1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearly ready for new speakers :thumbsup:

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JUS, May 24, 2004.

1. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    With kitchen, garden and rest of the house coming together my thoughts are returning to my AV set-up. :clap:

I plan to get some new speakers soon'ish :cool: I would like to get a shortlist of two or three manufacturers. Can you people please help me narrow down the list. :lease:

I'm willing to spend £2k. I would be willing to spend a little more for something special i.e. £2k on 5 and more for the sub.

Spec: Must be good for film and music. 5.1 set-up. I would prefer a satellite system although I'm not convinced I'll find one that's good at playing music. No point getting floor standers for rears as they will be directly behind the sofa. I don't want black ash or anything to weird looking (IMO:Blue pods)

I'm pretty sure I'll go for a velo spl800 or 1000 sub as they are pretty small. I'd love a SVS but just don't have the room. Might go for a rocket if someone takes the plunge and convinces me :)

Here's my list so far:

JAMO D4
    LINN CLASSIK KAN(?)
    Antony Gallo A'diva for fronts&rears + Due for centre
    B&W -
    Front Speakers : Model DM604 S3 x 2
    Centre Speaker: Model LCR600 S3 350
    Rear Speakers: Model DM604 S3 400 x 2
    M&K - 750/850 (not sure of the price?)
    Martin Logan - Not sure of the price. They look nice :)
    Ruark ??
    Mirage??
    Kef - Coda, cresta, Q7? Not sure on price

Can anyone help? Any rough prices, other suggestions or just a plain 'no those speakers are naff' are welcome...as long as you have actually listened to them :D

Jus.

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    personally i was impressed by the kef Q series but wouldn't be held in to the pre made packages that are going around.
    Q4,Q6C,Q-compact and the matching sub would be well under budget and would be an excellent pack.
    But the best two options I'd give would be:
    Ruark Prelude, dialogue, epilogue, logarythm - about £2700
    Castle Harlech, Bastion, Richmond, Sub - about £3000 (Sub is about £950 though)
    I know the suggestions are at the two extremes but I do like them.

3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I would like to recommend the PMC GB1's.....
    Haveing owned the B&W602's/601's and found them a bit flat for me.
    Then owned the M&K S85's which were brill.
    Then had a listern to Dynaudio 52/62 which were to similar to B&W.
    Then tryed Whalfdale Evo30's....nearly there.
    Then the Spendor S6's....sounded similar to the Dynaudio's/B&W IMO ( may of sounded better with a better amp).
    Then Quad 21L's....more there than the Evo30's.
    Then had a listern to the GB1's.

I like a lot of top end in my music (treble) and like to hear the voice, but i do like the background low end as well.
    The M&K S85's are very good for music (IMO)but have not got a lot of low end.
    The GB1's are more forward than the S85's (which i like) and have a LOT of low end.
    Absolutely brilliant on the end of Arcam gear........not sure how they would sound with anything else, as i demoed them with the Arcam, as that is what i own.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As music is an important part of your listening, try and grab a demo of Pro-Ac, Spendor, Dynaudio and Totem speakers as well as the PMC and M&K already mentioned as these were the brands that interested us the most at this year's Bristol show.

5. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Thanks everyone. :) My list seems to be changing shape but not size :D

HC is my main hobby so I'm willing to stretch if I need to.

Cool. After a quick search Audio T seem to do all of those speakers!!! (m&k, Proac, spendor, totem, ruark, kef, dynaudio )

I currently have: Denon3803 & Pio565 (my intention is to upgrade the pio when blue ray shows itself :D humm...I'm not spending too much on speakers considering my amp, am I :confused:

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The relative cost of each component is always going to be debatable. I wouldn't spend any more than your current budget on speakers if you are keeping the amp but if you buy the right set now there will be no need to upgrade again unless you win the lottery.

7. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Thanks Ian. Most helpful...as ever.