Question Near-wall bookshelf speakers to partner Marantz NR1510

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers to act as fronts in my home theatre setup. The room is fairly small (around 4m by 4m) and the layout means that speakers have to be installed very near to the wall (10-15cm away maximum).

I recently bought a Marantz NR1510 slimline AVR to drive the system (I don't have space for a full-size AVR) - It's currently paired with some old Mordaunt Short bookshelf speakers, but the rear ports create substantial bass booming, so I'm looking for speakers that are less sensitive to being positioned near the wall. My budget is ideally around £200, going up to £300 maximum. I've looked at a few speakers but they all seem to have pros and cons, and it's hard for me to demo speakers so it would be great to get some thoughts before I order.

The Elac Debut 6.2s get rave reviews but I've read they need to be driven hard to sound good - in a small room, with an amp that's only putting out 50W per channel, I'm concerned they won't be driven enough to get into their sweet spot (presumably the Debut 5.2s have the same issue). The Wharfedale Diamond 220s have an integrated port so are less position-sensitive, but they're an older/cheaper model so I'm not sure how they stack up. The Monitor Audio Bronze 2s are front-ported, but some reviews have mentioned they're still sensitive to being positioned near walls, and they're not easy to find now that they're discontinued.

Any thoughts and suggestions much appreciated!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Do you have subwoofer? What are the rest of speakers in your system and/or are you going to "match" them later in the road?

If you have subwoofer have you tried 80-100hz crossover for the Mordaunt Short speakers about 15cm away from walls? What about closing the rear port? Use some sock or something if you don´t have port bungs..

Hi Gasp - thanks for the reply! I've already plugged the rear port on the Mordaunts with a sponge that I cut to fit: the booming was too much. There's no subwoofer (or any other speakers) yet - the room isn't easy to fit a sub into so I'm trying to do what I can with bookshelf speakers first before I go down that path. I was hoping to expand the system with a matched centre and surround pair when I have the budget - or potentially use the Mordaunts as a surround pair temporarily after upgrading the fronts.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Gasp - thanks for the reply! I've already plugged the rear port on the Mordaunts with a sponge that I cut to fit: the booming was too much. There's no subwoofer (or any other speakers) yet - the room isn't easy to fit a sub into so I'm trying to do what I can with bookshelf speakers first before I go down that path. I was hoping to expand the system with a matched centre and surround pair when I have the budget - or potentially use the Mordaunts as a surround pair temporarily after upgrading the fronts.

The smaller Wharfedales should work fine close to boundaries, if we were to believe reviews. The 200 is old model and you should be looking the 11.1 model which is available in different finishes for 120-189£/pair on forum advertiser site. Click on the right side green "View 5more options" to see rest.. The center channel has same port design, under the speaker.

Main designer for Elac speakers Mr.Andrew Jones said in some interview that he wanted the port at front cause people want to place the speakers closer to walls generally. I have not read the claim you posted about needing to run hard, if that was in review you should go to AVSForum in Elac speaker owners thread and ask is that really the case.

Order both 11.1 and Debut 5.2 speakers home and make the final decision after listening both, maybe if can buy the other with finance then you can get both home and there is some returning period usually. 6.2 would make bit more sense regarding being bit more efficient as you have the slim line receiver, better bass extension as you don´t have sub. But will it sound good enough about 15cm forward. I hope the speakers won´t go in to corners, not inside any bookshelf -> speaker stands. If your couch is against the wall and speakers almost same then it`s no suprise that they sound bass heavy, move couch/seating forward if possible cause you don´t want to sit too close to boundaries where the low frequencies are boosted.

Clearly some kind of wall mounted speakers that are designed for that would be best choice, also if you are battling with floor space for the subwoofer then this would have been ideal, but they are usually quite slim, more expensive and will sound bit anemic without subwoofer.

parper

I'm running a pair of QA 3020i in a smallish room on a 10yr old budget Denon and am very pleased with them. The 1510 is next on the list to buy, assume you are pleased with yours?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom