• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nearing insanity - A little help choosing required

matrixagent

Standard Member
So then, after so much deliberation I have decided that LCD/LED would be the best bet for me due to image retention from gaming in my case.

So here are the details of whats needed.

Ideal size range 46-50"
Max Budget: £1300(1900 if I'm willing to wait and there is something clearly better for my uses)
Sounds wise - I will be adding an amp and surround sound setup in the coming months.

It's gonna be used for mostly movie watching(horror, sci-fi mostly) Blu-Ray,DVD and freeview/sat.

Also long PC gaming sessions(left 4 dead 2, Quake 3, Quake world) - Lag is critical.

This is in a dim to pitch black room(we mostly play/watch at night...mostly)

I've been looking at the following beasties - online and in shop. I'm not loyal to any particular manufacturer.

LG 47LF7700(I've seen complaints about the auto dimmer on this)
SHARP AQUOS LC46LU700
SAMSUNG UE46B7020

any pointers on which would suit me best or is there something I'm missing?
I'm open to suggestion.

Cheers!

vickster

Distinguished Member
From what I have read, the Samsung would be the best of those, however Samsung LCD at least (and perhaps the LED LCD) are laggy

LG get good press for gaming due to low lag as does the Sony V series. However, the LF from LG is lower end and just has the Freesat tuner as a benefit

Perhaps look at the

LG 47LH5000 Seems a good price at the mo (and can get quidco cashback) LG 47LH5000 47" 1080p LCD TV - Cheap LG LCD TVs, Plasma TVs, HD Ready TVs

Sony 46V5500 with 3 year warranty SONY KDL46V5500 46" Full HD 1080 BRAVIA LCD TV with BRAVIA ENGINE 3

Or you can get the 52" for your budget SONY KDL52V5500 52In LCD TV

Or hang on a few months for the new models

matrixagent

Standard Member
Many thanks for your help!

I'd agree on the Samsung comment. After seeing a Samsung in richer sounds, The lag was quite noticable over everything else they had.

From hunting around - I think the LH5000 is my best bet(I've read on here about potential banding issues - but Unless anyone screams Bad joo joo, I'll take the risk)

If I'm correct the Sony's are not 100Hz?(I maybe wrong) if they are 100Hz then I'd be inclined to get one.

>> Just to add - would the Sony KDL52W5500 be a better choice ?

again - many thanks!

Last edited:

IvanDobskey

Established Member
I was in exactly the same situation and with a similar budget and i've plumped for the Sony X4500. It may not be the newest or slimmest of the LED LCD's but the spec of it outguns most. I paid £1399 for mine which will hopefully arrive on Thursday. I'll post back with my opinions if you like.

matrixagent

Standard Member
Ivan - Sure thing, I'm still hunting.

one thing I notice is the lack of reviews for the Sharp LC46LU700 which I'm still considering, but I'll only go for it if I can find a review of this thing in action.

The other problem being I'd like to use richer sounds for their excellent 5 year warranty service. They however do not sell the LG 47LH5000...but they do have the Sharp in stock.

Anyone got anything info on the Sharp LC46LU700 ?
*Update- Having just spoken to richer sounds the LC46LU700 is in fact the same panel and spec as the LC46LE700 with a slightly different frame(I'm now reading reviews of the LE700) also richer sounds are offering a free 5 year warranty.. not bad I guess.

or should I stop worrying about the warranty and get the LG from Dixons and be happy with the manufacturer warranty?

Cheers!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom