Nearly half way there...

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
In July of last year I wrote my first BLOG here to list my favourite films.

I update it periodically to indicate when I've acquired the film on Blu-ray Disc, or when one has been announced or released:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blogs/pecker-51915/492-my-favourite-films.html

I've just updated it again, and have noticed that, out of the 75 films listed, 37 are out on Blu-ray Disc (or were out on HD DVD), with 38 as yet not released or announced. In other words, one more and over half of my favourite films are out or announced in high def.

:thumbsup:

To be fair, it's probably already more than 50%. Since I first compiled the list I think I've mentally added a few films I've recently watched or re-watched, almost all of these on Blu-ray Disc.

So, for anyone who says there are no good films on Blu-ray Disc...

Steve W

ps. If anyonre has any news on the 'missing 38', please let me know. They are:

As Good As It Gets
Das Boot (The Boat)
Brazil
Broken Flowers
C'era una Volta il West (Once Upon a Time in the West)
Crimes and Misdemeanours
Cyrano de Bergerac
(1990)
Dead of Night (1945)
Dead Poets Society
Double Indemnity
Fail-Safe
(1964)
Fury (1936)
Gun Crazy (a.k.a. Deadly is the Female) (1950)
Key Largo
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Manhattan
A Matter of Life and Death
Melody
(a.k.a. S.W.A.L.K.)
Mona Lisa
Night of the Hunter
Profondo Rosso (Deep Red)
Rollerball
(1975)
Rushmore
Separate Tables
Se7en
Strangers on a Train
Suspiria
The Swimmer
Swimming Pool
Tales from the Crypt…
…Asylum…
…Vault of Horror
Twelve Angry Men
Vertigo
La Vita è Bella (Life Is Beautiful)
Wait Until Dark
Witness
Z

Cheers.

SW

Last edited:
Steve, After viewing your list it is apparent that you are a man of discerning taste when it comes to Cinema and I applaud you for not including Transformers on your List :smashin:

Steve, After viewing your list it is apparent that you are a man of discerning taste when it comes to Cinema and I applaud you for not including Transformers on your List :smashin:

:rotfl:

Compiling the list was a real joy in itself - everyone should have a go.

Steve W

No, that's on the 'missing' list.

Steve W

Oh I see :)lesson: to self for not reading the thread properly) -- was getting excited there :D

Great thread by the way :thumbsup:

Best
(HitmanKelly)

I watched Strangers On A Train only last night, followed by The Wrong Man. I'm in a Hitchcock mood after reading the thread on North By Northwest.

In fact I was wondering what happened to Robert Walker, who played the psychopath Bruno Anthony quite brilliantly in the film, that I went to IMDB and was quite upset to find out:

Robert Walker (I) - Biography

Sorry to be a bit OT but your list of favourites is very similar to mine.

Se7en is out in Canada. I believe it's been cropped to 1.78 though. :confused:

Richfell's link has the correct oar listed.:thumbsup:

The Dutch Blu-Ray release of Seven is superb, no extras but any extras I'd want are already on the earlier 2 disc DVD set.

The 1950 Gun Crazy is a fantastic movie which had a very good DVD release, I much prefer this movie to Bonnie & Clyde which it resembles, agree it needs to be released on Blu-Ray (along with Detour my favourite black as pitch "noir").

Last edited:
Se7en is out in Canada. I believe it's been cropped to 1.78 though. :confused:

Richfell's link has the correct oar listed.:thumbsup:

There are 2 or 3 on the list that are available 'from elsewhere' - Pulp Fiction is another.

The Dutch Blu-Ray release of Seven is superb, no extras but any extras I'd want are already on the earlier 2 disc DVD set.

The 1950 Gun Crazy is a fantastic movie which had a very good DVD release, I much prefer this movie to Bonnie & Clyde which it resembles, agree it needs to be released on Blu-Ray (along with Detour my favourite black as pitch "noir").

We have an A4 clip-framed poster of Gun Crazy at the top of the lower stairs. Every morning I carry Freya (aged 2) down to breakfast - I point at the poster and ask her "Gun Crazy, what do they do in that film?" and Freya says "Bang bang!", and makes a pointy-pistol shape with her hands/index fingers (we also have a poster of A Matter of Life and Death up on the opposite wall. Every morning I ask which is the best film in the world, and she points to it :smashin: ).

The US DVD of Gun Crazy from the Film Noir Classics Collection contains a fantastic commentary.

:thumbsup:

Steve W

What, no 'Big Momma's House' or 'Meet The Spartans' in your top films list?

You've let yourself down there..:D

I watched Strangers On A Train only last night, followed by The Wrong Man. I'm in a Hitchcock mood after reading the thread on North By Northwest.

In fact I was wondering what happened to Robert Walker, who played the psychopath Bruno Anthony quite brilliantly in the film, that I went to IMDB and was quite upset to find out:

Robert Walker (I) - Biography

That's very sad - I never knew that.

Sorry to be a bit OT but your list of favourites is very similar to mine.

Ah, a man of great taste.

:smashin:

Feel free to click the link in my sig to list your Desert Island Films.

Steve W

Looking at your list I see A Matter Of Life And Death.

Although I own the Powell Pressburger 9 DVD Collection I have never actually watched that film.

I have been looking forward to watching it for years, but have simply never got around to it since I want to make sure I don't have any distractions.

I suspect you are quite jealous.

:)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom