1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nearly ready to buy - final general questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Spaniard, Jun 3, 2001.

1. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi guys,

Well, judging by the initial reviews on the new Sanyo widescreen projector and the fact that it suits my installation requirements re lens throw exactly it looks like I may have to soon spend some money! Before I do however I have a couple of general questions that may seem a little ignorant and stupid but here goes....

Is the image for a projector of the same quality across the full range of its throw capacity or is it better in the middle and worst at extremes. i.e. the new sanyo is capable of giving me a 6ft wide picture with the projector being situated anywhere between 9ft and 12 ft from the screen. would the picture quality be best fron about 10ft 6ins or doesnt it matter where you have the projector.

Does the picture quality deteriorate the bigger the picture you wish to produce? i.e. I only have enough room to accomodate a 6ft wide picture but am consoling myself with the perhaps incorrect view that at least the quality of the picture(sharpness,clarity,pixellation,etc)will be better than if I wanted and had the room to generate a much bigger picture. Is this correct or am I a blithering idiot?

Take it easy if I am as I still want to buy a projector and the wife may be reading your replies over my shoulder!!

Many thanks

The Spaniard

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Are you not going to wait until the new Sony has been released? :)

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The Spaniard,
    A zoom lens will usually perform best when set to give the longest throw. This is because the glass or acrylic of the lens is more accurate through its centre rather than the outside edges.

There's a big debate about picture size. Some prefer the biggest image possible, others (myself included) go the quality route.

It's all relative to seating distance. 6ft wide should give good results when you sit somewhere between 10 and 12ft from the screen. Sitting further back would improve the image even more, but you'll lose the impact of a big screen.

Good luck

4. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    thanks Guys, from what you have said it seems that my particular needs are not too far away from getting the best I can from a projector give the limitations on screen size and throw distance. The problem I have with the new Sony is that the lens throw requires me to have the projector about 9ft away from my screen to get a 6ft wide picture and this puts it in view on the ceiling. I have created a built in unit above my head when in the main viewing position and the lens would be about 11ft and a few inches away from the screen. The Sonys picture from this distance would be too big to fit in the space I have for a screen. The Sanyo would work but the latest reviews on the american forums are starting to suggest all is not perfect.... purple haze, loss of image, dust problems,etc. I have been waiting for a projector for about 10 months and am now ready to do myself in!! Can anyone suggest anything other than a rusty blade? How about the new seleco 250? does it meet my throw requirements and has the problem with zippy and bungle been resolved? Any other suggestions gratefully received including forget it and get yourself a new hobby!!!!!

Regards

The Spaniard :(

5. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Spaniard:

Welcome to the club, mate! ;)

I've also been saving up for a new projector, but I can't quite figure which one will make me a happy man!
    If it's the 10HT there's poor blacks, dead pixels and dust problems. The 'new hope' PLV60, also has dust problems and some glitches acording to what has been reported on the web; the Seleco's are expensive, do not have dust problems but, have a relative low resolution comparing to the Sony (although less aperture ratio) and suffer from the dreaded rainbow effect. So which one ? :confused: .

I dont know what issues were adressed with the new 11HT but high expectations usually lead to disapointment.

There isn't and there will never be a perfect projector, but as long as the purchase is made having in mind the projector's shortcomings, long hours of pure enjoyment awaits :) .

I still have lot's of fun whenever I turn on my Sharp LCD projector that has < VGA resolution, 60 (!!) Ansi Lumens, S-Video as the best input and no zoom. Hell, sometimes is almost difficult to tell the dust from the pixels!! (just kidding!) :D

There's absolutely nothing like a big picture!

Best of luck, and please tell us your decisions!

NS

6. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi

Another one of those problem room's
    11' projector to screen on the HT200/250 will give about 57" wide 16:9 screen. The 250 is a superb projector but I am prone to the rainbow effect and see it on the unit.
    The new HT200DM has a 6 segment colour wheel and it shows no sign of the Rainbow flashes, and also has 848 x 480 resolution for DVD.
    It doesnt sound like much resolution but on the size screen you are using it should be OK.
    Until the HT250DM arrives :D or the next generation of 16:9 native DLP's start apearing the 200DM is my choice.

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I'm quite glad that I'm going to have to wait until next year (no money :( ). There is no way I could decide at the moment. The new Yammy looks very nice.

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: Jeff ]

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    >Are you not going to wait until the new Sony has been released?

> Welcome to the club, mate!

>...I'm going to have to wait until next year...There is no way I could decide at the moment.

Spaniard,
    I see people in the same position year after year.

A new product comes on the scene that seems great, but just over the horizon there might be a product that's even better. Of course, when the new product arrives the situation repeats and if you just wait a little longer...

Nuno Santos gives the best advice in this situation:
    "There isn't and there will never be a perfect projector, but as long as the purchase is made having in mind the projector's shortcomings, long hours of pure enjoyment awaits"

Find a good dealer (someone who you're prepaired to buy from if you like what you see) and go audition a few of the top choices in your budget. There are some good dealers close to where you live, so this should be easy.

If possible, look at something from the next higher price band. At least you'll know whether the money you intend to spend is enough to satisfy your needs.

Regards

9. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for the advice and kind words...I'll just take the knots out of the rope! I am off on holiday on Saturday for two weeks in the sunshine so I will catch up on all the new releases(!!!!)when I get back!

Cheers

The Spaniard :)