(Near) invisible in-wall

colinb4987

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm designing a 5.1.2 home cinema/lounge. I've strict instructions that the room's primary function is a lounge. In other words:
Screen will be a 75" Samsung Frame or similar, so it looks like a/some pictures when "off"
Sub will have to be behind the MLP/sofa (in a bay window), tucked under a console table or similar Edit: SVS Micro 3000 acquired!
Visible FL & FR speakers are acceptable but not preferred (wall mounted SM8 prototypes from Custom Install Audio | Advanced audio equipment, floorstanding PMC Twenty 23s, or something matched to the surrounds and overheads)
Center, rear surrounds, and overheads all need to be near invisible - either plaster-over, or in-wall with grilles painted with the same paint as the wall/ceiling

All will be driven by my Yamaha RX-A3050, though I do have an A-S701 available for bi-amping or other shenanigans. Use will mainly be TV, sport, movies. I'd love to be able to listen to my music in this room too, but I could have a combined home office/listening room elsewhere (and thus no compromise on acoustic treatment)

In the plaster-over world, I'm aware of the Amina Mobius and Monitor Audio IV140. Anyone have any experience with either, or opinions on their relative value?

In the IW world, I'm aware of the Amina Edge, M&K IW (though that may be pushing the budget), Atlantic IW-115SR, PMC-WaferIW, and Monitor Audio's offerings. Again, any opinions on their relative value? Any other/better options? Are the grilles for all paintable?

Anything On Wall I should look at?

Budget is as low as possible, but it depends on the sound at the end of the day. I'd rather run cable and design cavities to accommodate future "good enough" speakers than compromise on mediocre speakers now. If it helps calibrate my listening preferences, I like transparency, detail, precision, and attack/rhythm. Main listening system was Naim NDX/NAC282/NAP into PMCs, then SM8s when I moved and had no space for floorstanders.

Last edited:
Some people buy a downward firing bk sub in a wood or matching with the rest of the decor/furniture finish to disguise as a side table/cabinet. Would that work?

Some people buy a downward firing bk sub in a wood or matching with the rest of the decor/furniture finish to disguise as a side table/cabinet. Would that work?
For the sub, yes. Issue is that it can't go in either front corner due to a door or furniture, nor along one side due to fireplace. I guess it could go underneath a side table next to the future armchair on the other side wall, of that were a preferable location (NW of MLP) vs. directly behind (S of MLP)

With room correction, the position of the sub isn't as critical. If there is more than one choice of position, the one which gives a higher peak(s) or lower null(s) is preferable.

Another alternative is a flat sub to hide behind a sofa. Dls, Gallos, Q Acoustics, Rel habitat, to name a few..or maybe even a micro sub, the svs 3000micro is tiny. I've not heard anything bad about it. It's a great price at the moment because svs prices are expected to rise, and very competitively priced compared to the competition, eg Kef kc62

With room correction, the position of the sub isn't as critical. If there is more than one choice of position, the one which gives a higher peak(s) or lower null(s) is preferable.

Another alternative is a flat sub to hide behind a sofa. Dls, Gallos, Q Acoustics, Rel habitat, to name a few..or maybe even a micro sub, the svs 3000micro is tiny. I've not heard anything bad about it. It's a great price at the moment because svs prices are expected to rise, and very competitively priced compared to the competition, eg Kef kc62
Well that's good to know, I'll take a look. Especially at the SVS given expected price rises!

Some users say the svs pb1000pro is at least or better than bk mono plus.

The 3000micro has technology from svs's higher end ranges that cost a lot more.

With room gain I would expect the 3000 micro to be very capable of deep bass. flat down to low 20s or below. There are a few YouTube reviews and one has a frequency curve showing plenty of output in the 20-40hz region.

Of course, such tiny cabinet and small drivers is inefficient so a much more powerful 800w rms rated amp is used to compensate. A single large driver would be a lot more efficient so 300-400w rms.

You got nothing to lose if you buy now before the price rise and if you don't like it, you can return it within the return period.

edit: just noticed you've edited your original post..Let us know how you get on..which finish did you go for?

Last edited:
Some users say the svs pb1000pro is at least or better than bk mono plus.

The 3000micro has technology from svs's higher end ranges that cost a lot more.

With room gain I would expect the 3000 micro to be very capable of deep bass. flat down to low 20s or below. There are a few YouTube reviews and one has a frequency curve showing plenty of output in the 20-40hz region.

Of course, such tiny cabinet and small drivers is inefficient so a much more powerful 800w rms rated amp is used to compensate. A single large driver would be a lot more efficient so 300-400w rms.

You got nothing to lose if you buy now before the price rise and if you don't like it, you can return it within the return period.

edit: just noticed you've edited your original post..Let us know how you get on..which finish did you go for?
Haha, yes, no sense in hanging around - as you say, there's always a return option!

Gloss black, kids will be banned from the room...

@Seriously Ltd You seem to have quite some experience with Amina and the like. Any views on the suitability/pros/cons of Amina Mobius for 5.1.2 in a 4x4m room with bay window? Vs MK IWs? Balancing WAF Vs sound Vs budget....

The Amina are very good and we have several on demonstration when our new showrooms opening end of this month.

The MK in walls will give better performance period. More output and detail

Oooh, sounds like I will have to find a way to get round the M25 and come for a listen. New showrooms in St Alban's?

What would you think to MK LCR, Amina rear and overhead, plus SVS sub?

Would love you to visit us.

I would suggest mid November.

That would work but Amina speakers will need to be installed professionally. We do offer this service.

Sub wise there are alternatives that we can discuss but we do supply SVS.

Great, I'll pencil it in and find a way to step away from the desk for a morning in mid-November. I'll contact you directly to schedule.

Good to know it would work; which MKs would you point me towards, given the relatively small size of the room (and a definitely limited though flexible) budget?

Edit: should have added that I've got the SVS sub on order, so that's taken care of

There is a large selection of MK.
In wall IW5, 85, 95, 950, 150, 300 plus discrete on wall solutions.

Understood re the SVS.

Just get in touch when you are read and it will be a pleasure to show you our new showrooms.

Quick update after back-and-forth with my wife. We will install plaster-overs (Amina or Monitor Audio) as rear and Atmos, or we will not have rear and Atmos.

LCR cannot protrude more than 50mm (ruling out all on-wall options from what I can tell), and we've agree to go with "budget" options - and if I still have the itch in the future, and have saved the cash, I can have bigger/better speakers.

So we're now looking at KEF Ci4100QL, MA WSS430, MA CP-380idc, MA CP-WT260, MA CP-WT240LCR. I'll post another thread to collect opinions on those.

Will put that to the judge :)

Anticipating questions - has anyone heard of or seen the results of someone painting these speakers?

Will put that to the judge :)

Anticipating questions - has anyone heard of or seen the results of someone painting these speakers?
I haven’t but I’m very intrigued to find out myself.

I am on a slightly longer lead that you are, but my remit is very similar and totally invisible would win me a lot of brownie points.

No input in painting the MK on walls yet though :-(

Subject to hearing Amina at Seriously Ltd's new demo rooms, I suspect I might end up with mainly Monitor IV140s, and edge epeards from there as needed/desired.

Or find another space to dedicate to listening and watching!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom