebula DigiTv (Which is fantastic) but I am confused as to how I can manage to get to view and record Sky Movies / Sport etc.

I am taking a feed from the back of the Sky box which has Satelite and Terrestial aerials fed into it.

Am I seeking the impossible? How can I achieve this combination - Do I have to get a seperate analogue TV card?

Also a Dscaler question. Can you get Dscaler and the Nebula card to work together - and if so how does one go about achieving this?

2. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I recall, dscaler will see the composite input so if you use the nebula as a capture card, all ok, however AFAIK, dscaler can not see the nebula card ie when showing digitv.

If your sky box has svidoe then I'd definately go for the phillips SA7**** card and use the set up guide.

Hope this helps.

3. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I emailed Nebula over the week-end and this is their very fulsome response. I thought I would share it with the forum as I am sure I am not the only person who asked this question.

Should this be moved to the TV side of the forum?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your e-mail and I am sorry to hear that you are having a few problems when using our DigiTV product. As such lets see if we can resolve them together.

Firstly it is important to realise that the tuner which is built in to our DigiTV devices is a digital tuner and not an analogue one. It supports the decoding of DVB-T terrestrial transmissions (like the Freeview ones in the UK) but therefore can't understand any analogue ones. Therefore if you plug in an aerial feed from your Sky box which contains an RF modulated analogue output then our tuner won't be able to make use of it. As such you won't be able to tune in to Sky Movies/Sport, etc using our digital side but you will be able to using our analogue side.

If you have the PCI version (which I truly hope you do, as the USB version doesn't have analogue video viewing/capture support, thus meaning you would need to return it to us for a refund or exchange if you want this feature) then you can take a split scart output from your Sky box (you'll need to buy a lead that has a scart at one end, and many composite connections at the other - normally available at Dixons, Curry's, Comet, etc) and plug the composite video out and plug it in to our yellow connector on the back of the card. You will also need to combine the left and right audio outputs (you'll find these amongst the many split connections you will get at the other end of the scart lead) to produce a stereo jack connector (like the one you find on the end of a pair of headphones) which you can plug in to the line in on your soundcard. Once you have made these connections, please bring up your volume control and ensure that the line in is set to unmuted. If it doesn't appear in the slider list, please go to options, properties and then select line in option in the list so that it will then appear. Please also set the audio recording source to be the line in by bringing up the volume control again, going to options-> properties, and then set it to Recording. In the new slider list, please ensure that the select option is set under the line in slider.

Once all of the above has been done, you should find that if you turn on Sky, then you will receive the audio through your computer's speakers. If you then also bring up our DigiTV application, and then go to AUX mode (video/audio in mode), then you should be able to see the picture aswell. To capture from this feed, you will need to go in to settings and then specify a default analogue record location, as well as a resolution, frame rate and audio rate. You will then just need to hit the 'R' key and thus you will be able to record the incoming stream. One word of warning though, is that our analogue capture side is still very much a 'work in progress' and thus it produces very large files in the uncompressed AVI format. We are working to add in full analogue capture support, whereby you will be able to make use of any available codecs, as well as recording to MPEG 2 format, but these features are still in development. As such, please ensure that you have lots of hard drive space left before you start to experiment with these options (however you can still use other third party applications like AVI_IO, VirtualDub, NanDub, etc to gain these features now so please feel free to experiment with these also).

Regarding your question about DScaler, I am happy to say that our analogue side does indeed work well with this program. If you select the Connexant BT8788 chip set from it's option lists, you should find that you obtain a good picture. If you have any problems with setting up this program with our card, please refer to DScaler's help first, and then if needed drop us a line. As far as I remember it is very easy to install and thus hopefully you won't have any problems.

Thanks again for your e-mail and if you have any other questions or comments please feel free to e-mail us again,

Kind Regards,

Andrew Saunders
    Nebula Electronics Ltd.

4. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nebula are the tops for customer service, and it will be excellent if they do produce an MPEG2 encoder in future releases.

I use a Vidac VMagic card for Sky/VHS capture from http://www.vidac.de/ This is a hardware encoder, so does it in real time. You can choose the quality and MPEG1 / 2 and adjust the incoming audio (Stereo analogue) and use it with time-shift, so you can watch the file as it is recording. The resulting files are ready for creating VCD / SVCD / DVD without encoding, and you can use the hardware encoder to convert eg ripped DVD .VOB files direct to VCD in less than real-time.