1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nebula card - watching while recording?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SimonInd, Jan 7, 2004.

1. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've recently installed and started using the Nebula freeview card and it's software. One question I have concerns watching a recording while recording something else. I assume it's possible as you can pause live TV, however when I tried one recording it was very jerky ( frames being dropped? ). Another file appeared fine. I was watching the files using PowerDVD ( the files were associated with this ). Is there a trick to this? should I be using a different software player? My PC is a P4 2.6GHz w/512MB RAM, 120GB HD and a 833MHz system bus.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Not sure if this helps but the recording made are not played well on PoverDvd etc. They play fine on the builtin player.

There is a program some use to 'correct' the files and they then play fine. It's called something like pvaportmentio, I'm at work so I don't have the links to hand.

Steve

3. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks StevieDvd, do you know if there's any way of using the built in player while the application is recording?

I'll try PVAStrumento ( I think this is what you mean? ) to correct the errors in a recording and then test the watching/recording thing again tonight.

Thanks

Simon

4. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tried it last night and worked fine, however the picture quality, epecially motion, was worse when playing the corrected file through PowerDVD than the uncorrected file through the Nebula media player. I noticed this on The Simpsons, probably because motion, colour etc. is more extreme.

The deinterlacing mode was Bob ( same as the Nebula ), is there anything else I need to be doing or is this just a side-effect of the process? I assumed the picture and sound quality would be identical?

Thanks

Simon

5. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    On the files I've converted in the past the quality was fine. I'll check my settings and get back to you.