• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nearly there, just need a push!

ch4mbo

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so be kind! The forum was recommended to be by a friend who said that, in his opinion, you guys know your stuff!!

So that's the buttering up done, I started out a couple of weeks ago looking for a new TV. And the more I looked the more confused I felt. And not being into all the jargon didn't help either. 50, 100 or 200 Hz. 24p then there's light beeding, good and bad blacks????

The best advise I got was from a post on this forum which said "go and have a look and see which one's catch your eye" so I did, off to Richer Sounds in Leicester I went and I liked the look of this 47" Philips something or other. Didn't take a note of the model as it was £2500 (expensive taste)

But my eye has been drawn to a Plasma ( I currently have an LG 37" LP1D? LCD) which although only a 37" screen it's a big unit overall! Anyway, having seen this plasma and the detail in the background of the picture I was impressed.

My usage will be Blueray Dvd (Matrix, band of brothers all that stuff) And Sky HD for sport, Nature etc..etc..
My two boys will no doubt fight over who's playing COD 6 on it! so ability to handle a PS3 is a must!!

I sit around 11/ 12 feet away, we have a small panasonic surround sound system, Window into the room is behind the Tv and will be blinded off when movies are on ( I like the dark) My Budget is upto £1000

Richer Sounds have the 46" G15 and the 50" G10 for sale at £899 which i'm no expert but looks a decent price. So i'm drawn to either of these models and I would appreciate it if anyone has an opinion on which to go for or if there are any other models you think I should consider!

Plasma, LCD or LED or ABC I'm not fussed. Would just like a cracking set for my boys to enjoy gaming (and me, but i'm not very good) and the wife to enjoy got to dance or something!!

Any help given is appreciated, and I wish you all a belated "Happy New Year"!!:hiya:

Graham (sorry to have waffled on!)

Last edited:

ch4mbo

Standard Member
I appreciate all the feedback..

I'm sure if I had more patience some kind soul would of responded. Never mind I plumped for the 46" G15 Got a good deal (I think) and first impressions are excellent. The fella at Richer Sounds it could take a couple of days and some tweaking to get the best picture, yet within 10 mins and no tweaking it's already impressive.

So if anyone is thinking about one of these, just do it!!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom