Near perfect signal - still get breakup?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by OldSkoO1, Jan 18, 2008.

1. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Anyone who has a near perfect or strong signal - do you still get the very occasional blip or breakup?

I live 20 miles from my nearest / best transmitter. I used to have a 10yr/old ariel that only picked up 60% of the channels and left some unwatchable.

I just had a new ariel, a Triax Unix 52 installed with new down lead and i get all the channels now. Signal on my Humax 9200t PVR is now between 52 and 60% strength dependant on the mux. My quality is constantly 100% and i'm running 3 TV's from it fine.

However, sometimes, possibly between 1 and 4 times a night i get blips or breakups that happen but only last for about 2 - 5 sec's max - even on my strongest channels.

Is this normal, does it happen even you have a better strength or could it be birds or transmission hiccups?

Cheers

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    You might be picking up electrical interferance from somewhere. Central heating system or a fridge cutting in and out. Older unsuppressed equipment might be the cause.

3. gulliver dark

gulliver dark
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You have my sympathy (see my thread 'Nocturnal interference'). With yours it seems like the problem could have been there before but you weren't aware of it because the reception wasn't very good anyway.

The difference with mine is that I had it all up and running brilliantly, great reception on all channels till last November, since then I've been plagued by freezing and blipping.

But in answer to your question, can we get these problems with good signal strength and quality, the answer is a definite yes. My signal strength is nearly 100% and quality very good.

The answer - various things have been suggested (see aforementioned thread); I haven't done anything yet, been too busy, but it was suggested that I buy a new digibox.

4. Leaat23

Leaat23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    We too have this problem, I have a Toshiba 32" LCD with built in freeview, this has a very good signal that is near 100% and it still breaks up(split second blips/sound break up) on ITV stations, it's fine on BBC though.

We also have a Freeview box in the kitchen on a separate ariel , this also has a near 100% signal and breaks up in the same way.

I've come to the conclusion that this must be electrical interference that is causing this problem, when you switch the kettle on in the kitchen the picture on the TV freezes for a split second, I think the biggest problems are caused by thermostats/heaters switching on and off at random intervals and this could be hard to fix. Fitting suppressors to thermostats/heating pumps could be possible, but consult a qualified electrician before doing so.

5. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    100% strength or quality? It's the latter that matters in digital, where too much signal is bad and causes interference. You are right about interference from other devices.