1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearly there ...... should I wory about lip sync ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tij303, Jan 4, 2005.

1. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right, Ive ordered my PW6, wall bracket and scart/component boards from AV Sales. Ive set up my Mission speakers, bought my DV575 and got my wifi media to work. Was about to order my Denon 1905 when I read about lip sync problems etc. with a pw 6. Having spoken to AV sales again I was assured that the problem is not that pronounced - mainly on sky news.

However I have now seen that Yamaha amps (i.e the DSP AX 750) have a number of features above Denons of a comparable price range (around £350) such as video upscaling from composite to component (about the only way I will get my media receiver to work) and audio delay. In a nutshell the ax 750 seems the logical option but I wondered if people have found the problem that bad and whether or not the in built up conversion is a particularly rare feature (albeit about the only affordable way I will ever get my bloody media reciever to display on a pw6). In fact are there any comparably priced amps that offer the same features as the yamaha ?

Apologies if this is a double edged question - I couldnt decide which forum to put it in. Im so close and yet so far to getting the system set up - before I tell some more porkies about the price of the amp to my wife I would appreciate some advice on the above issues ... :thumbsup:

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Some people notice lip sync errors (most in my experience) some seem not to, even if it is miles out. I don't agree with AV Sales, audio is consistently ahead of video (something you never experience in real life) on all DVDs, and all Sky programming. The amount of delay needed to correct lip sync errors varies not only according to the channel being watched but even between programmes on the same channel and usually ranges betwenn 60 ms and 120ms (and can be even more if you a running through a video processor).

The denon 3803 was the first "affordable" receiver with adjustable global audio delay and having been replaced with the 3805 there are still some 3803s out there at bargain prices (and it does video up-conversion).

Piers

www.homecinemaengineering.com

3. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Piers thanks for the prompt reply - in view of the difficulties I am having in connecting my wifi kit and the fact that I am pretty sure I will notice the delay I will regretfully abandon my choice of denon 1905. Ill have a look for the 3803 though as it might be the answer - is it still superior kit when compared to more recent stuff such as the dsp ax750 ? :thumbsup: