1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nebula card and graphics cards

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by philipb, Jul 8, 2003.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    As a matter of interest, those of you with nebula digitv cards, what graphics card are you using, and have you had any picture break up problems with the digitv card?

Won't say why I'm asking till i get some responses so as not to influence your replies. All will be revealed eventually.

2. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yes, funnily enough I contacted Nebula about this just yesterday and they were most helpful and cured my problems.

I have an Athlon 2400+ based HTPC with 1Gb Ram and a Radeon 9500 128Mb AGP Graphics Card.

I had missing frames and lock up to the extent that it just wasn't watchable. They Emailed me a potential solution that turned out to be the cure.

I'm sure they won't mind me posting from their email here, though please read carefully before deciding whether to follow these.
    Quoted from an email sent to me yesterday

I hope this helps any problems you may be having, these Nebula guys offer fabulous support on their products.

Mark.

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    No problems here, although the solution Mark has suggested has been tried many times and worked successfully.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks guys.

I read on another forum that the 9000 series cards are very noisy and capture cards should be placed as far away from them as possible. So i wondered if people who have had no problems with the nebula were using other cards. Seaneyc's post seems to blow that theory out of the water.

The guys at Nebula haven't offered me the ACPI solution, but they have sent me repalcement cards, and a USB box is on its way. At this rate I'll soon be a stockist for them.

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Oddly enough, i only have 3 PCI slots on my motherboard, the Nebula card is in the slot right next to my Radeon 9000........

When you say picture break up, do you mean actual blocking? Or just a picture that looks like it's dropping frames? Mine occasionally looks like it's dropping a frame on long pans, but other than that, looks much better than a feed from my IDTV. If the picture is pixelating and blocking i guess it could be an aerial issue.

6. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Nebula card and Sapphire 9000 graphics card. I have problems with jerky pans(dropping frames). I have tried the ACPI fix which has improved it but not fixed it. As people have mentioned in other posts I get better (acceptable) results playing back Nebula recorded files using a different player in my case PowerDVD. This makes me think that the Nebula software still needs a bit more refinement. Its frustrating because I have a smooth picture via Sky box and DScaler but the picture quality via my BT capture card is not as good as Nebula. I currently use Nebula for recording and Sky/DScaler for live veiwing. At least this gives me the option of recording one channel whilst watching another.
    I plan to upgrade my TV capture card to the latest Philips unit (Aldi deal) but I don't think I'll have the perfect solution until the Sdi Sky box mod is available.

7. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Good tip. I hadn't thought of doing that.

I am using a Geforce 2 GTS AGP. I could imagine that with a PCI graphics card it may perhaps compete for bus bandwidth - but I am just guessing - this can be a problem for Dscaler usage, apparently.

But anyway, I get some "blocking" - especially during capture. Sometimes it is so bad that the player seems to freeze up on playback. I get some jerky pans and motion too - but it is tolerable. The agp card is a fair distance from the nebula, and I suspect that any break-up is probably more due to drive activity - the theory being that a mechanical hard drive is perhaps more likely to cause intermittent interference, than say a graphics card, which is solid state and in continual use. But I'm just speculating, obviously.

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I have the jerky pans, and like most the ACPI fix reduced it but did not solve it.

My main problem has been blocking and sometimes freezing. The Nebula guys think its a signal thing, although set top boxes like the Nokia have never been a problem.

I now have the Nebula as far away as possible from the AGP slot and at the moment its working well and PQ is top notch. When this card works at its best, PQ on a Pio 433MXE via DVI is really excellent.

The new software due for release on Monday looks to be a big step forward.

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Haven't noticed the pan problem but I bet I do now I know it's potetially there! :rolleyes:

I somethime have problems with the software hanging up. I have a week signal, though it's fine through my Nokia DTT box into the living room. I've had this problem since doing the ACPI fix. I love the way the Nebula software doesn't need to be running for it to startup up & record your chosen programs. Yesterday I went into my HT room to find the software had crashed, though it had completed recordingthe chosen program first.

I'm using a 10ft wide screen and the PQ is fabulous, even on recorded programs:) Generally very happy with the card and the support, however I'm looking forward to it becoming a little more stable in the future, the crashed do get on my nerves.

I'm impatiently waiting for this.

Things I'd like to see:-

A little system tray scheduler so I know it's waiting to record

A better interface for the recorded programs player, the current one is fiddly & awkward.

Ability to choose saved program format & bit rate to make output more compatible with editing S/W

A more intuitive EPG & better laid out EPG interface.

Can't wait to see what we get :D

Mark.

Oh yes, anyone know if a Sky card is on the way anytime soon?

10. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Reply to the very same question asked of Tech Support:

The card will be able to access all of the free-to-air digital channels currently broadcasting across a range of satellites including Hotbird and Eutelsat. Its worth noting that SKY only control the Astra satellites. There are many more satellites broadcasting content in a range of languages whose footprint covers both the UK and Europe. We are currently investigating the use of a CAM for the European MediaCrypt system.

The timescales are only approximate right now, but we hope to have the card available by early next year if the market research indicates that there is the demand.

Best Regards

Support
    Nebula Electronics Ltd.

Steve

11. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    As i see it, the card just rips the TS stream out of the DVB multiplex, and dumps it onto the hard drive, or alternatively, rips the whole multiplex onto the HD (not tried due to lack of space!) So to change the program format on the fly would require some monster CPU, and possibly some licensing of other codecs? I agree it would be nice to have this, but PVAstrumento seems to work good for most people.

I can't wait for version 3! :D

12. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also been in Contact w. Nebula for the forthcoming Sat card.
    They eventually confirmed that Sky decryption will most likely (if definitely) NOT be possible...
    and to be available early next year.

I couldn't wait, so I bought the PINNACLE PCTV Sat
    also has LNB in / out (pass thru) and a Cn878 chip with S-vid input so can try it as the main capture card

Will post more as soon as the new HCPC is up and running

Steve